Bathroom Sneaks

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SS wrote: there is an 'open' sign outside, a flag ... we are a business ... so aren't we open to the public?
SS I am being bold here just to make a point. Sorry to say SS this but if you display an open sign you are welcoming the public and this type of person into your HOME. Most areas have laws stating a business open to the public must have public restroom facilities, so this person was doing what she felt was fine - walking right in, why knock - you have an open sign with an unlocked door.
If you would rather not have this type of visitor I would reconsider the message you are displaying on your property. Instead of an Open sign, maybe a sign stating 'by appt only'. In reality they are not tresspassors as stated by WP when you are an open business.
I am not trying to beat you up over this just allowing you to see it like a passer by would. As I stated in my earlier post, we had the same type of thing happen - without the 'open' sign but with an unlocked 'open' policy. Our tune has changed. We are a private residence that welcomes expected guests with open arms..
That would be like walking into the Marriott Hotel and instead of looking for a front desk or a room marked LADIES or GENTLEMEN, just walking down a hallway, opening the first guestroom door and using the bathroom.
No Way!
seashanty said:
That would be like walking into the Marriott Hotel and instead of looking for a front desk or a room marked LADIES or GENTLEMEN, just walking down a hallway, opening the first guestroom door and using the bathroom.
No Way!
Requiring a facility quite often with two females in tow - this is the sign I have seen and would abide by:
REGISTERED GUESTS ONLY
that would do the trick
Yep that SHOULD do it...but like we always say..who reads?? HUH???? Oh well.

SS wrote: there is an 'open' sign outside, a flag ... we are a business ... so aren't we open to the public?
SS I am being bold here just to make a point. Sorry to say SS this but if you display an open sign you are welcoming the public and this type of person into your HOME. Most areas have laws stating a business open to the public must have public restroom facilities, so this person was doing what she felt was fine - walking right in, why knock - you have an open sign with an unlocked door.
If you would rather not have this type of visitor I would reconsider the message you are displaying on your property. Instead of an Open sign, maybe a sign stating 'by appt only'. In reality they are not tresspassors as stated by WP when you are an open business.
I am not trying to beat you up over this just allowing you to see it like a passer by would. As I stated in my earlier post, we had the same type of thing happen - without the 'open' sign but with an unlocked 'open' policy. Our tune has changed. We are a private residence that welcomes expected guests with open arms..
We are not open to the public, we are a private residence with a permit to run a B&B out of our home, we are not zoned commercial. Therefore, anyone on our property who is not registered is tresspassing (at our discretion). We do not display an open sign or a vacancy sign on our property.
Our little sign on the door tells people they must call to make a reservation or to tour the inn. We don't get too many folks showing up without a rez, all of our "walk-ins" have all called first, even from the driveway, so it hasn't been much of an issue, but if they just walked into our house with no rez, that would be a problem.
Problem solved: KEYPAD!
wink_smile.gif

YOU MUST KEEP YOUR FRONT DOOR LOCKED!!! I thought you decided that along time ago????? Put out the sign.!!!!.
guests unlock it and leave it unlock - they've even let other people in when it has been locked. my business partner will not invest anything in upgrading the locks - nothing. she wants to sell, so we are coasting with how it is.
seashanty said:
my business partner will not invest anything in upgrading the locks - nothing. she wants to sell, so we are coasting with how it is.
What if something breaks? We've had guests get the key stuck in the lock and snap it off. It costs more to repair that than to get a new lock.

It's probably more of an issue with you SS because you are there on the water and get a lot of foot traffic. We are out in the country...you have to look for us to find us, not on a main drag...
I think a "by appt only" sign would help a lot. I know a lot of people with home businesses, medical transcribers, farmers, photographers, soap makers, artists...that doesn't mean anyone can walk into their house any time of the day, whether they are "open" or not...

We are not open to the public, we are a private residence with a permit to run a B&B out of our home, we are not zoned commercial. Therefore, anyone on our property who is not registered is tresspassing (at our discretion). We do not display an open sign or a vacancy sign on our property.
Our little sign on the door tells people they must call to make a reservation or to tour the inn. We don't get too many folks showing up without a rez, all of our "walk-ins" have all called first, even from the driveway, so it hasn't been much of an issue, but if they just walked into our house with no rez, that would be a problem.
wink_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
wink_smile.gif
Exactly what we have. We are not zoned commercial, we are not commercial, we don't have an open sign, we don't have a vacancy sign, we have a "By Appt only" sign on the door, we have a keypad.
BUT we do have a sign for our business and we do sell something here, and we are in town. So people can walk up to our door whenever they please.
But as far as it goes in our minds - this is our house. Right now the closed sign is out and the guests are gone and DH is working on the porch again.

