BB.com offering Members $1 Listings on VRBO.COM and HomeAway.com

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendydk

Reaction score
Dear XXXX & XXXX XXXXX, Innkeepers,
To celebrate being a new part of the HomeAway, Inc. family,
BedandBreakfast.com is pleased to offer a very special benefit to only Gold, Platinum or Diamond Collection members: a one-year VRBO Membership for only $1!

Got one for the same offer on HomeAway.com.

[COLOR= rgb(237,134,12)]Act now -- [/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(237,134,12)]this $1 listing offer will expire on[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(237,134,12)] June 30, 2010!
[/COLOR]While best known for vacation rentals, VRBO.com is one of the largest alternative lodging websites. Hundreds of B&B's have already found success using VRBO.com to drive additional revenue. Adding your property is a great opportunity to reach new customers and increase reservations. VRBO.com is the world's most visited vacation rental website and receives over 95 million traveler visits a year!
Important: [COLOR= rgb(153,0,0)]To take advantage of this offer, you must register with email address XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.com and advertise the same property you display on BedandBreakfast.com.[/COLOR]
This offer is only for innkeepers who have not been members of VRBO.com in the past year.
For more information about this special offer, how to sign up, FAQs, and how to create an effective listing, click here.

Sincerely,
The BedandBreakfast.com Team

Oh goodie, so you can pay a buck to get all these calls wanting to take over your home. It would be VERY important to make sure straight up what you are offering.
I was on a couple of these type of sites a while back. If people are looking for a vacation home, that is exactly what they want. If they book with you they think they will be able to dominate their stay.

I keep hoping these folks will make some minimal effort to understand innkeepers but it's just not happening.

I got similar from Trip Advisor today in a nice stationary envelope (you all may have as well). "You're Invited!" to test or try FLIPKEY. Holiday rentals, not B&B's.
Who is competing with whom may I ask?
I understand TA piling all vacation stays in a heap, but BandB.com is SUPPOSED to stand for BED and BREAKFAST not hotels, rentals, cabins and all the rest they promote now.

Hey gang,
I'm not sure where anyone is getting the idea we are promoting vacation rentals. This offer is to promote B&B's across other sites. BedandBreakfast.com's property requirements have not changed at all - we never have had VR's on our site. However, many B&B's who have listings on VRBO and HomeAway.com. We got HomeAway to authorize a special deal so you could try the out for a year without spending the $300 per site or so that they would normally cost. If you don't have a desire to try them out - then there is nothing for you to do - but our phones have been pretty flooded today by innkeepers who have been saying they have always thought about trying them and thanking us for getting them such a great deal to test out whether this extra exposure works for them.
So I may be missing something here, but it seemed like we found a way to help bring some of the benefit of the HomeAway network to our members with really no risk at all. Based on the phone feedback, it sure seems like a nice benefit to innkeepers.
JB

Hey gang,
I'm not sure where anyone is getting the idea we are promoting vacation rentals. This offer is to promote B&B's across other sites. BedandBreakfast.com's property requirements have not changed at all - we never have had VR's on our site. However, many B&B's who have listings on VRBO and HomeAway.com. We got HomeAway to authorize a special deal so you could try the out for a year without spending the $300 per site or so that they would normally cost. If you don't have a desire to try them out - then there is nothing for you to do - but our phones have been pretty flooded today by innkeepers who have been saying they have always thought about trying them and thanking us for getting them such a great deal to test out whether this extra exposure works for them.
So I may be missing something here, but it seemed like we found a way to help bring some of the benefit of the HomeAway network to our members with really no risk at all. Based on the phone feedback, it sure seems like a nice benefit to innkeepers.
JB.
JBanczak said:
JB
John I don't doubt at all that the phones are ringing off the hook with innkeepers who want this.
That doesn't really change the very valid points of the innkeepers who think this is a very bad idea.
B&Bs are not vacation rentals. Guests looking for vacation rentals and finding B&Bs may occasionally take the bait.
But the issue many of us have is that these are two different markets and that the new company is not displaying sensitivity to those differences nor to the needs of B&B owners, which are quite different from the owners of vacation homes.
We appreciate your feedback, too. We'd really appreciate your advocacy of B&Bs, though, before the new company loses its balance altogether.

