BBB scam email

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Got an email purporting to be from the Better Business Bureau stating a guest had lodged a complaint with them about us and that we should reply back by Jan 17 with the details of the event so the BBB could resolve the case.
All the English was fine. The email addy was in the correct format. I looked over the header of the email as the body of the email was fine and the email addy was in the correct format...multiple jumps from this email to that email and none of those BBB emails, but instead were all from .edu domains. Another way to check an email before opening anything or clicking on anything.
Did a google search and found numerous instances of this scam all over the country.
Be careful out there people! Do not open the attachment (Trojan virus) or click the link in the email (phishing site).

Thank you for the warning. Since the BBB is a moot point with most people today, I would not open it, just add it to the delete list. It may be a case of "being a legend in my own mind" but I think they are irrelvant and no one fears them - today it is T A and An gie's L ist that send "fear into the hearts of men!"

I have had that one a few times as well. If it isn't in the post, then I delete, there is no way, just like the IRS emails, they don't email me, sorry.

I have had that one a few times as well. If it isn't in the post, then I delete, there is no way, just like the IRS emails, they don't email me, sorry..
I get them from the FBI - same action, especially if I can get them at the server before it gets to my computer.

I post these things because someone in my house would open this. Someone in my house was upset that I deleted the email without reading and responding to it.
And this is why I do the email and the phone.

I post these things because someone in my house would open this. Someone in my house was upset that I deleted the email without reading and responding to it.
And this is why I do the email and the phone..
Good move. I am fortunate in that respect - the other person in this house only knows one Internet relevant word - Goo gle. Has no clue how to even start in the morning or any other time of day for that matter.

Good move. I am fortunate in that respect - the other person in this house only knows one Internet relevant word - Goo gle. Has no clue how to even start in the morning or any other time of day for that matter.
Yesterday I had to keep talking while he was on the phone with a telemarketer. It's the only way to get him to hang up. He hangs up to tell me to stop interrupting. Then I go program the phone so it no longer accepts calls from that number.
All they wanted yesterday was all OUR personal info. I don't care what he tells people about HIS stuff, but when he starts handing out biz info and MY personal info, I have to interfere. If he wants to deal with stolen ID crap that will be when he finally learns what I have been telling him for 20 years. But, what do I know? I'm just the wife. And we all know EVERY guy needs someone else to tell him the facts because wives don't know shit.

Yesterday I had to keep talking while he was on the phone with a telemarketer. It's the only way to get him to hang up. He hangs up to tell me to stop interrupting. Then I go program the phone so it no longer accepts calls from that number.
All they wanted yesterday was all OUR personal info. I don't care what he tells people about HIS stuff, but when he starts handing out biz info and MY personal info, I have to interfere. If he wants to deal with stolen ID crap that will be when he finally learns what I have been telling him for 20 years. But, what do I know? I'm just the wife. And we all know EVERY guy needs someone else to tell him the facts because wives don't know shit.
AMEN, Sistah!! Even when he knows I am correct, it has to be worded a different way to prove I do not know my head from a hole in the ground!!!

"Just the wife" sounds familiar!
We were considering getting dir ect tv (why do people tend to break up words like goo gle, etc.)? One of the first questions the receptionist asked on the phone was "What is your Social Security number?" HUH!? I don't give that out, but hubby gladly did! GRRR!
Last year we renovated a room. Hubby wanted to get the "big ticket item," then have the contractor give a bid on putting it in. I told him to do things the other way around. Wellll... seems the item we purchased wouldn't fit, wasn't the correct style, etc. But what do I know, I'm only the wife. The job that was supposed to take 2 days took well over 2 weeks and we lost $ on the return...
angry_smile.gif

Thank you for the warning. Since the BBB is a moot point with most people today, I would not open it, just add it to the delete list. It may be a case of "being a legend in my own mind" but I think they are irrelvant and no one fears them - today it is T A and An gie's L ist that send "fear into the hearts of men!".
I've become upset at a few contractors and contacted the BBB, along with pictures. They ALWAYS side with the contractor! I once had a BBB contact me from clear across the country about something and I wasn't the one involved!

