BC Gay Couple Barred from B&B Gets Rights Tribunal Hearing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
This is actually not the first case in Canada, but the second case. The first case was settled outside of court (just before the tribunal was to rule) by B&B owners in PEI and they were agreed to pay a fine ($1000) and given the choice of allowing all people to stay at their B&B or to close their B&B, htye closed it. B&Bs are considered public spaces and corporations in Canada cannot have religious beliefs.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/10/18/b-c-gay-couple-barred-from-bb-gets-rights-tribunal-hearing/
Canada protects people's religious freedoms, but in the same breath protects people from discrimination based on sex and marital status. (In Canada about 10% are common-law and in Quebec about 17%.)

Send em our way. We need the business.
I have no idea why anyone would care.

I have no idea why anyone would care..
In this particular case, their religious beliefs. Better question, if you know that you have to open your home to the public, regardless of your religious belief, what go into this particular business.

Do they also ban unmarried couples?
Everyone has their right to their own faith and convictions, but when you open a business, whether it's in your home or not, you can't discriminate. Treat everyone with dignity and respect.
You can't fix stupid.

people probably don't remember but a while back I had a very weird phone call from a woman saying she was ringing on behalf of two male friends who had seen we only had a double left was it ok to book it. I said of course but it was a zip and link and we could make it up any way they prefered, then she just went thats fine and cut me off. I could hear people talking in the background almost like a call center or office and afterwards had a feeling (my spidy sense was tingling) that it was a fishing expedition to try and get me to say "gosh gay people! no way" which frankly the pink pound spends as well as anyones. So I was putting out a warning that there are firms looking for cases in this way so don't get caught out. Also on the family front as well.

There was a high profile case here in Scotland a few years ago when a B&B owner refused entry to two guys who had booked a double room. It was all over the papers, TV and radio. MOstly on the side of the two guys.
We're a gay couple, but it still seems a nonesense to ban people on the basis of what they might do in your bed. As diva said, what if you don't beleieve in sex before marriage, you going to insist on seeing wedding ring before allowing people to check into a double room?
If you open your house to the public you have to abide by the law and equal treatment for all is the law here in the UK, thank heavens.
Another incident here, don't know if there was a court case following this Fo r tag us tu s

Do they also ban unmarried couples?
Everyone has their right to their own faith and convictions, but when you open a business, whether it's in your home or not, you can't discriminate. Treat everyone with dignity and respect.
You can't fix stupid..
You definitely can't fix stupid. I read a heck of a lot of reviews. Today I read one from a couple that left their two dogs in their room when they went to dinner and didn't like the consequences when their dog started to bark and disturb other hotel guests. They absolutely had to write a review to show others how stupid they were... even asking for a refund after security had to intervene and take their dog for a walk.

In this particular case, their religious beliefs. Better question, if you know that you have to open your home to the public, regardless of your religious belief, what go into this particular business.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
We live in the heart of the "Bible Belt". If we could discriminate it would be against the intolerant. presumptious, self-righteous religious zealots that impose their personal beliefs on other guests (or us) at the breakfast table.
"And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners (and breakfast table), that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."
Matthew 6: 5-6

There was a high profile case here in Scotland a few years ago when a B&B owner refused entry to two guys who had booked a double room. It was all over the papers, TV and radio. MOstly on the side of the two guys.
We're a gay couple, but it still seems a nonesense to ban people on the basis of what they might do in your bed. As diva said, what if you don't beleieve in sex before marriage, you going to insist on seeing wedding ring before allowing people to check into a double room?
If you open your house to the public you have to abide by the law and equal treatment for all is the law here in the UK, thank heavens.
Another incident here, don't know if there was a court case following this Fo r tag us tu s.
As diva said, what if you don't beleieve in sex before marriage, you going to insist on seeing wedding ring before allowing people to check into a double room?
I know of a B & B that did just that - almost. Before they took a rez they asked if they were married. If the answer was no, the rez was denied. She has now retired but she was open for years.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
We live in the heart of the "Bible Belt". If we could discriminate it would be against the intolerant. presumptious, self-righteous religious zealots that impose their personal beliefs on other guests (or us) at the breakfast table.
"And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners (and breakfast table), that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."
I have had guests ask if we would mind if they said Grace. Be my guest...

