Bait and Switch

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
People are so disillusioned. It seems everyone is trying to rip them off. We no longer trust those we are buying from, how can we?
Our guests went to a local landmark, where they filmed "Di rt ee D nc eeng". I am not sending this out for them to find this post, the guest can complain if they wish.
The lodge had recently undergone a major overhaul in the millions. They are fans of this movie, so went there for an anniv dinner. It is the 26th anniv of this film as well, and the major star has since passed on.
They see a bottle of wine that donates something. If you buy a bottle a tree will be planted...that sort of thing.
They order it.
The waitress comes back with a diff bottle, "I am sorry that one is not in stock, but this is a lovely wine, similar...blah blah blah." (For more $, of course, you already saw it coming)
He says "I really only wanted a beer, so we will not have wine this evening." As he was ordering it to plant the tree on their anniversary...
The waitress comes back with an "Oh look I found one!" and prepares to open the bottle of wine. He lets her know they are not interested.
So all that to say - this ruined their dinner. Ruined their anniversary. They came all this way from PA and it robbed them! It really got my goat too...

If people can't turn a reasonable profit running a business honestly, then they really shouldn't run a business at all.
There's a restaurant in Gran Canaria we liked, always ate there during our visits to the island. Went with friends and found items on our bill that we didn't have. Mistake, possibly. Went back the following year and 4 coffees on our bill we never had. Coincidence, there was only two of us. Never been back since.

Soooooo . . . they have one bottle that never actually gets sold. No trees were planted that day. Keep an eye on that place. They're trying to fund their renovations any way they can, no matter how unscrupulous. Karma and the internet will take care of them, but in the meantime, what a punch in the gut for everyone trying to do the right thing for their guests.

we have had this locally in several restaurants - stuff on bills people have already paid for ie drinks at the bar paid for then re-appear on the bill - could be a one off mistake if it wasn't happening more and more often. Trouble is conference guests come say once a year or once and never again, restaurants see them as a cash cow to be milked while they are here - forgetting trip a dv iser lasts for every. Had this will a group of 10 ladies staying with me they kept very carefull watch on how many bottles etc as had been had before so knew they were being bilked. I warn people to keep an eye generally as its good advice

On another forum, an innkeeper was complaining that she had made a mistake on the room rate next year and of course someone booked it at the lower rate (approx $50 difference per night). She contacted the guest because she wanted to charge them the higher rate. Of course the guest got very angry and said they would not give up their reservation (a confirmation letter had been sent to the guest) and the guest read her the riot act. The innkeeper still wanted to cancel them.
I told her that she should "suck it up", it's a lesson she won't ever make again and I said that it could be considered bait and switch. WELL, I was called out by the 'moderator' that using the term "suck it up" was offensive. Sheesh...
Bottom line is whenever it feels like bait and switch, it is!!

If people can't turn a reasonable profit running a business honestly, then they really shouldn't run a business at all.
There's a restaurant in Gran Canaria we liked, always ate there during our visits to the island. Went with friends and found items on our bill that we didn't have. Mistake, possibly. Went back the following year and 4 coffees on our bill we never had. Coincidence, there was only two of us. Never been back since..
Highlands John said:
There's a restaurant in Gran Canaria we liked, always ate there during our visits to the island. Went with friends and found items on our bill that we didn't have. Mistake, possibly. Went back the following year and 4 coffees on our bill we never had. Coincidence, there was only two of us. Never been back since.
and what happens in that situation is the server can take the money, then refund or void it from the bill after you leave (if you paid cash). Then pocket the money. It happens all the time.

On another forum, an innkeeper was complaining that she had made a mistake on the room rate next year and of course someone booked it at the lower rate (approx $50 difference per night). She contacted the guest because she wanted to charge them the higher rate. Of course the guest got very angry and said they would not give up their reservation (a confirmation letter had been sent to the guest) and the guest read her the riot act. The innkeeper still wanted to cancel them.
I told her that she should "suck it up", it's a lesson she won't ever make again and I said that it could be considered bait and switch. WELL, I was called out by the 'moderator' that using the term "suck it up" was offensive. Sheesh...
Bottom line is whenever it feels like bait and switch, it is!!.
Breakfast Diva said:
You can use suck it up any time you want here.
shades_smile.gif

The innkeeper should give them the rate they booked. We have all done that, we DO have to suck it up. Cowboyup, howz that.

