Baking Bacon?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I 'bake' my bacon in the microwave. I use a microwave bacon pan, then cover with a microwave plate cover which has raised areas where the grease drains during cooking. Takes about 4-5 minutes depending on thickness. Always comes out flat and golden brown.
But for serving a crowd, you could not cook all at once.

I always cook my bacon this way. I don't use foil, or racks, or anything.
I just put as much bacon as I can fit on a baking/cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes (depends on the type of bacon, the amount of fat, etc.) Bake it until it's brown or it will be too limp. This morning's came out absolutely perfect! Mmmm.
We have bikers (cyclists) here today... one is a vegetarian who'll eat dairy and eggs (how easy is that??). I made plenty of bacon--all gone. Huge batch of pancakes (the ones I always have too many of)--only two left. Hashbrowns--almost gone. Fruit splits (large)--wiped out.
So what if they are big eaters? No one leaves here hungry if I have anything to do with it, and if they know of other cyclists we'd love to have the business. This is our second cyclist group in two weeks... Ohio has lots and lots of little backroads which are great for bike rides. I need to figure out how to market to them!
=)
Kk.

Waiting for the report back on bakin' the bacon :)
I tried this in the beginning and couldn't get it crisp enough. I fry it up in a pan with my vent hood going full blast.
Like I said before - bacon (applewood or peppered) is the breakfast pork favorite so far with the link sausages coming in second. I did serve some gourmet organic chicken and apple sausage links to some guests last weekend for their second breakfast and they loved it! I thought I'd try it after a discussion where they mentioned trying to cut down on pork...a challenge since we are in the South!

I tried this in the beginning and couldn't get it crisp enough. I fry it up in a pan with my vent hood going full blast.
Like I said before - bacon (applewood or peppered) is the breakfast pork favorite so far with the link sausages coming in second. I did serve some gourmet organic chicken and apple sausage links to some guests last weekend for their second breakfast and they loved it! I thought I'd try it after a discussion where they mentioned trying to cut down on pork...a challenge since we are in the South!.
Samster said:
Like I said before - bacon (applewood or peppered) is the breakfast pork favorite so far with the link sausages coming in second. I did serve some gourmet organic chicken and apple sausage links to some guests last weekend for their second breakfast and they loved it! I thought I'd try it after a discussion where they mentioned trying to cut down on pork...a challenge since we are in the South!
Apple sausage sounds good! I asked (don't jump on me, please, anyone) if guests would like sausage with their breakfast and she replied, 'I'd rather have bacon instead.' OK, the choice was sausage or no sausage, so I just said we didn't have bacon. It's not a restaurant, honey. Myabe I should phrase it, 'Would you like sausage or no sausage with...?'

I've never served bacon yet. Only chicken apple sausages. I use the small links and bake them in the oven until they are done and then transfer them to a pan and cook them in apple juice until the juice evaporates leaving a sweet coating to the sausage. People seem to like them.

Like I said before - bacon (applewood or peppered) is the breakfast pork favorite so far with the link sausages coming in second. I did serve some gourmet organic chicken and apple sausage links to some guests last weekend for their second breakfast and they loved it! I thought I'd try it after a discussion where they mentioned trying to cut down on pork...a challenge since we are in the South!.
Samster said:
Apple sausage sounds good! I asked (don't jump on me, please, anyone) if guests would like sausage with their breakfast and she replied, 'I'd rather have bacon instead.' OK, the choice was sausage or no sausage, so I just said we didn't have bacon. It's not a restaurant, honey. Myabe I should phrase it, 'Would you like sausage or no sausage with...?'
They were pretty good and these guests were reliable on the feedback. The Emeril chicken and apple sausages that I've bought at Sam's for us are really good too. I let the men in my family talk me out of serving them to our guests (the whole "pork is King" here) but I'm going to get some to serve from time to time. A nice change and you can slice them and serve that way.

bacon BAKED came out fine.
i didn't notice that nice bacon smell that wafts through the house but guests seemed to like the bacon (i didn't have any) it took about 40 minutes to cook two big pans of it
i used the broiling pans, lined each with foil, then put the slotted pans that fit in the broiling pans over the foil. much much much less hassle than bacon cooking on the stove. no bacon grease all over the place, just in the oven and in the pans. most seems to have dripped down under the slotted pans and not all over the inside oven walls.
it stayed much flatter also.
re the sausage or no sausage ... i just ask if they want sausage. and, yes, folks say 'do you have xyz?' or 'i will have xyz instead.' happens all the time. and i say, 'sorry - we just have sausage today.'
yesterday i did big belgiun waffles. so of course the kids ran into the breakfast room today and told me they were ready for a waffle. i told them sorry, eggs today. a little disappointed but oh well. i wasn't going to get the waffle makers going and mix up batter for them ... could have if i'd been SURE that some big grownup kids wouldn't walk in and ask for waffles as well. waffles are less work for me than made to order eggs.
wink_smile.gif
but i already had made the bacon and biscuits, sooooo
that's it.

