Bathrooms - Existing or Additions

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
forgot to talk price. $18,000 in 2007 to add or expand 3 bathrooms. this had to include running ventilation piping up through two floors and out through the roof and also drainage down into the basement and connecting with the water supply up into the bathroom..
Our small upstairs private bath was installed where two 4x4 foot closets were located. Cost us $3,500.00 for everything, including the labor. Large shower, pedestal sink and stool, laminate floors, drywalled, and the plumbing and lighting included. This also includes all the venting, piping, bringing water in and waste out, as there was no water or plumbing on that side of the house. That was in 2002.
Edit to add: I am in no way saying "go with Shared Baths right from the beginning, it's the bee's knees!". I am saying if you find an operating Inn that you love, with great location, revenues, reputation and a younger active demographic that happens to have a shared bath or two, AND it's within your price range, don't let the shared baths scare you away, whatever anyone else says.
$3500 in 2002 but in 2006 it would have been double or more. Construction materials went thruogh the roof after Katina. It cost me $28,000 (plus lost revenue because he had me closed over Christmas & New Years) to renovate one bathroom, create the second bathroom, and repair plaster and paint one wall (a 2-story stairway wall) in the foyer. I did not replace the toilet and sink in the original bathroom and just moved the claw-foot rub into the new bathroom so no extra cost for those items.
For those who have a tub with no room for a shower as described by SS, I bought a hand-held "telephone" shower/faucet combo for my claw-foot so guests could take a shower if they wished, just had to get in the tub to do it. The polished brass unit was about $400 in 1996. Have no clue waht it runs today.
Edited to add: I also had chamber pots (with lids) in every room and pointed them out on my web site and during check-in as "emergency facilities", checked them every room cleaning, and yes, a couple of times they were used.

forgot to talk price. $18,000 in 2007 to add or expand 3 bathrooms. this had to include running ventilation piping up through two floors and out through the roof and also drainage down into the basement and connecting with the water supply up into the bathroom..
Our small upstairs private bath was installed where two 4x4 foot closets were located. Cost us $3,500.00 for everything, including the labor. Large shower, pedestal sink and stool, laminate floors, drywalled, and the plumbing and lighting included. This also includes all the venting, piping, bringing water in and waste out, as there was no water or plumbing on that side of the house. That was in 2002.
Edit to add: I am in no way saying "go with Shared Baths right from the beginning, it's the bee's knees!". I am saying if you find an operating Inn that you love, with great location, revenues, reputation and a younger active demographic that happens to have a shared bath or two, AND it's within your price range, don't let the shared baths scare you away, whatever anyone else says.
$3500 in 2002 but in 2006 it would have been double or more. Construction materials went thruogh the roof after Katina. It cost me $28,000 (plus lost revenue because he had me closed over Christmas & New Years) to renovate one bathroom, create the second bathroom, and repair plaster and paint one wall (a 2-story stairway wall) in the foyer. I did not replace the toilet and sink in the original bathroom and just moved the claw-foot rub into the new bathroom so no extra cost for those items.
For those who have a tub with no room for a shower as described by SS, I bought a hand-held "telephone" shower/faucet combo for my claw-foot so guests could take a shower if they wished, just had to get in the tub to do it. The polished brass unit was about $400 in 1996. Have no clue waht it runs today.
Edited to add: I also had chamber pots (with lids) in every room and pointed them out on my web site and during check-in as "emergency facilities", checked them every room cleaning, and yes, a couple of times they were used.
yes, the antique looking attachment we bought was lovely. the surrounding shower curtain thing would not work because there was not enough clearance over the tub. so i gave that part of it away. the whole deal cost me about $750.00. we had to get specific fittings for the faucet part of the tub ... long story. (remember when i came on forum asking for shower hook ideas?) my son rigged up something as a shower curtain rod, but it did not make up for the folks who wanted to stand in the shower. :( you had to sit in the tub (or kneel) and rinse/shower.

