Barking dogs or, why we don't allow dogs to be left alone all day

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
So, the place next door takes pets, too. I went out around noon to walk my dog (in my own yard, nowhere near the other building at all) and I hear barking. Look around so we don't get blindsided by someone's loose dog running at us and I don't see any dogs. But, boy can I hear them. Every time someone has come or gone from my house today, those dogs, left alone in the room a the other place, have set up barking like crazy. If I can hear them inside my house with the windows closed about 100 yds away, I don't want to think what it must be like INSIDE that inn. My guess is the windows are open over there and the dogs are just on the furniture looking out barking at anything that moves.

I would not permit that. Here is an excerpt from my pet acceptace policy:
12. When away from the Inn, we will take our dog with us. The Inn is not a substitute for a kennel.

13. No barking! Dogs that continuously bark or otherwise bother others will be asked to leave at the owner's expense.
Those folks would be outta here!

The noise, the hair, the smell, the mess, THE HASSLE. That is why we don't allow pets PERIOD. (Come to think of it, that's why we don't allow kids either
wink_smile.gif
)

if you allow dogs and the guests are supposed to take the dog(s) with them when they go away from the b&b, what do you do if ... say, you go to freshen the room and the dog has been left alone in it or you hear the dog barking in there and the guests are not around?

if you allow dogs and the guests are supposed to take the dog(s) with them when they go away from the b&b, what do you do if ... say, you go to freshen the room and the dog has been left alone in it or you hear the dog barking in there and the guests are not around?.
seashanty said:
if you allow dogs and the guests are supposed to take the dog(s) with them when they go away from the b&b, what do you do if ... say, you go to freshen the room and the dog has been left alone in it or you hear the dog barking in there and the guests are not around?
In my case, the only pet appropriate room is a cottage that is adjacent to the main inn. Parking for the cottage is in plain view so its clear when the pet people come and go. We also have crates available for loan and our $500 pet security deposit is a strong incentive to keep guests attentive to the policies.

if you allow dogs and the guests are supposed to take the dog(s) with them when they go away from the b&b, what do you do if ... say, you go to freshen the room and the dog has been left alone in it or you hear the dog barking in there and the guests are not around?.
seashanty said:
If guests bring a dog (and I don't know the guests from previous years) they have to leave their cellphone # when they check in. We've only allowed one guest to leave her dogs for the day. She had 2 small dogs and they were crate trained. We went in to clean the room and they barely batted an eye.

seashanty said:
In my case, the only pet appropriate room is a cottage that is adjacent to the main inn. Parking for the cottage is in plain view so its clear when the pet people come and go. We also have crates available for loan and our $500 pet security deposit is a strong incentive to keep guests attentive to the policies.
The Farmers Daughter said:
seashanty said:
Holy cow! $500 deposit?

seashanty said:
seashanty said:
Holy cow! $500 deposit?
Bree said:
seashanty said:
Holy cow! $500 deposit?
Yes. This is for multiple reasons.
1) This culls the people who have a dog chained out in the backyard and are too cheap (or unwelcome) to board it in a kennel.
2) This ensures that the people traveling with dogs are confident in the 'good canine citizen' conduct of their dogs to bring them.
3) The cottage is a 800 sq ft small house that is done in period Victorian antiques. I can assure you that if someones dog eats my antique Queen Anne caramel velvet sofa, $500 won't come close to covering it.
Plus I grill people like tuna before I accept anyone with a dog. Daily pet fee is $35 per dog, per day.
This policy has worked for me for 10 years and counting.

The noise, the hair, the smell, the mess, THE HASSLE. That is why we don't allow pets PERIOD. (Come to think of it, that's why we don't allow kids either
wink_smile.gif
).
Proud Texan said:
wink_smile.gif
)
I'm with you! Besides, our dog is not sociable with others.
RIki

seashanty said:
seashanty said:
Holy cow! $500 deposit?
Bree said:
seashanty said:
Holy cow! $500 deposit?
1) This culls the people who have a dog chained out in the backyard and are too cheap (or unwelcome) to board it in a kennel.
2) This ensures that the people traveling with dogs are confident in the 'good canine citizen' conduct of their dogs to bring them.
3) The cottage is a 800 sq ft small house that is done in period Victorian antiques. I can assure you that if someones dog eats my antique Queen Anne caramel velvet sofa, $500 won't come close to covering it.
Plus I grill people like tuna before I accept anyone with a dog. Daily pet fee is $35 per dog, per day.
Bree said:
seashanty said:
Holy cow! $500 deposit?
That is a smart thing to do. I would guess that the folks who bring their dogs with those policies would be the small lap dogs and the guests older, not a rambunctious puppy. So they have the boundaries in place already.

What about fleas? This is what I always ask. Sure proof of frontline etc, and you vacuum the room, but you can't vacuum every inch. As we know the eggs go into the carpet and are dormant til some human steps into the room. FLEAS ALONE are the reason we do not allow pets in guest rooms. No other reason compares. Can you imagine having new guests all bit up by fleas? That would not be good, not good at all.