What kind of waffle iron do you use seashanty? I bought the Waring waffle maker that has the timed beep noises for when it is done. I just started serving waffles this year. I am only doing it when I have one or two rooms rented because I only have one waffle maker and it takes a long time to get them out. Do you have multiple waffle makers?

bacon BAKED came out fine.
i didn't notice that nice bacon smell that wafts through the house but guests seemed to like the bacon (i didn't have any) it took about 40 minutes to cook two big pans of it
i used the broiling pans, lined each with foil, then put the slotted pans that fit in the broiling pans over the foil. much much much less hassle than bacon cooking on the stove. no bacon grease all over the place, just in the oven and in the pans. most seems to have dripped down under the slotted pans and not all over the inside oven walls.
it stayed much flatter also.
re the sausage or no sausage ... i just ask if they want sausage. and, yes, folks say 'do you have xyz?' or 'i will have xyz instead.' happens all the time. and i say, 'sorry - we just have sausage today.'
yesterday i did big belgiun waffles. so of course the kids ran into the breakfast room today and told me they were ready for a waffle. i told them sorry, eggs today. a little disappointed but oh well. i wasn't going to get the waffle makers going and mix up batter for them ... could have if i'd been SURE that some big grownup kids wouldn't walk in and ask for waffles as well. waffles are less work for me than made to order eggs.
wink_smile.gif
but i already had made the bacon and biscuits, sooooo
that's it..
Good for you. 20 guests you don't need special orders over what you were prepared to do. And most KIDS handle that better than the adults do!

What kind of waffle iron do you use seashanty? I bought the Waring waffle maker that has the timed beep noises for when it is done. I just started serving waffles this year. I am only doing it when I have one or two rooms rented because I only have one waffle maker and it takes a long time to get them out. Do you have multiple waffle makers?.
oceans said:
What kind of waffle iron do you use seashanty? I bought the Waring waffle maker that has the timed beep noises for when it is done. I just started serving waffles this year. I am only doing it when I have one or two rooms rented because I only have one waffle maker and it takes a long time to get them out. Do you have multiple waffle makers?
You can hot hold the waffles in the oven for up to 10 minutes so you can get more of them done. We have the Waring and don't do waffles that often, but they go over well when we do.

I just put as much bacon as I can fit on a baking/cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes (depends on the type of bacon, the amount of fat, etc.) Bake it until it's brown or it will be too limp. This morning's came out absolutely perfect! Mmmm.
We have bikers (cyclists) here today... one is a vegetarian who'll eat dairy and eggs (how easy is that??). I made plenty of bacon--all gone. Huge batch of pancakes (the ones I always have too many of)--only two left. Hashbrowns--almost gone. Fruit splits (large)--wiped out.
So what if they are big eaters? No one leaves here hungry if I have anything to do with it, and if they know of other cyclists we'd love to have the business. This is our second cyclist group in two weeks... Ohio has lots and lots of little backroads which are great for bike rides. I need to figure out how to market to them!
=)
Kk..
YS, I am not commenting on the bacon, but on the bikers. Are you a stop on these bikers' courses? I am curious to know how you got started with that concept...

=)
Kk..
YS, I am not commenting on the bacon, but on the bikers. Are you a stop on these bikers' courses? I am curious to know how you got started with that concept...
emspiers said:
I can't claim to have started anything!
The first group was two couples biking from the Indiana border clear across the state. Just something they wanted to do. One of the husbands had picked out the route himself. They had camped the night before and were camping the night after staying here. (I think three nights altogehter, four days biking.) The women were delighted to see blow dryers. The men were bummed to learn that between here and their next stop is a very deep valley... with corresponding hill back up the other side.
Today's group was a father, son, and son's friend. Son and friend looked to be late 20's. Apparently they biked around Lake Erie in the past, by taking a truck and taking turns driving and cycling. This time wife and mom showed up with luggage (surprise! sorry my hands are full of laundry!), and a BIL came to pick the bags up today. In today's case they were cycling a route from a book of bike trips in the Western Reserve (i.e., Ohio). This one was called the college loop... they started in Medina and went through Oberlin, Ashland, and Wooster (each has a college).
In both cases they decided to stay in Ashland and found me online. We let them park in the garage, are walking distance to a few restaurants, and feed them a good, hardy breakfast.
=)
Kk.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
So, does the bacon actually crisp? Wouldn't like to serve OR eat limp bacon.
What about partially cooking it the night before and finishing it off in the morning to cut down on prep-time?

