Baking Bacon?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
cooking bacon and eggs for 20 this morning, i am trying oven cooking the bacon instead of on the stove top.
the directions i went with foil lined pans and call for 400 degree oven ... some instructions say 15 minutes, others say as much as 40
so i'm going to keep checking it at intervals
does anyone cook their bacon in quantity this way?

Yep the few times I ever served bacon I did it in the oven. I put it on racks on a cookie sheet so the grease would drip to the bottom of the pan. You just have to keep checking
OH MY ...how are you fitting 20 people in your inn?????? ANd doing all of this yourself!!!!!

Yep the few times I ever served bacon I did it in the oven. I put it on racks on a cookie sheet so the grease would drip to the bottom of the pan. You just have to keep checking
OH MY ...how are you fitting 20 people in your inn?????? ANd doing all of this yourself!!!!!.
i have seats for 16 ... 4 have to wait their turn to eat ... yesterday, had to gently nudge the first 4 out of their seats who were lingering over coffee so others could sit down.
4 of the guests are children -- boy can they eat!!! today, the moms and dads are sleeping, so elder aunts without kids are helping watch the children at breakfast who, of course, are 'starrrving' in the morning. but it is funny. they want syrup for their bacon. things like that. and the elder aunts go along.

OH MY ...how are you fitting 20 people in your inn?????? ANd doing all of this yourself!!!!!.
i have seats for 16 ... 4 have to wait their turn to eat ... yesterday, had to gently nudge the first 4 out of their seats who were lingering over coffee so others could sit down.
4 of the guests are children -- boy can they eat!!! today, the moms and dads are sleeping, so elder aunts without kids are helping watch the children at breakfast who, of course, are 'starrrving' in the morning. but it is funny. they want syrup for their bacon. things like that. and the elder aunts go along.
So who says you have to fill them up???? Serve what you normally serve..that is taking advantage of you in my opinion. let their parents take them out for more food later. You don't advertise "all you can eat breakfast"
devil_smile.gif

I have been cooking bacon this way for about 6 months. I would not do it any other way now. I cook it for about 15 to 20 minutes. I do not use a rack as that is more to wash. I just put it on paper towels to drain when finished just like if I were cooking it on the stove top. I love it. It is so easy and I do not have to turn it at all. It still smells good but does not make the big mess. I do line the pan with foil. If you use thick bacon it will of course take longer. I cooked sausage links last weeks in the oven. I did turn them and they were perfect.
Oh I have cooked it at 350 if I have something eles to cook and it takes longer but works fine.
sandynn

So who says you have to fill them up???? Serve what you normally serve..that is taking advantage of you in my opinion. let their parents take them out for more food later. You don't advertise "all you can eat breakfast"
devil_smile.gif

So who says you have to fill them up???? Serve what you normally serve
Not imtimating that SS falls into this category because I am sure she does not. That said, how much is a good breakfast is very different from inn to inn. I have have beautiflul plated breakfasts that looked wonderful and tasted even better BUT I sure would have liked just a little bit more. What one guest considers ample, another considers a teaser.
That is why I decided to serve family style, the guest can decide how much they need. The rule at our house (even as a kid) was (and is), "Anyone who leaves our house hungry, it is their own fault!" (unfortunately for SS, kids are bottomless pits.)

devil_smile.gif

i'm not serving the kids extra. but they don't eat 'kid size meals' either ... they eat as much as an adult.

I usually do bacon in the oven because it is easier. I have a couple lipped cookie sheets that I line with foil to bake the bacon. I do it so rarely that I cannot help with time.

I do bacon in the oven on my broiler pan which I line both the parts of it with foil so the clean up is very easy. For a little change...sprinkle some dark brown sugar on top of smoked bacon, and then bake it in the oven. It's delicious. I use about a 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar to a pound of bacon and bake it for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees, maybe a little longer - just gotta check it and see how it is. Some like it chewey and some like it crispy.
Also, when I put foil over the slotted pan in my broiler pan, I punch slits through the foil so the grease can drain. I line the under-pan with foil too so all I have to do with that one is take the foil off and put the pan back in the drawer.

devil_smile.gif

i'm not serving the kids extra. but they don't eat 'kid size meals' either ... they eat as much as an adult.
seashanty said:
The greatest bargain ever was to go to Golden Colon (Golden Corral) and the kids got a kid price and they ate more than I do. SCORE!
They are charged adults rates now, but it was sure something when we got that bargain. But they are not allowed to be picky, and they love good food. So if you serve them a nice meal they would lap it up!

devil_smile.gif

seashanty said:
The greatest bargain ever was to go to Golden Colon (Golden Corral) and the kids got a kid price and they ate more than I do. SCORE!
They are charged adults rates now, but it was sure something when we got that bargain. But they are not allowed to be picky, and they love good food. So if you serve them a nice meal they would lap it up!
When the kids were young we found some restaurants that had Kids 6 and under eat free. I kind of felt sorry for them. The twins only hurt them slightly but our youngest was an eating machine - slow and steady!

Yes, but we make it the day before and hot hold it in the toaster oven in the morning.
You have to keep a close eye on it because it does start to burn quickly. Turn it once. You can add brown sugar to make it sweet.

Yes, but we make it the day before and hot hold it in the toaster oven in the morning.
You have to keep a close eye on it because it does start to burn quickly. Turn it once. You can add brown sugar to make it sweet..
I used to use flour, pepper and brown sugar, shake the bacon in the mixture and bake in the oven.

we had four bicycling groups this summer. it is an organized tour. some rented their bikes so i sent along brochures of our place to the bike shop and they sent me some of theirs.
some places i have seen for ohio list places to stay ... looks like they have been partnered for a while so you will have to establish a relationship somewhere in there. same as everything, right?

devil_smile.gif

seashanty said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Golden Colon
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
joke, yes? i must need a nap!

I serve a plated breakfast here - with two dining rooms and seating twelve, there's no way I'd attempt a buffet. I don't load my plates to satisfy the largest appetite that might ever walk through my door - the waste from the 98% of the people who are satisfied with the portion size I offer (or who find that to be too much) would be staggering. I really don't want to eat all the leftovers.
With the plated entrees, there are baked goods (which can be easily refilled), a good size fruit course, and unlimited juice and coffee. There is also always cereal available with milk upon request if someone needs more food to fill up.

Put an ad in Bike Midwest. They used to be Columbus Sports Publishing but recently sold to a company in Mount Vernon. It is a newsprint magazine found in Bike Shops (and your B & B if you do an ad) in 6 States and is free to the bikers/hikers. I need to get my article written (get one with the ad if you remember and get it written and submitted), A big ad is around $500 - and it does work. If you could come up with an inn-to-inn with Heather you could split it - or even split the cost advertising both inns. I used them in the past and will have an ad in the Sept (WV) issue. They feature a different State each month.

devil_smile.gif

seashanty said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Golden Colon
seashanty said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Golden Colon
It is a boo-fay, in the south there are plenty of friends of the boo-fays so you can imagine why we call it that. Not really a joke.

We buy our bacon pre-cooked from Costco. A couple of minutes from the freezer to fry pan to plate. Fast and easy. A bit more expensive, but it is well worth my time.
I am thinking this would work about the same as cooking it the night before. Might try that.

Back