OK. I have to admit that I let the 'bathroom sneak' in the door myself. We were cleaning rooms and I noticed someone outside. I thought they might be looking for a room for tonight so I went out to change the 'no vacancy' sign. He said he was looking for his friends who are staying here. I brought him in and said, 'Top of the stairs, knock on the door that is closed,' then I went back to cleaning the room on the first floor.
I hear the guests. They are outside. I call up, 'Here they are, on the porch,' and he comes downstairs. At the time I didn't wonder what the heck he was doing up there if no one was answering the door.
Hubs is bringing the clean bathrobes to the room and comes back and says, 'I can't believe in the 5 minutes we were downstairs someone used that bathroom.' (This is the detached bath in the hall.) Luckily, when the guests for that room came to check-in I had upgraded them to another room. THAT would have been embarassing.
All we had done was go to get the bathrobes for that room and that 'friend of guest' helped himself. Didn't bother to flush because he knew I was right downstairs and he shouldn't be in the bathroom.
Even with a lock on that door, it was open so we could finish up by putting the bathrobes away, so in he marched. I was standing downstairs, he could have asked. So the bathroom was cleaned 2x in 15 minutes.

It's probably more of an issue with you SS because you are there on the water and get a lot of foot traffic. We are out in the country...you have to look for us to find us, not on a main drag...
I think a "by appt only" sign would help a lot. I know a lot of people with home businesses, medical transcribers, farmers, photographers, soap makers, artists...that doesn't mean anyone can walk into their house any time of the day, whether they are "open" or not....
i think this chick, bold as brass, probably does whatever she can get away with, wherever she is.
all my little signs all over the place. sorry no public restrooms. etc. the hotel owner across the road laughs and laughs at me and tells me to get used to it. he's been here 35 years.

OK. I have to admit that I let the 'bathroom sneak' in the door myself. We were cleaning rooms and I noticed someone outside. I thought they might be looking for a room for tonight so I went out to change the 'no vacancy' sign. He said he was looking for his friends who are staying here. I brought him in and said, 'Top of the stairs, knock on the door that is closed,' then I went back to cleaning the room on the first floor.
I hear the guests. They are outside. I call up, 'Here they are, on the porch,' and he comes downstairs. At the time I didn't wonder what the heck he was doing up there if no one was answering the door.
Hubs is bringing the clean bathrobes to the room and comes back and says, 'I can't believe in the 5 minutes we were downstairs someone used that bathroom.' (This is the detached bath in the hall.) Luckily, when the guests for that room came to check-in I had upgraded them to another room. THAT would have been embarassing.
All we had done was go to get the bathrobes for that room and that 'friend of guest' helped himself. Didn't bother to flush because he knew I was right downstairs and he shouldn't be in the bathroom.
Even with a lock on that door, it was open so we could finish up by putting the bathrobes away, so in he marched. I was standing downstairs, he could have asked. So the bathroom was cleaned 2x in 15 minutes..
Doesn't that really just annoy the beejezus out of you?? I mean the guy could have asked for crying out loud!!! How hard is that?

I'm thinking you have a new story to tell when you check people in... "here's your key, be sure to lock the door, and don't let people in, as they may go into your room and use your potty."
It can't hurt, you can get a laugh out of them for the cheek of some people, and might actually encourage people to lock the doggone door for a change...
=)
Kk.

Gee, what are some people thinking?????
This is just downright rude.
I know, when you gotta go you gotta go, but really.....somewhere you have to draw a line.
We ar so lucky we have lots of trees where we are...
embaressed_smile.gif

I'm thinking you have a new story to tell when you check people in... "here's your key, be sure to lock the door, and don't let people in, as they may go into your room and use your potty."
It can't hurt, you can get a laugh out of them for the cheek of some people, and might actually encourage people to lock the doggone door for a change...
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Do you know with out detached bath that is the last to book as it is, I WANT to tell guests that, but it is bad enough when they STILL think it is a shared bath. So they leave the door wide open. This is the one where other guests go in and use it. !!!

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Do you know with out detached bath that is the last to book as it is, I WANT to tell guests that, but it is bad enough when they STILL think it is a shared bath. So they leave the door wide open. This is the one where other guests go in and use it. !!!
I tell guests with the detached bath to close the door once they have taken possession of the room. I also tell them that the other guests have been told it is a private bath so if they see someone in their bathroom they have my permission to tell them to get the heck out.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
I tell guests with the detached bath to close the door once they have taken possession of the room. I also tell them that the other guests have been told it is a private bath so if they see someone in their bathroom they have my permission to tell them to get the heck out.
Doesn't the room have a lock on it so they can be sure no one else goes in it when they are out???

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Doesn't the room have a lock on it so they can be sure no one else goes in it when they are out???
catlady said:
Our detached bath locks. Keeping it closed is hard enough when guests use it.
When the issue came up a few years ago I put the "Prvate" sign on the door. I have only had ONE instance since then - the old geezer whose room was right near there. MADE ME SO MAD! Yeah buddy, leave the seat up too while your at it! I locked it up tight.

Back