Soooooo . . . they have one bottle that never actually gets sold. No trees were planted that day. Keep an eye on that place. They're trying to fund their renovations any way they can, no matter how unscrupulous. Karma and the internet will take care of them, but in the meantime, what a punch in the gut for everyone trying to do the right thing for their guests..
IronGate said:
Soooooo . . . they have one bottle that never actually gets sold. No trees were planted that day. Keep an eye on that place. They're trying to fund their renovations any way they can, no matter how unscrupulous. Karma and the internet will take care of them, but in the meantime, what a punch in the gut for everyone trying to do the right thing for their guests.
I don't blame the place, I blame the server trying to increase her gratuity %. Yeah it is pretty rotten. Made me feel bad they were treated that way. We get kinda defensive for our guests at times, moreso than for the locals. Is this wrong or right? I don't know, the guests are paying us, we are giving money back locally all over the place.

Breakfast Diva said:
shades_smile.gif

The innkeeper should give them the rate they booked. We have all done that, we DO have to suck it up. Cowboyup, howz that.
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
shades_smile.gif

heart.gif
Yup, no nambie, pambie stuff here!

Everybody hates bait and switch, and most people can see through it. Horrible way to do business. It WOULD be interesting to know if it's a business-wide thing, or just this one server trying to upsell to get a bigger tip.
Breakfast Diva said:
...an innkeeper was complaining that she had made a mistake...I told her that she should "suck it up", it's a lesson she won't ever make again and I said that it could be considered bait and switch.
It's one thing to stick to your guns over money when you're absolutely in the right (and even THAT is often not a good idea), but to be the one who made the mistake and still want to get that money is just crazy. No wonder the guest got mad. Anybody would.
I take back what I said on another post about innkeepers being smarter than the average bear (old Yogi Bear reference). In this case we've found an innkeeper who's not a smart business person.

Hate when this stuff happens. We haven't had guests tell us anything like that. Thank goodness. But it's happened to us. And I call them on it every stinkin' time.
However, on the point that they said it ruined their whole anniversary that's a little much. Stuff happens. Servers can be idiots trying to up the tab but a lot of that comes from the house, not the server. Still, it's not the stuff of ruined vacation.
I just realized I did not charge a deposit but sent the rez out saying I did. I am not eating that one.

Being peeved over that is one thing, having it ruin the entire anniversary trip is quite another. They had not previously planned on having wine, it was just a last min thought and the idea a tree would be planted was a bonus. So the server did this, they did not take the bait good for them. Move on and forget it.
What a waste to have something like that make your entire trip go sour. I know their stay with you was great, how could it not be a great weekend. They ate where they had wanted, other than the wine thing was the food good? Letting one tiny part of a holiday ruin the experience is all in the guest mind. Sad! And additionally it is sad because it will play in their mind and have their stay with you get clumped up in their unhappy experience.
I understand the feeling of being (attempt) ripped off, and do not like that type of thing either. I would not go back and I would have asked for the manager before leaving to express my feelings on the matter. It could very well be the mgr had no idea this was happening and if he was being called on it may make him see the error of his ways. Dissatisfied patrons will not lead to future patrons!

Hate when this stuff happens. We haven't had guests tell us anything like that. Thank goodness. But it's happened to us. And I call them on it every stinkin' time.
However, on the point that they said it ruined their whole anniversary that's a little much. Stuff happens. Servers can be idiots trying to up the tab but a lot of that comes from the house, not the server. Still, it's not the stuff of ruined vacation.
I just realized I did not charge a deposit but sent the rez out saying I did. I am not eating that one..
Madeleine said:
I just realized I did not charge a deposit but sent the rez out saying I did. I am not eating that one.
They didn't say that. I said that to you here. I could see how deflated they were after being so excited to dine there. I asked THEM how the meal was, otherwise I would not have known. This place just had a multimillion dollar overhaul, so I wanted to find out what they thought. THAT was what they thought. Like we say, the one negative is what jumps out at us.
and btw I sent them "a tree has been planted in your honor in a national forest" thank you card with a Muir quote. So they got their dang tree planted for their anniversary. haha
heart.gif

