baked goods

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McQuade72

Reaction score
Allare very helpful much appreciated! We do a continental breakfast and are looking at Sams for bagels and breads for daily eating. Do you guys have any other good advice for a lesser $$ money way or any tips?

I'm the odd guy (8 room motel) that doesn't serve a breakfast so I can't really contribute beyond commenting as an outsider on the subject. We like the sweet rolls (Big Tex) at Sam's for whatever that's worth, my traveling and Bed and Breakfast visits are rather limited, okay one B&B stay, but the big country breakfast was a large part of my motivation.

Baked goods here are homemade (as opposed to home baked or store-bought) but I would not dis anyone for either. I only have 3 rooms in Podunk, not in the tourist revolving door areas.

You could check with a local baker to supply these items fresh for you, however we have found because we cannot justify- or provide them a standing order of a certain min. quantity they just didn't work out. We also have entree items and the bread/pastries are available upon request or as an extra side, not a main course item such as the bagel would be for the continental breakfast spread.
Not sure where you are located, but we have frequently used Sams Club, Gordons and even the local grocery store for certain baked goods. (mostly bagels and croissants) Panera's has a "Tuesday Bagel Special" and sometimes we will offer their sesame seed bagels with cream cheese and Smoked Salmon entree. In a pinch, and to fill up a crowd, I've even used the frozen biscuits - pretty amazing with homemade jams & honey! I mean seriously, who would complain about the (pre-frozen), freshly baked biscuit when it's smothered with butter and homemade strawberry jam!!! (Not that I announce it or let anyone see the package!)
I do make my own bread, muffins, coffee cakes and other fruit cobblers. If I see a specialty bread that I can make part of a meal, then I will get that and offer it...with homemade jams or as a "artisan" toast to go with a certain egg dish.
Biggest point - If nobody is complaining - and it's something you would eat if you were traveling (a good litmus test!) then sometimes simple/pre-baked/easy is a good thing! One less thing to put your limited time into to make it a good experience for your guests!

We have a max of 6 guests, so I bake my own rolls each morning, but i cheat. Or as a guest who I 'fessed up to the other day said... It's not cheating it's mechanical assistance.
The night before I put all the ingredients in the bread machine (a cheap one, £45, nothing fancy) and press "dough".
It takes 1hour 30m, when it's done (or some time before I go to bed) I take the dough out, cut up, put in to silicon mini loaf tins, cover with oiled cling film and put in the fridge.
In the morning the first thing I do before getting dressed/ablutions is take the rolls out of the fridge and put in the oven still covered, on the lowest setting, this gives the rise a extra boost.
Once I'm in the kitchen I remove from oven, turn up to 180c and once the oven is hot take the cling film off, dust with flour and bake.
Voila!!!! Freshly baked rolls for breakfast and house full of the smell of baking bread. And you don't even have to get up at 5am to kneed the dough.
I change the recipe each morning, this morning I did potato bread, others are granary, maple & oatmeal, spelt & bulgur wheat, buttermilk, poppy seed, wholemeal and polenta.
I make 1 per person, I've written adjusted quantities in my recipe book for either 4 or 6 rolls (machine wont work with 2). DH has a wicker basket lined with a white napkin and serves each person with their roll for a little extra theatre.
Sounds like a faff, but after a while you do it without thinking about it. The only trick is getting the moisture content of the dough right for the extra rise to work in the morning. After the machine has been running for a few minutes I check, the dough should be sticky to the touch but not so wet that the blade is smearing it across the bottom of the pan. Adjust by adding more flour or liquid.

We buy coffee cakes for $4.99 at the local grocery bakery. People rave! I can’t do any better, so I keep buying.

Smitten Kitchen has an online recipe for cream biscuits that is so easy and good even I can make them. Even better, you can make them up to the baking point , wrap them with plastic film and freeze. When you want to serve them take them out and pop in the oven for16 mins. I make my own coffeecakes and muffins. I do have a few hacks.... put cinnemon buns from the roll in to a muffin tin and bake. I make a caramel and drizzle them and put pecans on.then the icing! Also Krustez Cinnemon coffee cake mix is great you can make it plain or add fruit.

Back