BC Gay Couple Barred from B&B Gets Rights Tribunal Hearing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I were talking about this and wondering if this might be something we would pursue as a nitch market. In Chocorua, NH, the "Riverside Inn, B&B" is 'Known' to be a great Romantic Getaway for 'All' couples. It was started by two men from LA, CA. in 2002. It is rated now as the Best B&B in NH. They will rent out the inn's 10 rooms for weddings for $1200.00. They do a lot of weddings! They have had write ups in many magazines. They are full when other B&Bs are not. They get praise from couples of every perswasion that I have talked to. Sounds loke a un-tapped market. Their Website is great. Art.
If you haven't read the threads about doing weddings...do so before you decide
cry_smile.gif

And who rates it the best????? Do you think you could attract this niche not being gay and being in Alaska??? I really don't think so ....sorry.
We are not contemplating anything as grand as weddings. But, I am comfortable with couples of any type. I had a girl friend who decided that she agreed with me in that women were more appealing! So much for my Sex Appeal!! LOL I took the lead in introducing her to various groups in the area and their night spots. It was new to me also and quite informative. Most are cool in public and try not to provoke. It is just one more idea to think on. Art
I am comfortable with couples of any type
You maybe comfortable with any type. ....hey so are most of us here or we wouldn't be innkeepers...but that was not my point. Gays search out gay run inns and other places. You can hype all you want about taking anyone, but it is just what I know because my best friends are gay and when they travel they search out gay run B & B's if they have an option. And, they run a B & B so they get lots of gay couples, male and female.

understanding public places......descrimination laws and so on.
This is issue can go both ways...
I see it.......that.....If by my own religious beliefs, I operate my business accordingly......To have me do otherwise would be descriminatory against my religious belief..........no?
Not looking to stir a hornets nest here
Just that.....there are to many secular beliefs that are micro protected. And that the individual rights are trampled upon.

Y'all be careful in this thread, or Swirt might come in with some chop action to close the thread. Please refer to the FAQs of the forum. Using an inn the news item to open discussion or debate on the no-no topics of the forum is pushing the envelope.
There are very devout people on this forum as well as different sexual orientations and beliefs of all kinds.

Y'all be careful in this thread, or Swirt might come in with some chop action to close the thread. Please refer to the FAQs of the forum. Using an inn the news item to open discussion or debate on the no-no topics of the forum is pushing the envelope.
There are very devout people on this forum as well as different sexual orientations and beliefs of all kinds..
There was no intent to discuss anyone's beliefs. The intent was to point out a case going to tribunal and it's implications to us as innkeepers. As far as Canadian law is concerned, asking or discriminating in this way is the same as if they had asked them their race, religion or even their ethnic origin. All forbidden for public establishments.

we've had folks of all shapes & sizes here. We're very close to a large Christian live theater (which my dh referrs to as "epic productions of dubious theology". So, we get a lot of very conservitive types. I don't mind them. They're usually very considerate (to us) and appreciative of our 'ministry' here. We also welcome everyone equally. And I think sometimes the ones praying at the table make some of the others a little uncomfortable.
What's curious is that when people hear that dh was a pastor bbb (before bed & breakfast), then they automatically assume that we're as religiously conservative as they are. That doesn't bother me either. It doesn't 'cost' me a dime to sit and listen to them talk. I find that people, regardless of their religious/political views, just want to be heard. I don't necessarily have to agree with them. Why should I? They're here today and gone after breakfast.

I GUESS my post went unheaded or it has spawned even more...
tounge_smile.gif
I do not think any one is stepping over the line here. It is one of those 800 lb. gorrillas that any one dealing with the Public and offerring a Service to them, has to be informed about. We could also list people with extra weight as a problem that will be a problem in the future and one that may be hard to deal with. Like all issues deemed as Sensitive, rules will be needed. That requires open discussions by all concerned. Art

My wife and I were talking about this and wondering if this might be something we would pursue as a nitch market. In Chocorua, NH, the "Riverside Inn, B&B" is 'Known' to be a great Romantic Getaway for 'All' couples. It was started by two men from LA, CA. in 2002. It is rated now as the Best B&B in NH. They will rent out the inn's 10 rooms for weddings for $1200.00. They do a lot of weddings! They have had write ups in many magazines. They are full when other B&Bs are not. They get praise from couples of every perswasion that I have talked to. Sounds loke a un-tapped market. Their Website is great. Art.
If you haven't read the threads about doing weddings...do so before you decide
cry_smile.gif

And who rates it the best????? Do you think you could attract this niche not being gay and being in Alaska??? I really don't think so ....sorry.
We are not contemplating anything as grand as weddings. But, I am comfortable with couples of any type. I had a girl friend who decided that she agreed with me in that women were more appealing! So much for my Sex Appeal!! LOL I took the lead in introducing her to various groups in the area and their night spots. It was new to me also and quite informative. Most are cool in public and try not to provoke. It is just one more idea to think on. Art
You maybe comfortable with any type. ....hey so are most of us here or we wouldn't be innkeepers...but that was not my point. Gays search out gay run inns and other places. You can hype all you want about taking anyone, but it is just what I know because my best friends are gay and when they travel they search out gay run B & B's if they have an option. And, they run a B & B so they get lots of gay couples, male and female.
catlady said:
And it makes perfect sense to do so. We get some wonderful gay people here probably because we are listed on Purple Roofs and they have be super guests. I would search out where to go according to my likes and dislikes as well, and also for my safety.
Riki

Just a thought.......
Who is protecting the business owners rights ?
Some establishments.....No shirts, No shoes, No service
And recently there was a restuarant in the news that no longer allows children.

Back