Bathroom almost finished!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
I could not wait any longer. I have to show pictures of the before and after.
My bathroom project is almost as finished as it is going to be until August. Himself has a painting he wants done for MountainFest the end of July. Trim and fine tuning will wait until then. He still has to make the trap doors for the plumbing areas (shower and under sink) and needs to build up an area by the tub that did not match up after we tore out the tub part of the wall but saved the rest of that wall because it was in good shape.
Tomorrow we will put a frosted film on the window. I had a shower curtain over it before. I did not declutter the before shower picture before I took the picture (obviously). The tile precludes DH from cluttering as much in the shower now - yeehaa.

Here is over the door and the wall before we started the project. Can you understand why I wanted a new bathroom? This was caused by a leak that we could not find for 10 years and who knows how long it was there before that.
Overdoorbefore.jpg

And here it is after
lrg_Overdoorafter.jpg

The door is actually on now but painting it and the rest of that little corner will not happen until August.

Here is the Shower area before - yes it was a cluttered mess.
lrg_resized.jpg

Little light is now outlets. The mirrired door next to it is my linen closet. This is the wall we did not punch out. That surround was hanging in with caulk an inch or more wide and was sagging.
This is the shower after. The window is getting a frosted film.
ShowerAfter.jpg

WOW, it looks awesome! You won't feel like the same girl in that shower without the curtain over the window. Is there a special varnish that you put around the the window to keep the wood from rotting?

thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Mucho better! 2 thumbs up!.
Yes, it was finally time for the owner's quarters! We never could have done it without the kids doing the hard labor and it would have been TOTALLY done between them if they had NOT had to deal with good ole Dad and HIS way....... Both kids were soooo frustrated! Each was absolutely driven to want to finish it.

WOW, it looks awesome! You won't feel like the same girl in that shower without the curtain over the window. Is there a special varnish that you put around the the window to keep the wood from rotting?.
We just used semi-gloss. That window frame has been there since the late 40s ot early 50s. When we bought the house it just had a roll-up shade on the window. The window itself is a replacement window.
We will now be using the personal showerhead so it should be more protected than before and I will be putting the shower chair back in the tub. I got a personal shower thingy that DH can change spray with just his thumb (only one hand works) or using the knuckles of his bad hand.

what a difference!
can your husband get in and out of the tub ok? do you have one of those grab bars to mount on it?

what a difference!
can your husband get in and out of the tub ok? do you have one of those grab bars to mount on it?.
I got him a shower chair. I am hoping he will use it. He is very afraid of falling and with his brace off cannot move around much. The shower chair is one he can sit on and lift legs over the tub - I hope. The problem is getting from the bed the 6 feet max to the tub. As his Papa got older, he became a total quaking, shaking old man. Son is not there yet, but not far behind.

Here is over the door and the wall before we started the project. Can you understand why I wanted a new bathroom? This was caused by a leak that we could not find for 10 years and who knows how long it was there before that.
Overdoorbefore.jpg

And here it is after
lrg_Overdoorafter.jpg

The door is actually on now but painting it and the rest of that little corner will not happen until August..
Wow night and day. Looks wonderful! You must be so excited!!!
Riki

Overdoorbefore.jpg

And here it is after
lrg_Overdoorafter.jpg

The door is actually on now but painting it and the rest of that little corner will not happen until August..
Riki
To be honest, if I never see another thing done in there (other than the window) I am a lot happier than before. I have a room that looks like a real room. It will help with selling the house to the next innkeepers too.

Overdoorbefore.jpg

And here it is after
lrg_Overdoorafter.jpg

Riki
To be honest, if I never see another thing done in there (other than the window) I am a lot happier than before. I have a room that looks like a real room. It will help with selling the house to the next innkeepers too.
gillumhouse said:
It is amazing how much happier having this done at my house made me feel, too. I'm no longer embarrassed to have friends & family in the house. Well, not quite...I still have to strip the 80's era wallpaper and get rid of the shag carpet in the main living area...

Overdoorbefore.jpg

And here it is after
lrg_Overdoorafter.jpg

Riki
gillumhouse said:
It is amazing how much happier having this done at my house made me feel, too. I'm no longer embarrassed to have friends & family in the house. Well, not quite...I still have to strip the 80's era wallpaper and get rid of the shag carpet in the main living area...
no longer embarrassed to have friends & family in the house.
I have been ashamed for my KIDS to see that room.
Next month there is a group of bicycle riders from Indiana coming in to my city - riding east to Clarksburg and then north to go to PA. I got involved in my capacity as Exec Dir of Rails-to-Trails. Too many (and I have the house booked that night) to stay here so I gave them the number of the motel just south of town. I have invited them (no RSVP yet) to a cookout here that night. I could do that now that the bathroom is as done as it is. There is a passage from the kitchen into the bathroom. I would not have been able to do that otherwise because the bathroom at the top of the stairs belongs to a guest that night.

Wow that looks beautiful! I can't wait to redo my bathroom, but it's a long way off. Did you paint the tiles or replace them?

Wow that looks beautiful! I can't wait to redo my bathroom, but it's a long way off. Did you paint the tiles or replace them?.
The before was a fiberglass surround that was held in with about 2 inches of caulk all around the tub. When I pulled on it to tke it out, it was easier than popping a tab on a soda can - except at the faucets. The faucets had to be cut off which was OK because we were replacing that too. Our daughter did the tile. I got a big as I could to make it go faster for her. They are 6 x 8 and were blessedly cheap.
I put the frost film on the bathroom window this afternoon. It was not too hard except at the latch on the top portion of the window. There is a small patch there where I tore it and on the bottom section I cut a bit crooked with the box cutter and put a small patch in there from the excess I cut away. We have enough left to do the window again if we have to. Cost for the stuff was about $18. it does not tell you that you need a solution to apply it. I called angry that the box did not tell me that but the instructions did (I am about 15 miles from the store). Help desk told me 1/4 teaspoon of No Tears shampoo in 1 qt of distilled water = the solution. I think it (the film) is going to work nicely.

Wow, you are probably delighted that is all repaired and you have a tiled tub/shower combo now! Good job! Update us when the job is totally finished in August :)

Back