Batching Credit Card Transactions

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
I guess this question is directed to smaller B&Bs.
How often do you batch your credit card transactions? Daily, Weekly?
We are starting to experience a real surge in guest visits (yay!) and I have been letting the receipts stack up and batch them out on Sunday night. I was just curious as to what others are doing. Is there a good reason to do it daily even if you only have one or two transactions?

I have four rooms, and batch daily. Three reasons: 1) I want my money as soon as possible. 2) To avoid my own confusion about which charges I've batched, and which I haven't, and 3) My processor charges a fee (of course!) if I don't batch a closed transaction within 48 hours of check out. Before I changed procedures recently, my machine was set up to automatically batch just before midnight every night, so I wouldn't have to remember to do it.

I do it daily to make it easier to enter and reconcile in Quickbooks. You might check with your processor though - they sometimes charge an addtional fee if there is more than 48 hours lag in checkout and batching. For us, anyway, and the program we use for processing.

Ours does it automatically 7am every day don't have to think about it.

I usually wait for the last car to pull away but if they have gone back upstairs, I do it after the last card is run. I want to get my Internet up and cannot have both at the same time (and do not want to get distracted by something with DH and forget), I want my money wending its way to my checking account ASAP, and they charge me more if it is not done PROMPTLY (I do not remember if it is 24 or 48 hours because it is within 30 minutes for me).

My machine does it automatically at night. One reason to do it every day is to get the funds faster and to avoid 'late' charges if your processor does that. Mine charges extra if the batch isn't processed the day the card is run.

I'm another daily. I do it around 10pm as I'm unlikely to get calls and want to take deposits after that time. My machine sometimes automatically batches I've no idea why, I wonder if it's because a software change is being downloaded.

My machine was set up to run the batch automatically every day at 11 PM. I didn't have to even think about it.

Oops....duplicate post. I guess I'm confused about why this would be done manually..
I guess I'm confused about why this would be done manually.
If you had no charges posted, why send a batch? Sometimes I go weeks with no cc charges - they paid cash or with a check or empty rooms by chance OR design.

Oops....duplicate post. I guess I'm confused about why this would be done manually..
If you had no charges posted, why send a batch? Sometimes I go weeks with no cc charges - they paid cash or with a check or empty rooms by chance OR design.
If it's set up automatically it checks, but of course won't run a batch if there are no charges for the day. At least that's how mine worked.

If it's set up automatically it checks, but of course won't run a batch if there are no charges for the day. At least that's how mine worked.
Great!

Mine auto batches daily at 10:30 pm if there is a charge. However, check with your processor... there is a fee if they auto batch vs you do it manually, as ours is that way.

Mine is also an auto run... If nothing to send, there is no run & no charge. Usually there are fees associated with holding transactions for an extended period of time. The minimal cost to run a batch daily (mine is .29) and the fact that I then have my $, makes it a no brainer.

Mine is also an auto run... If nothing to send, there is no run & no charge. Usually there are fees associated with holding transactions for an extended period of time. The minimal cost to run a batch daily (mine is .29) and the fact that I then have my $, makes it a no brainer..
Exactly...the cost is minimal to auto batch, and no cost if there's nothing to exchange. I believe that whenever you run a batch manually there's a fee. Show me the MONEY.....right away! haha! :)

Samster said:
Ditto.

I also do it daily. Hijack alert: My credit card fees have increased in the past couple of years. Who do you use and what percentage do you pay? I am thinking of switching companies.

I also do it daily. Hijack alert: My credit card fees have increased in the past couple of years. Who do you use and what percentage do you pay? I am thinking of switching companies..
Country Girl said:
I also do it daily. Hijack alert: My credit card fees have increased in the past couple of years. Who do you use and what percentage do you pay? I am thinking of switching companies.
It's not just the percentage, it's all the hidden fees that make me crazy. I think we pay 2.1% for a plain vanilla card and it goes up from there for rewards cards, business cards, international cards. Plus the fee to dial in. Plus additional fees for 'card not present'. Plus a 'statement' fee. Essentially I pay them $.50 to print my own statement on my own paper using my own ink. Don't get me started!

To date..........the best deal I have been able to get was through Quickbooks

Back