Being peeved over that is one thing, having it ruin the entire anniversary trip is quite another. They had not previously planned on having wine, it was just a last min thought and the idea a tree would be planted was a bonus. So the server did this, they did not take the bait good for them. Move on and forget it.
What a waste to have something like that make your entire trip go sour. I know their stay with you was great, how could it not be a great weekend. They ate where they had wanted, other than the wine thing was the food good? Letting one tiny part of a holiday ruin the experience is all in the guest mind. Sad! And additionally it is sad because it will play in their mind and have their stay with you get clumped up in their unhappy experience.
I understand the feeling of being (attempt) ripped off, and do not like that type of thing either. I would not go back and I would have asked for the manager before leaving to express my feelings on the matter. It could very well be the mgr had no idea this was happening and if he was being called on it may make him see the error of his ways. Dissatisfied patrons will not lead to future patrons!.
Sorry I guess I explained it too dramatically.
They didn't say the whole weekend was ruined. It was just the big let down of the excitement of going there and having someone try to cheat them.
Maybe it was ME who was let down moreso than the guests? Probably.
thumbs_down.gif

I just realized I did not charge a deposit but sent the rez out saying I did. I am not eating that one..
Madeleine said:
They didn't say that. I said that to you here. I could see how deflated they were after being so excited to dine there. I asked THEM how the meal was, otherwise I would not have known. This place just had a multimillion dollar overhaul, so I wanted to find out what they thought. THAT was what they thought. Like we say, the one negative is what jumps out at us.
and btw I sent them "a tree has been planted in your honor in a national forest" thank you card with a Muir quote. So they got their dang tree planted for their anniversary. haha
heart.gif

JB, you're amazing. What a kind and thoughtful thing to do.

Madeleine said:
heart.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
heart.gif
That was wonderfully generous of you.

I understand the feeling of being (attempt) ripped off, and do not like that type of thing either. I would not go back and I would have asked for the manager before leaving to express my feelings on the matter. It could very well be the mgr had no idea this was happening and if he was being called on it may make him see the error of his ways. Dissatisfied patrons will not lead to future patrons!.
Sorry I guess I explained it too dramatically.
They didn't say the whole weekend was ruined. It was just the big let down of the excitement of going there and having someone try to cheat them.
thumbs_down.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
thumbs_down.gif
We do take the guest's disappointments to heart even when it has nothing to do with us.

I hate bait&switch. I really really hate it. I have actually walked out of a store immediately to buy the product elsewhere unless a rain cheque was offered immediately. And when a store didn't offer a rain cheque, I have actually made the formal complaint with the government, so that they can be fined for not offering the rain cheque. Yup, unless they have sufficient stock on site on the day that the item goes on sale and are willing to show and prove that they did, and they didn't specify how many were available at each store, they MUST provide a rain cheque, even if they write "no rain cheques", at least around here.

I did the same thing the other morning. Phone got me out of bed, so I was not at my best. Normally I'll ask people to call back later, but they wanted to book that night so I took the booking. They quoted a price and I confirmed it was correct. It wasn't till I came off the phone that I realised they'd quoted the winter rate.
Just have to "suck it up" and accept, wouldn't dream of then going back to the guest and trying to up the rate.

There's a restaurant in Gran Canaria we liked, always ate there during our visits to the island. Went with friends and found items on our bill that we didn't have. Mistake, possibly. Went back the following year and 4 coffees on our bill we never had. Coincidence, there was only two of us. Never been back since..
Highlands John said:
and what happens in that situation is the server can take the money, then refund or void it from the bill after you leave (if you paid cash). Then pocket the money. It happens all the time.
Joey Bloggs said:
Highlands John said:
I'm sure that happens a lot, but in this instance it's very much a family business and all the waiting staff are family and been there for years.

Back