Baggage fees on airlines?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
So, it must be obvious I haven't been on a plane in awhile. I'm just trying to make flight reservations and the ticket for me is $220. It is $75 for my suitcase because it is 2 stops, 3 different 'flights'. Really? And guests gripe about the cost of FREE WiFi, breakfast, parking, etc?

Did you book the 2 stops on separate tickets or separate airlines? If you booked a "through" fare even on a 3rd party travel site it should only have charged you 2 baggage fees - inbound and outbound
Yes it sucks. I am waiting for them to install a Quarter slot machine to get into the toilets on the planes

Did you book the 2 stops on separate tickets or separate airlines? If you booked a "through" fare even on a 3rd party travel site it should only have charged you 2 baggage fees - inbound and outbound
Yes it sucks. I am waiting for them to install a Quarter slot machine to get into the toilets on the planes.
I went to the actual airline website and read their policies. The aggregator website said 'each flight' and had a section where you could book different airlines for different parts of the trip.
The upshot is that it is 'each way' not 'every time you change planes'. Still, $100 for the suitcases is a lot of money.
So, we're flying Jet Blue as they don't upcharge, they just charge more to start.

ah yes when you change airlines that can happen .... each of them wants to $crew you on their own!!

This last Christmas my daughter and Gran kids came for 15 days here in Virginia. She got stuck paying $75.00 extra for luggage. I told her to mail it all before she came, didnt take Moms advice ! I mailed 3 big big boxes after they left of items purchased here, clothing,etc (attic/basement items of her's) for $50.00.Mail it if possible at all. Had motorcycle guest do this, when they were staying for 6 days.Mary in Bwater.

This last Christmas my daughter and Gran kids came for 15 days here in Virginia. She got stuck paying $75.00 extra for luggage. I told her to mail it all before she came, didnt take Moms advice ! I mailed 3 big big boxes after they left of items purchased here, clothing,etc (attic/basement items of her's) for $50.00.Mail it if possible at all. Had motorcycle guest do this, when they were staying for 6 days.Mary in Bwater..
That was my plan for Germany but my cousin tells me that because he is retired, he cannot receive any package that weighs more than 1 pound via his APO adress. DANG!

This last Christmas my daughter and Gran kids came for 15 days here in Virginia. She got stuck paying $75.00 extra for luggage. I told her to mail it all before she came, didnt take Moms advice ! I mailed 3 big big boxes after they left of items purchased here, clothing,etc (attic/basement items of her's) for $50.00.Mail it if possible at all. Had motorcycle guest do this, when they were staying for 6 days.Mary in Bwater..
That was my plan for Germany but my cousin tells me that because he is retired, he cannot receive any package that weighs more than 1 pound via his APO adress. DANG!
gillumhouse said:
Has international baggage rules changed? When we went in '09 we did not pay for checked luggage as long as it was in weight limits and I think 2 bags pp.

Yep, it stinks. I don't check bags except for international travel, which is still "free". It's not just the cost, it's bags getting lost.
Southwest Airlines will be coming to our big airport soon and I'm hoping that they still don't charge for bags when they do!
No meals either - don't forget to bring your packaged snacks if you're traveling a good distance or be prepared to buy whatever is available in the airport terminals....

gillumhouse said:
Has international baggage rules changed? When we went in '09 we did not pay for checked luggage as long as it was in weight limits and I think 2 bags pp.
He is going to tell me how much weight I can have - he thinks it is going to be 50 pounds. Suitcase is duffle-type so that will not add too much to the weight. Not like the old Samsonite luggage.

gillumhouse said:
He is going to tell me how much weight I can have - he thinks it is going to be 50 pounds. Suitcase is duffle-type so that will not add too much to the weight. Not like the old Samsonite luggage.
I would recommend that it's best for you to go to the airlines website and check for yourself on baggage limitations and other current TSA stuff for your travel when the date gets close.

As nutty as the fees have gotten, I can foresee the day when they will have scales at the gate and if you weight more than some skinny mini designated weight, they will charge the passenger by the pound for being overweight. Can you see that scenario happening? LOL
I don't fly anymore. It's too much of a hassle. There is no where I really want to go anyway that I cannot reasonably drive or sail to.

Two words: carry on. I traveled for two years with carry-on only. It Is Possible.

Two words: carry on. I traveled for two years with carry-on only. It Is Possible..
thumbs_up.gif

when I lived in the USA I posted back a ton of stuff but was still over weight LOL so had to pay a bit but when you are stood at the desk your hands are a bit tied.

Back