BBAV will inspect my BnB wed. am (tomorrow)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Inspection time ,anyone else in the same boat ?. I will have guest in the Cottage and they have been here many times. Its OK with them if the Inspector comes in . Got a few things to do..... fill window boxes 5 , etc. Taking a break ..then off to the window boxes, etc. ; g)
OH...... don't misunderstand me, tons of cleaning, painting, yard work, etc. already done ; (
I survived the inspection with a few things to do , which were things on my do list. All went well ..... Champagne for me ?

Hi,
Is this a US accreditation system? Is it voluntary or mandatory.
We use to be part of the UK system but like a very high percentage of small UK accommodation providers have become disillusioned with it all and pulled out (it is voluntary in the UK). We just found it more and more difficult to understand what value they provided and in the end decided to save the money.
Has it affected our bookings at all? Not in the least.

Ours was a few weeks ago. We still have the same damn rating.

Hi,
We use to be part of the UK system but like a very high percentage of small UK accommodation providers have become disillusioned with it all and pulled out (it is voluntary in the UK). We just found it more and more difficult to understand what value they provided and in the end decided to save the money.
Has it affected our bookings at all? Not in the least..
BBAV is a state association so only applies to that state. We don't have a national accreditation system that isn't owned by a directory. Several directories will inspect your property, for a fee, and put you on their site, for a bigger fee.
It would be interesting to see someone try a government run national inspected inns sort of thing. But we don't believe in promoting tourism on a national level. The closest thing anyone might consider is AAA. But that's not a gov't program.

Hi,
My State Association also inspects. We have had Health Departments say our standards are higher than what they would have. I do not know how BBAV does about fees, but West Virginia includes that as part of the dues and it is done every 3 years to ensure no one is "resting on their laurels".

Hi,
My State Association also inspects. We have had Health Departments say our standards are higher than what they would have. I do not know how BBAV does about fees, but West Virginia includes that as part of the dues and it is done every 3 years to ensure no one is "resting on their laurels".
If we want to participate in any provincial tourism campaigns and be included in the Newfoundland and Tourism Guidebook, we need to be inspected by Canada Select every other year. They also started TAP compliance two years ago (Tourism Assurance Plan), and had to be on board by May 2014. The plan is
  • be able to communicate with guests by email or phone and at minimum, be able to accept debit and credit
  • have all proper licences and permits on provincial and municipal levels (fire,safety,health,etc.)
  • have good liability insurance and be able to present it on demand
  • actually deliver promises, experiences and services that you promote
  • be in good standing with the program. Guests can put in a grievance and you have to basically explain yourself to the appropriate government agency. This last once they've pretty much said that they know people can complain about anything, but they will deal with valid and serious issues
Our tourism department does a fabulous job of promoting our province and as long as you play along, you can really reap the benefits of their advertising.
I personally know of a nearby B&B that doesn't participate and they pretty much rely on Booking and very inexpensive rates. But, no provincial rating (star-rating) and no support for them. I'd rather do things by the book and hop on the free advertising band wagon.

Ours was a few weeks ago. We still have the same damn rating..
Jon Sable said:
Ours was a few weeks ago. We still have the same damn rating.
Awwww, sorry to hear that. I know you were hoping to somehow jump up to the next level. Often, just the fact that we're b&bs makes it nearly impossible to get to the next level.

Glad to hear about your success! Best for you in 2015!

thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Was there really any doubt? Remember, I have been there...... I had no doubt that you would pass

Hi,
BBAV is a state association so only applies to that state. We don't have a national accreditation system that isn't owned by a directory. Several directories will inspect your property, for a fee, and put you on their site, for a bigger fee.
It would be interesting to see someone try a government run national inspected inns sort of thing. But we don't believe in promoting tourism on a national level. The closest thing anyone might consider is AAA. But that's not a gov't program.
Morticia said:
The near extinction of the UK small family run B&B (6 bed spaces or less) is down to loads of reasons but to me one of the reasons has to be the way the UK accreditation system was run. They had a brief many many years ago to bring the UK accommodation stock up to a better standard. A very laudable goal. However, the Centralised Tourist Board (or whoever they were called in those days) that ran the accreditation system seem to have interpreted this as raise the star rating of the UK accommodation stock. The last time I saw any figures, over 80% of small B&Bs were rated either 4 Star or 5 Star. This was total madness as obviously not everyone wants this level of service, standard of accommodation and accompanying price tag.
This has left a gaping hole in the market that the Travel Lodge, Premier Inn hotel chains have rushed in (very successfully) to fill. I am not sure you have these chains of hotels in the USA but they are a very much a basic hotel with minimum levels of service but good quality (although identical) rooms and beds and clean. Basically they do what they say on the tin at a reasonable price (especially if you book in advance) and reasonable terms and conditions. Of course the other business that has rushed in to fill this void is AirB&B.
As I said above there are loads of reasons for the demise of the small B&B but the accreditation system has to take some of the blame for it.

Hi,
Morticia said:
The near extinction of the UK small family run B&B (6 bed spaces or less) is down to loads of reasons but to me one of the reasons has to be the way the UK accreditation system was run. They had a brief many many years ago to bring the UK accommodation stock up to a better standard. A very laudable goal. However, the Centralised Tourist Board (or whoever they were called in those days) that ran the accreditation system seem to have interpreted this as raise the star rating of the UK accommodation stock. The last time I saw any figures, over 80% of small B&Bs were rated either 4 Star or 5 Star. This was total madness as obviously not everyone wants this level of service, standard of accommodation and accompanying price tag.
This has left a gaping hole in the market that the Travel Lodge, Premier Inn hotel chains have rushed in (very successfully) to fill. I am not sure you have these chains of hotels in the USA but they are a very much a basic hotel with minimum levels of service but good quality (although identical) rooms and beds and clean. Basically they do what they say on the tin at a reasonable price (especially if you book in advance) and reasonable terms and conditions. Of course the other business that has rushed in to fill this void is AirB&B.
As I said above there are loads of reasons for the demise of the small B&B but the accreditation system has to take some of the blame for it.
We have Tra vel Lodge, Eco no Lodge, and many other chains of that ilk.

Hi,
Morticia said:
I would hazard a guess that hotel room aggregators are not helping small properties here. People actually looking for smaller properties have to dig for them. The hotel aggregators buy up any keyword y looking for any kind of accommodation and then tell you the places you want have no availability. Which can be patently false. But the guest doesn't know that.
I've had too many guests tell me they booked here because booking scared them into thinking this was the absolute last room in existence.
And, doing a trial run yesterday, I saw the fear factor on every page. Plus the LCD - cheapest price!!! Even if they said 'best deal' that's better than cheapest price.
It's not the lowest price, either. I put mid price rooms on there, not cheap rooms. You could get a lower price by going to my website.
But then we get the price minded guest who isn't here for the lovely experience. We have converted a few. That's been nice. They call directly.
It seems, for all the chatter, that a real experience is not what people want. They want a canned experience that fits neatly into 140 characters, one they don't have to think about. They're afraid their fans won't 'like' something different.
I've read it as - do people like us do things like this?
I'd love for my hang gliding, rock climbing, sky diving, backpack across Europe alone cousin to stay here. She could drive business up in a heart beat

We get inspected Saturday! First time ever inspected, we'll see.

Back