Bathroom Sneaks

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
well, summer is officially here! rehash of an old problem .........
i came out of the back where my bedroom/office is and encountered a woman in the hallway, closing the door to the one guest room on the first floor.
'can i help you?' i asked.
'i just used your restroom' she said. 'it was an emergency'
i basically blocked her exit as i told her that was a guest room, pristine and ready for a check-in and that it was COMPLETELY inappropriate to go into a guestroom and use the bathroom.
she clutched her stomach, 'but it was an emergency,' she said and marched out the door. i called after her, 'you should have knocked and ASKED me if i had a bathroom to use!'
swell. i rush in with cleaning supplies to clean the toilet and sink, no offense but the room reeked. cleaned it, and locked the guestroom door. just in time, as the guests for that room arrived soon after.
absolute gall! ran around putting the do not disturb signs on all the guestroom doors. i can't keep people out as guests go in and out and leave the doors wide open continually. just when i forget to put out the signs or get lazy, this happens.
i have a few 'sorry, no public restrooms' signs -- they mean nothing to a person determined to do what she did. can you imagine opening the door to what is obviously a guestroom with a prettily made bed, candy and a welcome note on the pillow, bath tissue folded in a point. and going in and using the toilet????
appalling really.
angry_smile.gif

and this post is just a vent.

That is so not right!! I couldn't imagine in my wildest dreams doing that! It makes you wonder about people
omg_smile.gif

p.s. I think your Inn looks beautiful! Did I count right, you have 8 rooms?? You do it all by yourself?!

You really should charge her for using a room she did not reserve!
BTW, I want to move into your place, is looks like heaven! Definitely going to be on the tour when I finally get to the East!

That is so not right!! I couldn't imagine in my wildest dreams doing that! It makes you wonder about people
omg_smile.gif

p.s. I think your Inn looks beautiful! Did I count right, you have 8 rooms?? You do it all by yourself?!.
8 rooms, i have a chambermaid .. she is a huge help.
my eldest son comes in to fix toilets and will check in late arrivals (like 9 or 10 pm if i am just too tired to wait up)
there are a few of us here on the forum who fly solo most of the time. but it's only 6:15, waiting for the last 2 checkins and i'm ready for bed. what a life!!!

You really should charge her for using a room she did not reserve!
BTW, I want to move into your place, is looks like heaven! Definitely going to be on the tour when I finally get to the East!.
thank you for the compliment.
but how would you charge a person on the fly? someone you don't even tknow. that will be $$xx toilet charge, please.
wink_smile.gif
makes steam come out my ears!!

Remember the UPS lady who I would catch the brown of her shorts as she exited the premises. Dashed out back to her truck sitting outside.
THIS IS NOT A PUBLIC BATHROOM LADY! GUEST ROOM TOILET!!! It made me insane.
Keypad keypad keypad.
The door is always locked now, always. We bolt it when there is noone else here so noone can get in.
Guest rooms are all locked that are not in use. Hopefully the guests keep them locked, but they don't so it could happen in one of their rooms.
What a horrible thing. She should have been very embarrassed. Emergency or not.

Hubs is all for calling the police (I know that's not easy where you are). He said she could have been 'casing' the house, seeing what she could steal (any guest rooms occupied but not locked).
It was just plain rude. She wouldn't have gone into the hotel. She wouldn't have gone into someone's home. She could have gone into one of the restaurants. And, she could have asked.

A restroom/bedroom and breakfast are what we are offering as a paid service. If someone uses the bathroom or bedroom without a reservation for that room and we have to clean it, we are within our rights to charge for it.

A restroom/bedroom and breakfast are what we are offering as a paid service. If someone uses the bathroom or bedroom without a reservation for that room and we have to clean it, we are within our rights to charge for it..
I think the point is, how do you charge someone who has left the premises and you have no registration info for. This person was litterally a stranger intruding.

I think this is a subject of if a B&B is a public or private facility. DH and I have had this discussion many times. He thought of our B&B as a public place and we should keep our door unlocked. I had the oposing view, and that visitors should ring bell and wait to be invited in (like a home).
We have had 1 stop to use bathroom, 2 requests to use phone but I finally won this one 2 summers ago when 2 new neighborhood children tried to get in the gate to the pool - swim trunks on, towels in hand. Of course, we keep the pool gate locked and DH was outside. They came up to him to ask him to let them in. He told them this was a private home, not a neighborhood club house and they were not welcome.
Now our door remains locked when we are home. With a note by the door "please ring bell for assistance" when we are home and the other side when we are gone "By appointment only, please call XXX".

I thought we were talking bathroom jumpers not tresspassers. I would probably call the police! I have a note on the door stating we are a private residence and that tours and reservations are by appt only, and keypad on the door.

YOU MUST KEEP YOUR FRONT DOOR LOCKED!!! I thought you decided that along time ago????? Put out the sign.!!!!

YOU MUST KEEP YOUR FRONT DOOR LOCKED!!! I thought you decided that along time ago????? Put out the sign.!!!!.
That is why my doors are always locked. Entrances, private areas, unoccupied guest rooms (and I assume guests lock their own rooms when they leave but I lock them after room fluffs).