Once again, thank you all for your great input. I'm rereading my questions and see that I could be more clear. Ultimately, I'm really not interested in an inn with SBs; however, I was curious about how prohibitive it is to consider one that matches our location, style, etc., but doesn't have PB. I know it's almost impossible to project with any certainty what the addition per bath would be, since it's all dependant on the current layout - if there's plumbing nearby, if there's space that even can be converted or sacrificed in favor of the PB. I was just curious as to whether any of you did consider purchasing inns that didn't have PBs, thinking that you'd either make do for awhile and felt confident you could add the baths down the road. I agree with the permitting thing; adding baths gets into septic, public sewer requirements, etc., so appreciate the reminder to check into that part ahead of time.
Not planning on moving to MI, but I so agree, LB's place sounds like a steal! We are considering a property in our current area of PA and also heading down into VA in the next few weeks to scout out some properties there. Ugh ... I think we take the cake for the longest aspirings on this forum. :)

yes, the antique looking attachment we bought was lovely. the surrounding shower curtain thing would not work because there was not enough clearance over the tub. so i gave that part of it away. the whole deal cost me about $750.00. we had to get specific fittings for the faucet part of the tub ... long story. (remember when i came on forum asking for shower hook ideas?) my son rigged up something as a shower curtain rod, but it did not make up for the folks who wanted to stand in the shower. :( you had to sit in the tub (or kneel) and rinse/shower.
We had standing clearance but I did not put up a shower curtain. I did not trust my walls or ceiling to have enough to anchor a shower rod to withstand someone using it to steady themselves - had visions of it crashing down on them. I just put towels on the floor behind the tub to soak up overspray. I think most either sat or knelt because there was rarely any overspray.

Once again, thank you all for your great input. I'm rereading my questions and see that I could be more clear. Ultimately, I'm really not interested in an inn with SBs; however, I was curious about how prohibitive it is to consider one that matches our location, style, etc., but doesn't have PB. I know it's almost impossible to project with any certainty what the addition per bath would be, since it's all dependant on the current layout - if there's plumbing nearby, if there's space that even can be converted or sacrificed in favor of the PB. I was just curious as to whether any of you did consider purchasing inns that didn't have PBs, thinking that you'd either make do for awhile and felt confident you could add the baths down the road. I agree with the permitting thing; adding baths gets into septic, public sewer requirements, etc., so appreciate the reminder to check into that part ahead of time.
Not planning on moving to MI, but I so agree, LB's place sounds like a steal! We are considering a property in our current area of PA and also heading down into VA in the next few weeks to scout out some properties there. Ugh ... I think we take the cake for the longest aspirings on this forum. :).
SA, I wish you the best of luck....and I know you'll find the perfect place. You'll know it when you find it!