I have been listed on a few vacation rental sites, and have always been pleased with the process and the guests we've gotten. I signed up for the VRBO offer, and may also do the HomeAway. Each offers plenty of opportunity to explain to people what you offer, and it's just one more way to get mainstream exposure for your Inn, one more way to introduce people to the B&B experience.
I notice that many of the smart marketers in our state have their Inns listed on these sites. For $1 I'll go for it...if I don't like the guests or whatever, then I'll quit doing it. It's nothing that everyone hasn't said about Expedia, ebay and Craigslist, and those guests have also been wonderful. A guest is a guest in my eyes...and since there are only so many to go around, I try things other Inns won't and that works for us.
Thanks John, for your efforts on our behalf.

I'm a Bronze member. Why won't they allow Bronze or Silver this special offer?.
You are not paying them enough. Even Silver is not good enough - and last time I was a Silver it was $400 per year!

I wish they would just let everyone try it if they are a bedandbreakfast.com member. I'm certainly not going to pay more than the $20 a month I pay now. Upgrading to another level is not going to bring me more business than I have now.

I wish they would just let everyone try it if they are a bedandbreakfast.com member. I'm certainly not going to pay more than the $20 a month I pay now. Upgrading to another level is not going to bring me more business than I have now..
oceans said:
I wish they would just let everyone try it if they are a bedandbreakfast.com member. I'm certainly not going to pay more than the $20 a month I pay now. Upgrading to another level is not going to bring me more business than I have now.
It's incentivizing...like we encourage guests to stay longer to get the discounted rate. They're encouraging you to upgrade to get the perks. You don't give discounts to guests who are a lot of work and only stay one night. So, no perks to the places who take up just as much space as the high paying ones, but don't want to pay the higher fees.

I wish they would just let everyone try it if they are a bedandbreakfast.com member. I'm certainly not going to pay more than the $20 a month I pay now. Upgrading to another level is not going to bring me more business than I have now..
oceans said:
It's incentivizing...like we encourage guests to stay longer to get the discounted rate. They're encouraging you to upgrade to get the perks. You don't give discounts to guests who are a lot of work and only stay one night. So, no perks to the places who take up just as much space as the high paying ones, but don't want to pay the higher fees.
Morticia said:
It's incentivizing...
LOVE this word!

oceans said:
Upgrading to another level is not going to bring me more business than I have now.
Do you know that for sure? I upgraded, and it made a huge difference! Of course, I have a secondary city listing on a nearby VERY POPULAR page, and my upper level listing allows me to be seen at the top of the page. That alone makes it worthwhile to me.
Edited to add: I have already seen hits and had inquires through VRBO. I also joined Rentalbug because an area Innmate recommended it, and have seen alot of action (and one reservation) from them too. I also advertise under the vacation rental heading on Craigslist, and the amount of web traffic I get from that is extraordinary.

oceans said:
Upgrading to another level is not going to bring me more business than I have now.
Do you know that for sure? I upgraded, and it made a huge difference! Of course, I have a secondary city listing on a nearby VERY POPULAR page, and my upper level listing allows me to be seen at the top of the page. That alone makes it worthwhile to me.
Edited to add: I have already seen hits and had inquires through VRBO. I also joined Rentalbug because an area Innmate recommended it, and have seen alot of action (and one reservation) from them too. I also advertise under the vacation rental heading on Craigslist, and the amount of web traffic I get from that is extraordinary.
This one seesaws for me. Last year bandb.com bookings had paid for the listing 10x over by May. This year not so much. I do notice more B&B's from other towns listing at higher levels on my page, tho. But, I'm not doing the price wars thing. What I think makes the MOST difference, tho, if the list is short, is the designation...'platinum, gold, silver'...I think that implies to the GUEST the value of the property, which is complete BS and having the designation on there is misleading.
So, if having the 'platinum' designation on a short list brings in more guests it may be more due to the word than the location of the listing. On a long listing (10 or more B&B's) anything that gets you closer to the top works.

