Bah Humbug Martha

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most important rule of muffins... don't over beat. Use a simple fork and beat just enough that most is moist, but you still have lumps. Over mixing the flour activates the gluten in the flour, which will create a muffin that is too dry and has large air pockets.
Also, they will bake better from cold or frozen as long as you are using double acting baking powder or "magic" baking powder as we call it around here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nymbeW8fTJY.
This stuff was so thick I could barely mix it at all. Had the worst time folding in the blueberries. They were popping and getting the batter all blue.
We're going to grill them in the morning so that will add in a little butter to make them less dry. The mini ones came out better. Maybe I'll just knock 5 minutes off the bake time.
The amount of liquid must be wrong. Batter should be liquidy but lumpy. The key is lumpy. If it isn't lumpy, it was mixed too much.
Smooth as can be but thick. The recipe called for 1 c of milk and 6 tbsp butter. I was thinking after the 2nd c of flour that it was going to be way too much flour. But the recipe was 3 c plus 2 tbsp.
Everyone liked them. They asked for the recipe! So, maybe I just like my muffins moist and sweet and other people don't.
Did the recipe call for melted butter and you use hard butter? Was there egg? Incidentally with blueberries, either frozen (never thawed) or fresh. You can't use thawed, unless you want a purple batter.
1 egg, 2 egg yolks. Room temp butter. Frozen blueberries. I don't want no stinkin' Barney muffins! (But, really, the batter was so thick I could not gracefully mix in the blueberries.)

Most important rule of muffins... don't over beat. Use a simple fork and beat just enough that most is moist, but you still have lumps. Over mixing the flour activates the gluten in the flour, which will create a muffin that is too dry and has large air pockets.
Also, they will bake better from cold or frozen as long as you are using double acting baking powder or "magic" baking powder as we call it around here.
This stuff was so thick I could barely mix it at all. Had the worst time folding in the blueberries. They were popping and getting the batter all blue.
We're going to grill them in the morning so that will add in a little butter to make them less dry. The mini ones came out better. Maybe I'll just knock 5 minutes off the bake time.
The amount of liquid must be wrong. Batter should be liquidy but lumpy. The key is lumpy. If it isn't lumpy, it was mixed too much.
Smooth as can be but thick. The recipe called for 1 c of milk and 6 tbsp butter. I was thinking after the 2nd c of flour that it was going to be way too much flour. But the recipe was 3 c plus 2 tbsp.
Everyone liked them. They asked for the recipe! So, maybe I just like my muffins moist and sweet and other people don't.
Did the recipe call for melted butter and you use hard butter? Was there egg? Incidentally with blueberries, either frozen (never thawed) or fresh. You can't use thawed, unless you want a purple batter.
1 egg, 2 egg yolks. Room temp butter. Frozen blueberries. I don't want no stinkin' Barney muffins! (But, really, the batter was so thick I could not gracefully mix in the blueberries.)
The egg yolks are to add richness, the butter is the "oil" but I would actually switch it out to oil instead. It's likely not doing what it should do in this recipe, especially with blueberries.

The egg yolks are to add richness, the butter is the "oil" but I would actually switch it out to oil instead. It's likely not doing what it should do in this recipe, especially with blueberries.
I noticed all the other recipes have oil, so that's the way to go next time.

I noticed all the other recipes have oil, so that's the way to go next time.
Butter certainly tastes better, but it's subtle taste is hidden by the blueberries. You might as well just use a neutral oil like vegetable or canola.

This is a recipe that I have been using for 40 years. (Betty Cro cker as I recall) It is very easy, quick and never fails to please. I use it with blueberries but other mix-ins would also work I'm sure.
Preheat oven to 400 degree (I use convect), butter 12, 1/2 cup size, or 24 regular muffin slots)
Toss 2 cups berries with flour, set aside. Combine 1/2 cup sugar with 1/2 teas cinnamon, set aside.
Bowl #1: Combine
3 cups King Art. flour
1 cup sugar
4 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. salt
Bowl #2: Combine
2 eggs, slightly beaten with fork
1 cup milk (I use 1%)
1/2 cup corn oil
Add bowl #1 to bowl #2 and stir gently until almost all dry is mixed in. Gently fold in berries until evenly distributed. Do not over mix.
Fill muffin tins 3/4 full and sprinkle tops with cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake 18-20 minutes, until tops are lightly browned..
Betty Crocker. You know I should just stick with the one and only cookbook I had when I first moved away from home! The cover is gone, the book is beat to heck but the best recipes are in there!
(10 years ago I had a bookstore. I have a hundred cookbooks left over from that venture but BC is the best one of the bunch!)
I just made 4 loaves of zucchini bread with a Betty Crocker recipe. Good 'ol fashioned and yummy. Same recipe made good muffins too. Sometimes we forget just going for the basic. Especially when I see all those yummy recipes on pinterest!

This is a recipe that I have been using for 40 years. (Betty Cro cker as I recall) It is very easy, quick and never fails to please. I use it with blueberries but other mix-ins would also work I'm sure.
Preheat oven to 400 degree (I use convect), butter 12, 1/2 cup size, or 24 regular muffin slots)
Toss 2 cups berries with flour, set aside. Combine 1/2 cup sugar with 1/2 teas cinnamon, set aside.
3 cups King Art. flour
1 cup sugar
4 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. salt
1 cup milk (I use 1%)
1/2 cup corn oil
Add bowl #1 to bowl #2 and stir gently until almost all dry is mixed in. Gently fold in berries until evenly distributed. Do not over mix.
Fill muffin tins 3/4 full and sprinkle tops with cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake 18-20 minutes, until tops are lightly browned..
Betty Crocker. You know I should just stick with the one and only cookbook I had when I first moved away from home! The cover is gone, the book is beat to heck but the best recipes are in there!
(10 years ago I had a bookstore. I have a hundred cookbooks left over from that venture but BC is the best one of the bunch!)
Madeleine said:
Owning a bookstore was my second dream. My favorite are old cookbooks and children's books. I hope ebooks never replace those.

3 cups King Art. flour
1 cup sugar
4 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. salt
1 cup milk (I use 1%)
1/2 cup corn oil
Madeleine said:
Owning a bookstore was my second dream. My favorite are old cookbooks and children's books. I hope ebooks never replace those.
Country Girl said:
Madeleine said:
You should meander north sometime and go to Rabelais. A bookstore all about food & wine.

3 cups King Art. flour
1 cup sugar
4 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. salt
1 cup milk (I use 1%)
1/2 cup corn oil
Madeleine said:
Country Girl said:
Madeleine said:
You should meander north sometime and go to Rabelais. A bookstore all about food & wine.
Madeleine said:
Country Girl said:
Madeleine said:
regular_smile.gif
Oh, I might never leave a bookstore like that!

Back