Right, the bath may not be the factor in some of the stats. If I had a SB and it was with two doubles I would rent it more than with one full size/double bed. I can guarantee it. There are so many variables. But LB is saying her SB room does rent. Is it price point related? Yes. I would say it is. You would have to discount the SB - it is only logical.
From the perspective of an inn with all private baths - only one is detached across the hall - not shared, and is nicknamed "the plague room" as none of my guests - unless absolutely last resort or meager priced, will book that room due to the bath situation. That is HERE. That is my 6 years of experience in this location in this B&B.
Not only that, I have had a few situations where someone booked the room with detached bath due to price point or last resort and the spouse went ballistic and they left. This has happened to me twice. Absolute hissy fit, demanding they will not stay and left.
Why set yourself up for that? From the get go - if you are fresh and new and can do anything you want - add private baths in every room..
Joey Bloggs said:
only one is detached across the hall - not shared, and is nicknamed "the plague room" as none of my guests - unless absolutely last resort or meager priced, will book that room due to the bath situation.
Joey, have you considered putting an electric fireplace in that room? It's plenty big enough, and they are very affordable. That might be just the thing to make that room more desirable! Dimplex makes fireplaces in all shapes, sizes and wood styles. They're cheap to run too.
Little Blue said:
Joey Bloggs said:
only one is detached across the hall - not shared, and is nicknamed "the plague room" as none of my guests - unless absolutely last resort or meager priced, will book that room due to the bath situation.
Joey, have you considered putting an electric fireplace in that room? It's plenty big enough, and they are very affordable. That might be just the thing to make that room more desirable! Dimplex makes fireplaces in all shapes, sizes and wood styles. They're cheap to run too.
I have an electric fireplace in another room and electric wood stove in another.
The only thing I would add to that room would be a bathroom. But we have already added TWO bathrooms since we have lived here. TWO. Not to mention tons of other major projects. This is when I mention making no money to aspirings...you make it and it goes back into the historic building. I suppose we could let stuff slide and not worry about it, but we can't live that way.
Future owners can do what they like here and in that room especially and I hope they do! The attic pull down stairs are in there and we had considered turning it into a suite or something, finishing off the attic (putting in real stairs).
Or future owners using it for their own space and making the attic into an office or bedroom and turning downstairs into guest rooms, there are plenty of options. $$ is KEY. That is the thing, when you are buying turn-key you don't want to have to outlay a ton of money into more reno's. Unless that is understood from the get go. I say that, and we all do it, right. Continue to do it.
tounge_smile.gif

Right, the bath may not be the factor in some of the stats. If I had a SB and it was with two doubles I would rent it more than with one full size/double bed. I can guarantee it. There are so many variables. But LB is saying her SB room does rent. Is it price point related? Yes. I would say it is. You would have to discount the SB - it is only logical.
From the perspective of an inn with all private baths - only one is detached across the hall - not shared, and is nicknamed "the plague room" as none of my guests - unless absolutely last resort or meager priced, will book that room due to the bath situation. That is HERE. That is my 6 years of experience in this location in this B&B.
Not only that, I have had a few situations where someone booked the room with detached bath due to price point or last resort and the spouse went ballistic and they left. This has happened to me twice. Absolute hissy fit, demanding they will not stay and left.
Why set yourself up for that? From the get go - if you are fresh and new and can do anything you want - add private baths in every room..
Joey Bloggs said:
Little Blue said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I have an electric fireplace in another room and electric wood stove in another.
The only thing I would add to that room would be a bathroom. But we have already added TWO bathrooms since we have lived here. TWO. Not to mention tons of other major projects. This is when I mention making no money to aspirings...you make it and it goes back into the historic building. I suppose we could let stuff slide and not worry about it, but we can't live that way.
Future owners can do what they like here and in that room especially and I hope they do! The attic pull down stairs are in there and we had considered turning it into a suite or something, finishing off the attic (putting in real stairs).
Or future owners using it for their own space and making the attic into an office or bedroom and turning downstairs into guest rooms, there are plenty of options. $$ is KEY. That is the thing, when you are buying turn-key you don't want to have to outlay a ton of money into more reno's. Unless that is understood from the get go. I say that, and we all do it, right. Continue to do it.
tounge_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Aha...in looking at your rooms page, I never saw them mentioned or pictured for any of the rooms. Only after clicking on each and every room's individual description page did I notice them...sorry!