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
What about partially cooking it the night before and finishing it off in the morning to cut down on prep-time?
Proud Texan said:
YellowSocks said:
Oh yes, nice and crisp... you have to make sure it's brown or don't take it out. That's how restaurants get those nice straight pieces of bacon for your bacon cheeseburger... they bake it.
You can do it the night before and reheat in a toaster oven, regular oven, or even on the stovetop.
=)
Kk.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Proud Texan said:
YellowSocks said:
Oh yes, nice and crisp... you have to make sure it's brown or don't take it out. That's how restaurants get those nice straight pieces of bacon for your bacon cheeseburger... they bake it.
You can do it the night before and reheat in a toaster oven, regular oven, or even on the stovetop.
=)
Kk.
DW just asked about the splatter in the oven. Doesn't it make a mess or do you cover it with foil?

Samster said:
I did serve some gourmet organic chicken and apple sausage links to some guests last weekend for their second breakfast and they loved it! I thought I'd try it after a discussion where they mentioned trying to cut down on pork...a challenge since we are in the South!
The only source we have for those is Whole Foods in Dallas (about 2 hours away). They're kind of expensive aren't they? Do you have a local source? (They're delicious BTW)

What kind of waffle iron do you use seashanty? I bought the Waring waffle maker that has the timed beep noises for when it is done. I just started serving waffles this year. I am only doing it when I have one or two rooms rented because I only have one waffle maker and it takes a long time to get them out. Do you have multiple waffle makers?.
oceans said:
You can hot hold the waffles in the oven for up to 10 minutes so you can get more of them done. We have the Waring and don't do waffles that often, but they go over well when we do.
We have Waring waffle iron. It produces waffles that are almost daisy shaped, but each little segment is heart-shaped. All the ladies have commented on this. The guys never see them because they woof 'em down so fast.
DW makes these killer Blueberry Pecan Waffles with Blueberry Compote, which she decorates with sliced bannas and more pecans. This is always a crowd pleaser. We serve these with little pork sausages. The fruit course before this is fresh peaches in Greek yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon. Yum!

i use the waring pro. i have two of them ... on just under 4 minutes ... spritzed with cooking spray. best addition to the ones i had at first is these have a tray to catch dripping batter. i do 2 at a time (had to have special circuit in this old house so the fuse wouldn't blow when i used both). i rarely 'hot hold' them ... will occasionally hold 2 while i do 2 more but i don't like what the oven does to them.
i have my little assembly line ready --- with the stack of plates, berries, the whipped cream and usually sausage (not always) ... i use a little assignment book to jot down how folks want their waffle 'dressed' ... this cuts down on wasted fruit big time. syrups and butter are on the table. if there is a lull in the cooking, i put the whipped cream back in the fridge. i whip it up just before i preheat the waffle makers.

i use the waring pro. i have two of them ... on just under 4 minutes ... spritzed with cooking spray. best addition to the ones i had at first is these have a tray to catch dripping batter. i do 2 at a time (had to have special circuit in this old house so the fuse wouldn't blow when i used both). i rarely 'hot hold' them ... will occasionally hold 2 while i do 2 more but i don't like what the oven does to them.
i have my little assembly line ready --- with the stack of plates, berries, the whipped cream and usually sausage (not always) ... i use a little assignment book to jot down how folks want their waffle 'dressed' ... this cuts down on wasted fruit big time. syrups and butter are on the table. if there is a lull in the cooking, i put the whipped cream back in the fridge. i whip it up just before i preheat the waffle makers..
We use the restaurant grade waring pro from Sam's, we have two and use them up to 3x aweek, when we have short stays, it's a life saver!We just always have them out and ready to go. We make the batter the night before and usually, because we have so much other food, we only serve a half waffle per person, as these are large round waffles...Making them today!

Samster said:
I did serve some gourmet organic chicken and apple sausage links to some guests last weekend for their second breakfast and they loved it! I thought I'd try it after a discussion where they mentioned trying to cut down on pork...a challenge since we are in the South!
The only source we have for those is Whole Foods in Dallas (about 2 hours away). They're kind of expensive aren't they? Do you have a local source? (They're delicious BTW)
Believe it or not, I found them at my local Publix grocery store. These were in the fresh meat section with the store brand sausage (like Italian, etc.). Not in the section with breakfast sausage and bacon. They didn't have anything like that here when we moved here. I used to find them at HEB in Texas though.

Back