What about fleas? This is what I always ask. Sure proof of frontline etc, and you vacuum the room, but you can't vacuum every inch. As we know the eggs go into the carpet and are dormant til some human steps into the room. FLEAS ALONE are the reason we do not allow pets in guest rooms. No other reason compares. Can you imagine having new guests all bit up by fleas? That would not be good, not good at all..
Joe Bloggs said:
What about fleas? This is what I always ask. Sure proof of frontline etc, and you vacuum the room, but you can't vacuum every inch. As we know the eggs go into the carpet and are dormant til some human steps into the room. FLEAS ALONE are the reason we do not allow pets in guest rooms. No other reason compares. Can you imagine having new guests all bit up by fleas? That would not be good, not good at all.
This is true. We do not have carpet in the cottage. Hard wood floors and area rugs. The rugs are routinely cleaned and we use a monthly exterminator. We try to cover all the bases.
Pet travel is on the rise and can be a good source of income especially if you have 1 or 2 rooms specifically set up for dogs and ideally away from the main Inn or at least on the first floor with a private entrance. ( I will not take cats, ferrets or parrots - only dogs). If you are the only place in your area that takes pets, believe me, people will beat a path to your door. BUT, you must set it up in such a way that it works for you and not against you. Meaning you need to put policies andworking parameters in place. You need to provide a fenced area, etc.
Plus it helps if you actually like dogs. If you don't it will never work.

What about fleas? This is what I always ask. Sure proof of frontline etc, and you vacuum the room, but you can't vacuum every inch. As we know the eggs go into the carpet and are dormant til some human steps into the room. FLEAS ALONE are the reason we do not allow pets in guest rooms. No other reason compares. Can you imagine having new guests all bit up by fleas? That would not be good, not good at all..
Joe Bloggs said:
This is true. We do not have carpet in the cottage. Hard wood floors and area rugs. The rugs are routinely cleaned and we use a monthly exterminator. We try to cover all the bases.
Pet travel is on the rise and can be a good source of income especially if you have 1 or 2 rooms specifically set up for dogs and ideally away from the main Inn or at least on the first floor with a private entrance. ( I will not take cats, ferrets or parrots - only dogs). If you are the only place in your area that takes pets, believe me, people will beat a path to your door. BUT, you must set it up in such a way that it works for you and not against you. Meaning you need to put policies andworking parameters in place. You need to provide a fenced area, etc.
Joe Bloggs said:
We actually have the perfect ground floor lodging for that, but it is also our love shack, so don't want to make it the "dog" room. I have considered it. Chances are, we would get the old folks traveling through with only one night stays. These are the calls we get pleading for a pet room for just one night. Just one night is not what innkeepers like to hear, athough they think we do!

Joe Bloggs said:
So far, knock wood and all that, fleas have not been a problem. We don't advertise the pet friendly bit all over the place. We don't take 'walk-in' dogs, either. We've done it in the past and it hasn't worked...puppies, owners traveling with NO pet supplies at all including food, breeds we cannot take, etc.
I don't ask for proof of flea & tick prevention because there's no proof they actually applied anything or when the last time was they did that. I tell them ticks are prevalent here and it is in their OWN interest to make sure the dog doesn't take them HOME from vacation.

Joe Bloggs said:
So far, knock wood and all that, fleas have not been a problem. We don't advertise the pet friendly bit all over the place. We don't take 'walk-in' dogs, either. We've done it in the past and it hasn't worked...puppies, owners traveling with NO pet supplies at all including food, breeds we cannot take, etc.
I don't ask for proof of flea & tick prevention because there's no proof they actually applied anything or when the last time was they did that. I tell them ticks are prevalent here and it is in their OWN interest to make sure the dog doesn't take them HOME from vacation.
Bree said:
Joe Bloggs said:
I never take walk ins with dogs either. I require proof of innoculations with rabies and a certification of health. I require this to be faxed from the Vets office 14 days prior to arrival. The pet owner just can't "show up" with it. I don't take chances. It's just not worth it. I live by the saying " The butt you save, may be your own." Plus if someone shows up with a dog they claim is well socialized and friendly and I find it to be otherwise, I will turn them away and charge them. I am the pet acceptance Nazi. No sliders here.

Bree wrote: " We don't take 'walk-in' dogs, either. We've done it in the past and it hasn't worked"
Oh no...I can't hold back...arrrrrfffffff
A three-legged dog walks into a saloon in the Old West.
He sidles up to the bar and announces: "I'm looking for the man who shot my paw."

There were two buddies, one with a Doberman Pinscher and the other with a Chihuahua. The guy with the Doberman says to his friend, "Let's go over to that restaurant and get something to eat."
The guy with the Chihuahua says, "We can't go in there. We've got dogs with us."
The buddy with the Doberman says, "Just follow my lead." They walk over to the restaurant, the guy with the Doberman puts on a pair of dark glasses, and he starts to walk in.
The bouncer at the door says, "Sorry, Mac, no pets allowed." The man with the Doberman says, "You don't understand. This is my seeing-eye dog."
The bouncer says, "A Doberman?"
He says, "Yes, they're using them now, they're very good."
The man at the door says, "Come on in."
The buddy with the Chihuahua figures, "What the heck," so he puts on a pair of dark glasses and starts to walk in.
Once again the bouncer says, "Sorry, pal, no pets allowed."
The guy with the Chihuahua says, "You don't understand. This is my seeing-eye dog."
The bouncer at the door says, "A Chihuahua?"
The man with the Chihuahua says, "A Chihuahua??? They gave me a Chihuahua?!"

A blind man walks into a bar, grabs his dog by its hind legs, and swung him around in a circle. The bartender says, "Hey buddy, what are you doing?" And the blind man says, "Don't mind me, I'm just looking around."

Back