Not planning on moving to MI, but I so agree, LB's place sounds like a steal! We are considering a property in our current area of PA and also heading down into VA in the next few weeks to scout out some properties there. Ugh ... I think we take the cake for the longest aspirings on this forum. :).
anything is possible, it just costs $. That is my answer to all of this. Sure and yes.
When we looked and we did all over, we were more concerned with owner's quarters being adequate when we looked, so for us here is the list:
  • Quality of life - location for US, we have to live there and like where we live
  • Owners Quarters - adequate, spacious, lockable, separate
  • Pride of Ownership - a home/B&B we would love and enjoy and take pride in (as we wanted to add our own hand to it, not just own it or operate it, we wanted to make improvements as well)
  • Occupancy was not the first, but the last as we love a challenge, did not want to walk in and have it all handed to us. (Not saying we wanted a dog, but it was not #1 on the list)
  • Variety - Something I know now that I did not know THEN...Variety is the spice of the innkeepers life. If you are going to have PEOPLE in your midst all the time, have good people, people you can enjoy. So for that, we are glad we are not a typical tourist area with the same demographic day in and day out. We would have had this if we had chosen the White Mountains of NH which we nearly did.

Joey Bloggs said:
Little Blue said:
Joey Bloggs said:
tounge_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Aha...in looking at your rooms page, I never saw them mentioned or pictured for any of the rooms. Only after clicking on each and every room's individual description page did I notice them...sorry!
Little Blue said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I know, there is so much to say and I am already guilty of being too wordy...NAW? You are saying. ha ha
I did change up the blog colors a bit today...I wanted to make it three columns - main in the middle and left bar and right bar, but got distracted. I will do that another time, it means HTML code I have to dig out somewhere.

anything is possible, it just costs $. That is my answer to all of this. Sure and yes.
When we looked and we did all over, we were more concerned with owner's quarters being adequate when we looked, so for us here is the list:
  • Quality of life - location for US, we have to live there and like where we live
  • Pride of Ownership - a home/B&B we would love and enjoy and take pride in (as we wanted to add our own hand to it, not just own it or operate it, we wanted to make improvements as well)
  • Occupancy was not the first, but the last as we love a challenge, did not want to walk in and have it all handed to us. (Not saying we wanted a dog, but it was not #1 on the list)
  • Variety - Something I know now that I did not know THEN...Variety is the spice of the innkeepers life. If you are going to have PEOPLE in your midst all the time, have good people, people you can enjoy. So for that, we are glad we are not a typical tourist area with the same demographic day in and day out. We would have had this if we had chosen the White Mountains of NH which we nearly did.
I agree to all!
When I talk to aspirings, I tell them to be sure the area where they are looking is someplace they will enjoy...but even MORE IMPORTANTLY...buy into a demographic you will enjoy.
If you buy a gingerbread-dripping victorian that promises romance, roses and high revenues (and high maintanence guests)...but are a jeans, tennies and sweatshirt out on the hiking trail kind of person, you will be miserable. If you can only afford to drive a clunker and resent people who drive luxury vehicles and ask for discounts, you will be unhappy with your luxury Inn purchase and come to resent your guests for expecting so much of you. And vice-versa. If you only stay at high end Inns yourself, don't buy a small and casual place, as you might tend to look down on your guests.
Buy the type of Inn that you would be comfortable staying at, and you will attract guests the most like yourself.

I agree to all!
When I talk to aspirings, I tell them to be sure the area where they are looking is someplace they will enjoy...but even MORE IMPORTANTLY...buy into a demographic you will enjoy.
If you buy a gingerbread-dripping victorian that promises romance, roses and high revenues (and high maintanence guests)...but are a jeans, tennies and sweatshirt out on the hiking trail kind of person, you will be miserable. If you can only afford to drive a clunker and resent people who drive luxury vehicles and ask for discounts, you will be unhappy with your luxury Inn purchase and come to resent your guests for expecting so much of you. And vice-versa. If you only stay at high end Inns yourself, don't buy a small and casual place, as you might tend to look down on your guests.
Buy the type of Inn that you would be comfortable staying at, and you will attract guests the most like yourself.
Amen to that! I know I am not a gorgeous mansion type person. I would have been miserable and uncomfortable living in a mansion - PLUS having to CLEAN? IT!! I know that if I am uncomfortable my guests would not be comfortable either - the vibes.... My four-square is my kind of place and the guests tell me it feels like home.
Joey had it right with the first, foremost, and most important being will you like living there. It will be a 24/7, 12 months of the year (unless you can afford to be a snowbird) so it had best be a location you will be comfortable living in and have the kind of lifestyle you require available. If you require symphony orchestra and opera, do not go to the mountains of WV. We have both available, but you will have to drive 3 or more hours to get it depending on which venue you choose. Look at the climate ALL seasons not just summer.