Eric Arthur Blair said:
what really gets my goat is when they start talking as if you agree with them (this goes for any religion,sex,etc) I go spare. Its the hight of rudeness to assume people believe whatever you do.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
We've had that too. Don't know why they asked, you can pray over your food all you want, they don't need my permission. Never understood why they asked me for permission.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
We've had that too. Don't know why they asked, you can pray over your food all you want, they don't need my permission. Never understood why they asked me for permission.
They did not want to offend US.

My wife and I were talking about this and wondering if this might be something we would pursue as a nitch market. In Chocorua, NH, the "Riverside Inn, B&B" is 'Known' to be a great Romantic Getaway for 'All' couples. It was started by two men from LA, CA. in 2002. It is rated now as the Best B&B in NH. They will rent out the inn's 10 rooms for weddings for $1200.00. They do a lot of weddings! They have had write ups in many magazines. They are full when other B&Bs are not. They get praise from couples of every perswasion that I have talked to. Sounds loke a un-tapped market. Their Website is great. Art

My wife and I were talking about this and wondering if this might be something we would pursue as a nitch market. In Chocorua, NH, the "Riverside Inn, B&B" is 'Known' to be a great Romantic Getaway for 'All' couples. It was started by two men from LA, CA. in 2002. It is rated now as the Best B&B in NH. They will rent out the inn's 10 rooms for weddings for $1200.00. They do a lot of weddings! They have had write ups in many magazines. They are full when other B&Bs are not. They get praise from couples of every perswasion that I have talked to. Sounds loke a un-tapped market. Their Website is great. Art.
If you haven't read the threads about doing weddings...do so before you decide
cry_smile.gif

And who rates it the best????? Do you think you could attract this niche not being gay and being in Alaska??? I really don't think so ....sorry.

My wife and I were talking about this and wondering if this might be something we would pursue as a nitch market. In Chocorua, NH, the "Riverside Inn, B&B" is 'Known' to be a great Romantic Getaway for 'All' couples. It was started by two men from LA, CA. in 2002. It is rated now as the Best B&B in NH. They will rent out the inn's 10 rooms for weddings for $1200.00. They do a lot of weddings! They have had write ups in many magazines. They are full when other B&Bs are not. They get praise from couples of every perswasion that I have talked to. Sounds loke a un-tapped market. Their Website is great. Art.
When I worked at a big hotel they were chasing the Pink pound with avengence as no one had cornered the market as "the" place for gay weddings it could be very lucrative if it was pulled off.

If you haven't read the threads about doing weddings...do so before you decide
cry_smile.gif

And who rates it the best????? Do you think you could attract this niche not being gay and being in Alaska??? I really don't think so ....sorry.
We are not contemplating anything as grand as weddings. But, I am comfortable with couples of any type. I had a girl friend who decided that she agreed with me in that women were more appealing! So much for my Sex Appeal!! LOL I took the lead in introducing her to various groups in the area and their night spots. It was new to me also and quite informative. Most are cool in public and try not to provoke. It is just one more idea to think on. Art

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I would prefer they do it silently and not inclide our other guests who have already been seated. Maybe do it as they are walking to breakfast. They do not need to show me or others how pious they are.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I would prefer they do it silently and not inclide our other guests who have already been seated. Maybe do it as they are walking to breakfast. They do not need to show me or others how pious they are.
Thry were the only ones here at the time. I have never had anyone say Grace other than silently while other guests are present.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Thry were the only ones here at the time. I have never had anyone say Grace other than silently while other guests are present.
We have, holding hands at the table, outloud with others present. Very odd. I have never seen it but silently.
Which reminds me of another pet peeve of mine, guests who want to shake hands with me in the morning while I'm in the kitchen with clean hands. Why would you want me to contaminate my hands?

Back