We were considering getting dir ect tv (why do people tend to break up words like goo gle, etc.)? One of the first questions the receptionist asked on the phone was "What is your Social Security number?" HUH!? I don't give that out, but hubby gladly did! GRRR!
Last year we renovated a room. Hubby wanted to get the "big ticket item," then have the contractor give a bid on putting it in. I told him to do things the other way around. Wellll... seems the item we purchased wouldn't fit, wasn't the correct style, etc. But what do I know, I'm only the wife. The job that was supposed to take 2 days took well over 2 weeks and we lost $ on the return...
angry_smile.gif

Midwest Madam said:
I also refused to give them my SSN to get TV service. DH had no problem with it. So, some minimum wage slave now has access now to all his credit info. Yeah, like I need TV that much.
BTW, don't let a clerk at a store take your driver's license to swipe to do a return. THAT has all your info imbedded in the stripe, including your SSN. I also don't give my SSN at the dr's or the hospital.

angry_smile.gif

Midwest Madam said:
I also refused to give them my SSN to get TV service. DH had no problem with it. So, some minimum wage slave now has access now to all his credit info. Yeah, like I need TV that much.
BTW, don't let a clerk at a store take your driver's license to swipe to do a return. THAT has all your info imbedded in the stripe, including your SSN. I also don't give my SSN at the dr's or the hospital.
At the doctor's office, I normally draw a line through it. Occasionally I have a clerk tell me they need it because that is how they file my information....(?
Will have to check out the d/l info.

angry_smile.gif

Midwest Madam said:
We live in such a "time warp" here that when my dh refused to give an MD's office his SSN, the physician himself refused to provide service to him. Their records were also all right behind the receptionist's desk in unsecured cabinets. (My dh went to a different doctor who did not give him any grief about it.) Because of working in managed care for as long as I have, I told my dh to report this MD to his insurance payor. They are NOT supposed to collect SSNs as part of being part of most healthcare networks, everyone has a member number now. This was a big part of HIPAA. This time warp doctor's help claimed that they used SSNs in the event of having to collect payment from patients. Good grief....

angry_smile.gif

Midwest Madam said:
We live in such a "time warp" here that when my dh refused to give an MD's office his SSN, the physician himself refused to provide service to him. Their records were also all right behind the receptionist's desk in unsecured cabinets. (My dh went to a different doctor who did not give him any grief about it.) Because of working in managed care for as long as I have, I told my dh to report this MD to his insurance payor. They are NOT supposed to collect SSNs as part of being part of most healthcare networks, everyone has a member number now. This was a big part of HIPAA. This time warp doctor's help claimed that they used SSNs in the event of having to collect payment from patients. Good grief....
So they garnishee the Social Security check???? Sheesh!

angry_smile.gif

Midwest Madam said:
At the doctor's office, I normally draw a line through it. Occasionally I have a clerk tell me they need it because that is how they file my information....(?
Midwest Madam said:
I worked at admissions for a couple of years. If someone wouldn't give the number or didn't have one yet we had a way to get around that field with a fake number. Also an indication to the PTB that we didn't 'skip' that field when doing the data entry.
Around here your folder is filed by a combo of birth date and last 4 of your name.

angry_smile.gif

Midwest Madam said:
Midwest Madam said:
I worked at admissions for a couple of years. If someone wouldn't give the number or didn't have one yet we had a way to get around that field with a fake number. Also an indication to the PTB that we didn't 'skip' that field when doing the data entry.
Around here your folder is filed by a combo of birth date and last 4 of your name.

angry_smile.gif

Midwest Madam said:
So they garnishee the Social Security check???? Sheesh!
No, collection agencies use the SSN to track people down.

Back