I agree to all!
Amen to that! I know I am not a gorgeous mansion type person. I would have been miserable and uncomfortable living in a mansion - PLUS having to CLEAN? IT!! I know that if I am uncomfortable my guests would not be comfortable either - the vibes.... My four-square is my kind of place and the guests tell me it feels like home.
Joey had it right with the first, foremost, and most important being will you like living there. It will be a 24/7, 12 months of the year (unless you can afford to be a snowbird) so it had best be a location you will be comfortable living in and have the kind of lifestyle you require available. If you require symphony orchestra and opera, do not go to the mountains of WV. We have both available, but you will have to drive 3 or more hours to get it depending on which venue you choose. Look at the climate ALL seasons not just summer.
gillumhouse said:
ahhh come on now...y'all have got straings in them mountains. :)

I agree to all!
gillumhouse said:
We got straings but nobody to be willin' to wear the penquin suit! And the only caterwalin' is when the coyotes are yellin' or Grampaw backed the rocker onto the cat's tail.

I agree to all!
gillumhouse said:
We got straings but nobody to be willin' to wear the penquin suit! And the only caterwalin' is when the coyotes are yellin' or Grampaw backed the rocker onto the cat's tail.
huh?

I agree to all!
gillumhouse said:
huh?
We are talking in the local pronunciation.
straings = strings
Caterwallin' = arias
penguin suit = tux

Wholeheartedly agree about picking where you want to live, and the type of B&B first.
We narrowed it down to a 2-3 hour radius of Cleveland, university town, with some tourism and business. We didn't even look at inns for sale... partly because we didn't think we could afford turnkey, partly because we were mostly interested in location and there were no B&B's for sale here.
Our realtor was an average residential real estate agent with no vision. She'd say, and here's a nice bedroom (tiny!) and I'd say, no, this would become the two bathrooms for the other two bedrooms. There was a nice duplex across from church... would have been great owner's quarters, but only three guest rooms and I'm not sure how we'd have done the baths.
In the end, this house was the obvious choice in terms of location (neighborhood, nearness to the university) and size (room for four guest rooms, with room to add bathrooms).
We started with 2-1/2 baths. The half bath is untouched. One of the two was gutted and replaced, the other moved to the basement and two more put in where it was. We added another on the third floor. Now we have 5-1/2. Each guest room has it's own PB and we have our tub, etc. in the basement, plus our half bath. (Which fortunately is out of sight by the side door so guests don't know it's there.)
I'd loosely estimate $5K for each, but I'm very, very frugal. I'm sure some of mine cost more than that.
I can tell you that the key thing with adding bathrooms is the drains. Water to an area, no biggie. Water from an area... it has to go down as well as over, something like 1 inch per foot, so if you want the pipe to go over 10 feet to a wall, then it has to drop 10 inches while it does it.
That's why we changed the original plan of putting two guest rooms in the front and giving ourselves a nice mini-suite (with bath) in the back to us having the two front rooms (no bathroom) and the two back rooms having their own bathrooms. To put a bathroom in with our bedrooms requires putting a stack down the front hallway... or maybe the library... not easy, not cheap.
We did luck out on the third floor bathroom... we had built a step to get the fall we needed for the pipe, which made the ceiling really low, but then opened a hole in the floor and sure enough, found the top of the laundry chute. I sacrificed a quarter of my chute for the stack, but it's a straight shot from third floor to basement, so it only makes sense. (And the step built for the bathroom became a bed stand for the king sized bed!)
Good luck!
=)
Kk.

Back