Bamboo Sheets

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
Do any of you have any experience with them? We're considering buying 1800 thread count bamboo sheets. Not cheap. If you use them, do they stain easily? Staining is the #1 reason why we have to buy new sheets.

I had some a few years ago. They were OK but that is as far as I will go. Whatever it was, I did not buy more when I gave them away.

Don't know about the sheets, but I bought some bamboo towels several years ago that were the softest, nicest I'd ever had...for a while. After a couple of months they were just towels. Nothing special at all.

"Bamboo" fabric is made from viscose rayon, a synthetic cellulose, with the bamboo canes chopped up and chemically processed in the same way as any other source of cellulose. It is considered "green" because bamboo is considered more sustainable than traditional wood sources. There is no real bamboo left in the fabric itself. Same with "hemp" fabric, hemp is just another source of cellulose.
Rayon is a soft fabric: the synthetic cellulose can be spun in very fine, silky fibers so you can get a very high thread count. It is as prone to staining as cotton, but is less tolerant of either chlorine or peroxide bleach. The sheets will arguably be less durable than cotton in a B&B setting.

Essentially bamboo textiles are a variant of rayon. They didn't have enough trees (cellulose) to produce rayon in China until a company figure out how to extract it from bamboo (which is actually a grass.)

I had some a few years ago. They were OK but that is as far as I will go. Whatever it was, I did not buy more when I gave them away..
Sheets were ok at first but after the one season I must say I would not waste my money . they really are not quality sheets. Ok for hubby and I . But not for my guests. Comphy and Jenifers. are our best. Worth the money . Comphy says 300 washes. Then I don't know what that will come too?

Thanks everyone for your input. Decided not to do the bamboo. Comphy sheets are great, but unfortunately they don't fit our mattresses well and there's too much left over fabric because of the very deep pocket size. We did a test set and the bottom fitted sheet just had too much play and by the morning the creases and folds in the bottom sheet would not be comfortable to lay on. Our mattresses are fairly new and we get lots of compliments so I'm not going to add padding just so I can use Comphy.

Back