Barbarians

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Apparently, we're annoying the Brits by messing about with their language...http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14201796

Hm. Normally, I am fairly sympathetic when it comes to the habitual and less-than-charming behaviors of Americans (including myself...some habits die hard...), but I have to wonder about this article. I meant...transportation? The reason we use the word instead of transport is because (in the US, at least), it means something completely different. Some of the UK alternatives in vocabulary were completely unfamiliar to me.
Sounds as if they (the writer and contributors) are decrying the evolution of British English, and for that, I can't fault them...but I don't really want to take -- or even share -- the blame.
Also...aren't some of these...picayune? For example:
44. My brother now uses the term "season" for a TV series. Hideous.
Really...hideous?

Hm. Normally, I am fairly sympathetic when it comes to the habitual and less-than-charming behaviors of Americans (including myself...some habits die hard...), but I have to wonder about this article. I meant...transportation? The reason we use the word instead of transport is because (in the US, at least), it means something completely different. Some of the UK alternatives in vocabulary were completely unfamiliar to me.
Sounds as if they (the writer and contributors) are decrying the evolution of British English, and for that, I can't fault them...but I don't really want to take -- or even share -- the blame.
Also...aren't some of these...picayune? For example:
44. My brother now uses the term "season" for a TV series. Hideous.
Really...hideous?.
I can usually laugh when guests make comments but this was a small sample of the utter loathing on the part of some folks for the way we speak. Oddly, in some parts of this country, English is spoken more like it was back in 1700's England than it is spoken there today.
They've evolved, we've evolved differently. Tomayto, tomahto. (Seriously!)
And never the slang shall meet, either!

Well... "fanny pack" is just rude. And frankly, I can't stand when people use persons instead of people. But every country has their own. My uncle called me because his hydro was out. And frankly in Canada, Bare Naked Ladies are men who sing.

Well... "fanny pack" is just rude. And frankly, I can't stand when people use persons instead of people. But every country has their own. My uncle called me because his hydro was out. And frankly in Canada, Bare Naked Ladies are men who sing..
You actually have it worse than we do...you have 2 countries that think you don't speak properly! All of our guests from France this past week were cringing over the way they thought their language had been murdered in Quebec.

Well... "fanny pack" is just rude. And frankly, I can't stand when people use persons instead of people. But every country has their own. My uncle called me because his hydro was out. And frankly in Canada, Bare Naked Ladies are men who sing..
You actually have it worse than we do...you have 2 countries that think you don't speak properly! All of our guests from France this past week were cringing over the way they thought their language had been murdered in Quebec.
That's okay, we think the same of them, can't manage to speak French and keep on putting English into the language. Shopping, pressing, etc.

That's okay, we think the same of them, can't manage to speak French and keep on putting English into the language. Shopping, pressing, etc.
Odd how that works. I am always looking for new ways to say the same old thing.

Its funny when I hear my chamber maid speak in her native language (lithanian) they just absorb any new word into the language from what ever country ie XYgepfjbg Computer snfhusnfns Sky box its just weird to hear words you know intersperced with something completely unrecognisable!

Its funny when I hear my chamber maid speak in her native language (lithanian) they just absorb any new word into the language from what ever country ie XYgepfjbg Computer snfhusnfns Sky box its just weird to hear words you know intersperced with something completely unrecognisable!.
Its funny when I hear my chamber maid speak in her native language (lithanian) they just absorb any new word into the language from what ever country ie XYgepfjbg Computer snfhusnfns Sky box its just weird to hear words you know intersperced with something completely unrecognisable!
My French-Canadian grandmother in-law does that...usually I just listen for my name-- that way I know if she's talking about me or nor ;)

Its funny when I hear my chamber maid speak in her native language (lithanian) they just absorb any new word into the language from what ever country ie XYgepfjbg Computer snfhusnfns Sky box its just weird to hear words you know intersperced with something completely unrecognisable!.
My French-Canadian grandmother in-law does that...usually I just listen for my name-- that way I know if she's talking about me or nor ;)
That's the way the spouse's whole young life sounded...whatever word came out first, the English or the French. His English friends had no idea what anyone was talking about and were surprised he knew what was going on.
When his family stops by, I'm in the same pickle...listen for my name or any word that sounds familiar!

Back