Batting 0 here.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Submitted some info to a reporter yesterday and got a reply back this morning. 'Thanks so much for the info, we have used it in our blog. Here's the link. If you can help us out in August with the same sort of info, we'd appreciate it.'
Click the link and there is all of the info I sent, cut and pasted into the blog with absolutely no attribution. In a pig's eye she's ever going to hear from me again.
And right in her email was 'Help us out and get noticed!' Yeah, SHE'S getting the notice, not the sources.

I would definitely call her on that, ask why there is no attribution...a reporter should know better. At least let her know that YOU know she should know better
wink_smile.gif

wow! absolutely call her about the OVERSIGHT ... and see how quickly she (hopefully) corrects it. and send email of same with copies to the editor and others who are 'in charge' noting that you see she cut and paste your submission and forgot to mention you wrote it. i used to work for a newspaper. sometimes it was an oversight, sometimes it was cut due to space ... but the online version? never. besides, it should have had a link to you about the 2nd sentence and then down at the bottom. and sometimes, sorry to say, it was a weasil of a 'reporter' who did this repeatedly. shameful.

I would call her out on that for sure. There was a reporter who did a story on friends..she did not get the facts correct, I told them to email her and politely suggest she get it right...and she apologized and did amend the story on line.

wow! absolutely call her about the OVERSIGHT ... and see how quickly she (hopefully) corrects it. and send email of same with copies to the editor and others who are 'in charge' noting that you see she cut and paste your submission and forgot to mention you wrote it. i used to work for a newspaper. sometimes it was an oversight, sometimes it was cut due to space ... but the online version? never. besides, it should have had a link to you about the 2nd sentence and then down at the bottom. and sometimes, sorry to say, it was a weasil of a 'reporter' who did this repeatedly. shameful..
After I saw the blog was when I realized she wasn't really a 'reporter' just someone using the name. She & her husband have a blog, that's it. If you give them free stuff (tickets or whatever) then they say they will write about you. Unfortunately, none of that info was available to me before I sent them the info.
The 'about' section says something like, 'Now that the kids are all grown we have time to travel and see all the great places we'll write about.'
Basically, they are looking for free vacations. So, rather than call them on it, I'm going to send the info to the person who sent me the referral about them and explain they are not really reporters, but people looking for free vacations.
At least they won't be able to pull this on someone else.

wow! absolutely call her about the OVERSIGHT ... and see how quickly she (hopefully) corrects it. and send email of same with copies to the editor and others who are 'in charge' noting that you see she cut and paste your submission and forgot to mention you wrote it. i used to work for a newspaper. sometimes it was an oversight, sometimes it was cut due to space ... but the online version? never. besides, it should have had a link to you about the 2nd sentence and then down at the bottom. and sometimes, sorry to say, it was a weasil of a 'reporter' who did this repeatedly. shameful..
After I saw the blog was when I realized she wasn't really a 'reporter' just someone using the name. She & her husband have a blog, that's it. If you give them free stuff (tickets or whatever) then they say they will write about you. Unfortunately, none of that info was available to me before I sent them the info.
The 'about' section says something like, 'Now that the kids are all grown we have time to travel and see all the great places we'll write about.'
Basically, they are looking for free vacations. So, rather than call them on it, I'm going to send the info to the person who sent me the referral about them and explain they are not really reporters, but people looking for free vacations.
Oh that is rich...sorry no free trips just for posting on your blog. Is it someone local or can you share the link to that blog?

Oh that is rich...sorry no free trips just for posting on your blog. Is it someone local or can you share the link to that blog?
I'm going to contact the person who gave me the lead and see what they think. If they feel scammed, then I'll post the link.

I would make a screen copy of this blog. Then I would contact the blog writer and tell them that you have proof of plagiarism since they did not credit you with this info and it was taken verbatim from the email you sent.
I also would find some way of saying that word spreads fast in our small industry!
wink_smile.gif

Back