oceans said:
This one seesaws for me. Last year bandb.com bookings had paid for the listing 10x over by May. This year not so much. I do notice more B&B's from other towns listing at higher levels on my page, tho. But, I'm not doing the price wars thing. What I think makes the MOST difference, tho, if the list is short, is the designation...'platinum, gold, silver'...I think that implies to the GUEST the value of the property, which is complete BS and having the designation on there is misleading.
So, if having the 'platinum' designation on a short list brings in more guests it may be more due to the word than the location of the listing. On a long listing (10 or more B&B's) anything that gets you closer to the top works.
Morticia said:
Interesting theory Mortie... Haven't given that a thought before but now that you mention it you are correct. Visitors to that site have no knowledge as to the real reason these rankings are given to our listings... They just see the words 'silver listing' etc. unless they use the sort feature and select the detail level in drop box - but do they know what they are searching by? NO.
One thing I think they (b&b.com) has missed the ball on is a seach by distance - AT LEAST through the drop feature. I know that they rotate the listings within the listing catagories, but guests must sometimes seach to find a B&B in the city they want to stay in. And what about if there are no B&B's in that city? Visitors have to do their own research to find out which one(s) are closer. This is a disservice to their visitors and in turn is a disservice to there clients.

oceans said:
Morticia said:
Interesting theory Mortie... Haven't given that a thought before but now that you mention it you are correct. Visitors to that site have no knowledge as to the real reason these rankings are given to our listings... They just see the words 'silver listing' etc. unless they use the sort feature and select the detail level in drop box - but do they know what they are searching by? NO.
One thing I think they (b&b.com) has missed the ball on is a seach by distance - AT LEAST through the drop feature. I know that they rotate the listings within the listing catagories, but guests must sometimes seach to find a B&B in the city they want to stay in. And what about if there are no B&B's in that city? Visitors have to do their own research to find out which one(s) are closer. This is a disservice to their visitors and in turn is a disservice to there clients.
So, if there are no B&B's in the searched city then nothing shows up? Because if there is at least one then at the bottom of the page is a list of 10 or so 'nearby' towns.

oceans said:
Morticia said:
So, if there are no B&B's in the searched city then nothing shows up? Because if there is at least one then at the bottom of the page is a list of 10 or so 'nearby' towns.
Maybe in some cases, but in several that I know of, there are B&B's showing from neighboring towns one listed is in a town 5 miles away, while 2 others are 20+ miles away - but without providing this info, B&B.com makes the visitor leave their site to find out the location.
Oh, and if they did put the milage up, it would be 'as the crow flies' not driving miles. I hate that!!! (and so do some of their visitors)

oceans said:
Morticia said:
Maybe in some cases, but in several that I know of, there are B&B's showing from neighboring towns one listed is in a town 5 miles away, while 2 others are 20+ miles away - but without providing this info, B&B.com makes the visitor leave their site to find out the location.
Oh, and if they did put the milage up, it would be 'as the crow flies' not driving miles. I hate that!!! (and so do some of their visitors)
I know. One of the listings in my town is an hour's drive away. No matter how straight the crow flies, the car has to drive down this long peninsula! I'd be upset as a guest if I planned my trip based on thinking everything in this town was a short drive from the town I booked in only to find out it's an hour each way. OK for a day trip, but not if you wanted dinner and a few drinks.

oceans said:
Morticia said:
I know. One of the listings in my town is an hour's drive away. No matter how straight the crow flies, the car has to drive down this long peninsula! I'd be upset as a guest if I planned my trip based on thinking everything in this town was a short drive from the town I booked in only to find out it's an hour each way. OK for a day trip, but not if you wanted dinner and a few drinks.
Morticia said:
Yep we have one in our area that always does this. On bandbdot com they pay to be the "featured" listing all the time for Charlottesville and boy do the guests get mad when they get to Charlottesville....and keep driving.....and keep driving....about 40 minutes from town.
RIki

Back