SS wrote: there is an 'open' sign outside, a flag ... we are a business ... so aren't we open to the public?
SS I am being bold here just to make a point. Sorry to say SS this but if you display an open sign you are welcoming the public and this type of person into your HOME. Most areas have laws stating a business open to the public must have public restroom facilities, so this person was doing what she felt was fine - walking right in, why knock - you have an open sign with an unlocked door.
If you would rather not have this type of visitor I would reconsider the message you are displaying on your property. Instead of an Open sign, maybe a sign stating 'by appt only'. In reality they are not tresspassors as stated by WP when you are an open business.
I am not trying to beat you up over this just allowing you to see it like a passer by would. As I stated in my earlier post, we had the same type of thing happen - without the 'open' sign but with an unlocked 'open' policy. Our tune has changed. We are a private residence that welcomes expected guests with open arms.

SS wrote: there is an 'open' sign outside, a flag ... we are a business ... so aren't we open to the public?
SS I am being bold here just to make a point. Sorry to say SS this but if you display an open sign you are welcoming the public and this type of person into your HOME. Most areas have laws stating a business open to the public must have public restroom facilities, so this person was doing what she felt was fine - walking right in, why knock - you have an open sign with an unlocked door.
If you would rather not have this type of visitor I would reconsider the message you are displaying on your property. Instead of an Open sign, maybe a sign stating 'by appt only'. In reality they are not tresspassors as stated by WP when you are an open business.
I am not trying to beat you up over this just allowing you to see it like a passer by would. As I stated in my earlier post, we had the same type of thing happen - without the 'open' sign but with an unlocked 'open' policy. Our tune has changed. We are a private residence that welcomes expected guests with open arms..
That would be like walking into the Marriott Hotel and instead of looking for a front desk or a room marked LADIES or GENTLEMEN, just walking down a hallway, opening the first guestroom door and using the bathroom.
No Way!

I think this is a subject of if a B&B is a public or private facility. DH and I have had this discussion many times. He thought of our B&B as a public place and we should keep our door unlocked. I had the oposing view, and that visitors should ring bell and wait to be invited in (like a home).
We have had 1 stop to use bathroom, 2 requests to use phone but I finally won this one 2 summers ago when 2 new neighborhood children tried to get in the gate to the pool - swim trunks on, towels in hand. Of course, we keep the pool gate locked and DH was outside. They came up to him to ask him to let them in. He told them this was a private home, not a neighborhood club house and they were not welcome.
Now our door remains locked when we are home. With a note by the door "please ring bell for assistance" when we are home and the other side when we are gone "By appointment only, please call XXX"..
you've got it. there is an 'open' sign outside, just a flag ... we are a business ... so aren't we open to the public?
always a problem with folks walking in, and i deal with those who come in and ASK. but this woman takes the prize for rudeness and boldness. i know she used the toilet (obvious) but what kind of thinking person is she to 'sneak' into what is obviously a guest room? if someone's belongings had been in there, i would suspect theft as a motive. based on what little she wore, she was hiding nothing on her person. i have a suspicion this is a regular summer visitor because she went straight into that room.
a few people i've met over the past three years admitted to sneaking into that very bathroom when the place was neglected and wide open.
just like our first year ... we had NO OPEN FLAG, NO SIGN SAYING WE WERE A BUSINESS but returning summer people who EXPECTED access to the cupola so they could look out at the harbor because the place was unlocked and unsupervised. locals who EXPECTED access to the basement for what reason i don't know. and a parade of people who EXPECTED to be able to wander in and out at will because 'no one minded before'
and the prior prize winner was our first year ... the man who came in through a third floor window off the fire escape/deck because the doors were locked!!!
omg_smile.gif
reason? he wanted permission to park in our lot and did not want to be towed. again, we had no open flag, no sign saying we were a business yet.

YOU MUST KEEP YOUR FRONT DOOR LOCKED!!! I thought you decided that along time ago????? Put out the sign.!!!!.
guests unlock it and leave it unlock - they've even let other people in when it has been locked. my business partner will not invest anything in upgrading the locks - nothing. she wants to sell, so we are coasting with how it is.

guests unlock it and leave it unlock - they've even let other people in when it has been locked. my business partner will not invest anything in upgrading the locks - nothing. she wants to sell, so we are coasting with how it is.
Do you have a sign that says, PLEASE BE SURE THE FRONT DOOR IS LOCKED WHEN YOU LEAVE! and call it to the attention of your guests.
Even if you do have an OPEN sign out, this is still your home and it is not open to the public. Another sign something to the effect, "This is a private residence , we have no public facilities available for non guests." DO not enter.
Gheez..people have some nerve.
Oh any lookers for the property yet??? I hope you are making plans to skedaddle out of there as fast as your little feet can take you when the season is over!!!!!

I am not trying to beat you up over this just allowing you to see it like a passer by would. As I stated in my earlier post, we had the same type of thing happen - without the 'open' sign but with an unlocked 'open' policy. Our tune has changed. We are a private residence that welcomes expected guests with open arms..
That would be like walking into the Marriott Hotel and instead of looking for a front desk or a room marked LADIES or GENTLEMEN, just walking down a hallway, opening the first guestroom door and using the bathroom.
No Way!
seashanty said:
No Way!
Requiring a facility quite often with two females in tow - this is the sign I have seen and would abide by:
REGISTERED GUESTS ONLY
that would do the trick

OMG!! I am totally aghast at that! That is so cheeky! I know that you're in a small town but maybe you should think about a keypad lock. I know at first that our guests are surprised that they have to ring the doorbell to check-in but when I remind them when I'm demonstating the keypad that even though we're in a smaller town, we're still an "urban" inn & we do have foot traffic that we don't want to just wander in, they're totally behind keeping the door locked.
There are people that would just wander in a hotel to use a restroom off the lobby, but to go into an open guest room? I can't imagine someone doing that even in a hotel! Yeesch!
Good for you for saying something to that rude person!

Back