Batching Credit Card Transactions

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also do it daily. Hijack alert: My credit card fees have increased in the past couple of years. Who do you use and what percentage do you pay? I am thinking of switching companies..
Country Girl said:
I also do it daily. Hijack alert: My credit card fees have increased in the past couple of years. Who do you use and what percentage do you pay? I am thinking of switching companies.
It's not just the percentage, it's all the hidden fees that make me crazy. I think we pay 2.1% for a plain vanilla card and it goes up from there for rewards cards, business cards, international cards. Plus the fee to dial in. Plus additional fees for 'card not present'. Plus a 'statement' fee. Essentially I pay them $.50 to print my own statement on my own paper using my own ink. Don't get me started!
What I resented with my processor, was you had to pay a statement fee regardless if you went "paperless" or not and it was the same charge. I continued to have them pay to print and mail my statement to me every month. cRaZy!!

We also got the best rate through Quickbooks but I did not like their system for processing cards, so what I was able to do was call my current processor and ask if they would match the QB rate. They said if I had it in writing they could do it, QB had it in writing for me so now I am paying super low fees with the processor that I like.
I batch daily at 11 am, right after the last checkout and any deposits for new reservations are run.

To date..........the best deal I have been able to get was through Quickbooks.
We looked at QB, too, because of the rates. I think the reason we didn't go with them was because you have to have the computer right there to do the processing. I wouldn't want to walk off with someone's cc to do the processing in my office. Let me know if I'm wrong about needing the computer and a printer right there.

I just got off the phone with my cc processor AND I have to batch everynight or there's a penalty. I have a new Hypercom T7 Plus machine and he said that it could be programmed to autobatch each night if I wanted it.

Automatically happens at midnight. We also have the Hypercom T7 Plus.

We looked at QB, too, because of the rates. I think the reason we didn't go with them was because you have to have the computer right there to do the processing. I wouldn't want to walk off with someone's cc to do the processing in my office. Let me know if I'm wrong about needing the computer and a printer right there.
Morticia said:
I wouldn't want to walk off with someone's cc to do the processing in my office. Let me know if I'm wrong about needing the computer and a printer right there.
I take the cards back to my office to process..doesn't bother me a bit, and no one has ever squawked about it.

Quickbooks does have a card reader.......I think this would have to go through the computer anyway.....

You mean like restaurants do when they take the tab to process it with your cc?

Yeah......I guess so
restaurants have software for orders......and the meal ticket prints in the kitchen.........the software would do the cc processing as well

I am just saying that in restaurants the cc goes out of site and comes back to the table. The guests don't chase the card off into the kitchen. Maybe some do or they pay cash.
cry_smile.gif

I just got off the phone with my cc processor AND I have to batch everynight or there's a penalty. I have a new Hypercom T7 Plus machine and he said that it could be programmed to autobatch each night if I wanted it..
Proud Texan said:
I just got off the phone with my cc processor AND I have to batch everynight or there's a penalty. I have a new Hypercom T7 Plus machine and he said that it could be programmed to autobatch each night if I wanted it.
I don't have the 'Plus' version but that's the same company that made my machine. Works like a charm.
Have it set to auto batch around 10:30 instead of midnight...why, you ask? Because when you hit a time change weekend and you are not thinking about updating the time on the machine, you don't end up batching on the next day. (And for me, that works out to be about a week before I remember to reset the time on the cc machine.)

I just got off the phone with my cc processor AND I have to batch everynight or there's a penalty. I have a new Hypercom T7 Plus machine and he said that it could be programmed to autobatch each night if I wanted it..
Proud Texan said:
I don't have the 'Plus' version but that's the same company that made my machine. Works like a charm.
Have it set to auto batch around 10:30 instead of midnight...why, you ask? Because when you hit a time change weekend and you are not thinking about updating the time on the machine, you don't end up batching on the next day. (And for me, that works out to be about a week before I remember to reset the time on the cc machine.)
I thought the official time change is at 2AM. (Just saying). I do my auto batch at 11:15pm - I do it at night because I use that same phone line for my business and that late I am less likely to get a call when the batch is to be sent.
I use the Hypercom T7Plus as well.

We use Quickbooks, When they check in, they give me the card while I am showing them their cabin. I run it down to my house, and into the basement office where I swipe it with the card reader ($20 USB thing) and then print out the receipt on the computer.
Nobody has had an issue over it. Maybe its different because we're cabins.... but I think most people understand that a B&B doesn't quite have a front office with a cash register. Well everyone that isn't the idiots that call at midnight and expect someone is always managing the "front desk".
rolleyes.gif

Morticia wrote:
I wouldn't want to walk off with someone's cc to do the processing in my office.
Why not? Restaurants do it all the time and we never say anything. If they have an issue with it, they should be paying in cash!

In this country they are really pushing you never let your card out of our sight plus they are chip and pin you need the customer with you to put the pin in. We have our card machine on the front desk for ease of use but I am looking into getting one of those cordless ones you can take to the customer as then if it is during breakfast or something I can just take it with me whereever and do it then and there which would be a lot easier.

Proud Texan said:
I thought the official time change is at 2AM. (Just saying). I do my auto batch at 11:15pm - I do it at night because I use that same phone line for my business and that late I am less likely to get a call when the batch is to be sent.
I use the Hypercom T7Plus as well.
If you don't remember to reset the time the next day...which I usually forget for about a week. Sometimes the time reset doesn't work, either. THEN if you have it set for 11:30 you are into the next day and officially late in batching.

Morticia wrote:
I wouldn't want to walk off with someone's cc to do the processing in my office.
Why not? Restaurants do it all the time and we never say anything. If they have an issue with it, they should be paying in cash!
Because some guests follow me. I've had it happen when I say I am going to check on something for them. The 'office' is a desk in my bedroom. Do not want guests in my bedroom. Do not want them getting suspicious if I tell them to just wait.

Morticia said:
I wouldn't want to walk off with someone's cc to do the processing in my office. Let me know if I'm wrong about needing the computer and a printer right there.
I take the cards back to my office to process..doesn't bother me a bit, and no one has ever squawked about it.
We take the card to the office which is upstairs in our suite until we can build the wing and then my office will be on the ground floor
RIki

Morticia wrote:
Because some guests follow me. I've had it happen when I say I am going to check on something for them. The 'office' is a desk in my bedroom. Do not want guests in my bedroom. Do not want them getting suspicious if I tell them to just wait.
There's nothing suspicious about you doing your job. People should respect the boundaries. Our offices have lots of private guest information and I think most guests understand that. People let their credit cards out of their sight all the time.
I used to just say, "Excuse me a moment while I go into our private office so that I can run your credit card. Feel free to browse through our travel info or menus. I'll be right back in a jiffy!" No problems... a few times they'd kinda follow and linger by the door but it was clear that the office was off limits, there's a "Private" sign on the door.

In this country they are really pushing you never let your card out of our sight plus they are chip and pin you need the customer with you to put the pin in. We have our card machine on the front desk for ease of use but I am looking into getting one of those cordless ones you can take to the customer as then if it is during breakfast or something I can just take it with me whereever and do it then and there which would be a lot easier..
You're right....in the UK, it's a whole different thing with the chip cards.

Back