Be generous

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Innspirational thought for innkeepers
Be generous
I have never said to myself "Boy, I wish I didn't give that (thing, money, smile, time, love, hug, understanding) away".
Put good things out into the universe with no expectation of a return.
from http://www.larryjanesky.com/

I get a daily email from this author. Here is his book if interested:[/h1]
The Highest Calling[/h1]
An inspirational novel about business & life; struggle & successBy: Larry Janesky
There are millions of people who own small businesses; and millions struggle. The Highest Calling is the inspirational story of one of them – Troy Becker. Troy has struggled for 12 years with his remodeling business. Not making much money, working 70 hours a week, his family life suffering – Troy is frustrated and confused.
One day, an old man named Cy, mysteriously appears in Troy's life – and keeps appearing. Cy, who is on a desperate journey of his own, comes to understand he has been put there to help Troy – but why? And how will he convince Troy to listen?
The Highest Calling is the story of helping others and of learning how to do the right things to succeed. Cy weaves the most important and powerful business principles of all time into the lessons he delivers to his student; for Troy's sake – and his own. His teachings are beneficial to businesspeople and managers alike.
You will laugh, you will cry, and you will learn. The Highest Calling is more than an inspirational book. For those that seek, it is a powerful entrepreneurial education; one that will improve the lives of millions for a lifetime.
http://www.thehighestcallingbook.com/
Listen to chapter excerpts here http://www.thehighestcallingbook.com/audio/ch4-excerpt.mp3

You know, I think we mostly try to hold to this, but this is also where 'no good deed goes unpunished' comes from! It doesn't stop me, but it does hurt when it comes back to bite me.
Everytime is ask myself, 'Why do you keep doing that?' it's because being nice was thrown back in my face. And yet, it's obvious I don't stop because I keep asking myself that!

I like that too. When you give a gift, it's because just the act of giving gives you joy with nothing expected in return. (At least I try to remember that....haha)
Thanks for the reminder....

Funny that this came up - the other day I was in Target and there was a couple both dressed in military behind me in the line, with 2 bottles of water and a kids toy. I told the cashier I was paying for their items (about $7) - of course the cashier looked at me like I was stupid and the couple were grateful, it was not much but "something" told me to do it. I thought I wish I could do more "giving"
2 days ago I was in our local shopping center parking lot, it was very dark and no one around, and I found $60 on the ground
Last night I was joking with guests that the Bible says that God returns things "tenfold", so I said that "He" still owed me $10.
I walked from the living room to my dryer (still running at 8pm at night ... sigh) - opened the dryer door and 0.35c fell out. Apparently "someone" was listening
You hear these things but this really happened to me!!

Funny that this came up - the other day I was in Target and there was a couple both dressed in military behind me in the line, with 2 bottles of water and a kids toy. I told the cashier I was paying for their items (about $7) - of course the cashier looked at me like I was stupid and the couple were grateful, it was not much but "something" told me to do it. I thought I wish I could do more "giving"
2 days ago I was in our local shopping center parking lot, it was very dark and no one around, and I found $60 on the ground
Last night I was joking with guests that the Bible says that God returns things "tenfold", so I said that "He" still owed me $10.
I walked from the living room to my dryer (still running at 8pm at night ... sigh) - opened the dryer door and 0.35c fell out. Apparently "someone" was listening
You hear these things but this really happened to me!!.
I don't think I've ever bought anyone's stuff in a line but I did have an extra coupon one day and handed it to the woman behind me who had a rather expensive item in her cart. It was some percent off one item and I think she saved $30-$40. She kept saying, 'Are you sure you don't need this? This is really nice of you.' etc etc.
I always stop to help people with maps who look lost. Still do even after one guy glared at me and asked, 'Do I look stupid to you?' Oh, delight to say, 'No, not at all, but you sound ignorant.' What I actually said was, 'Sorry to have bothered you,' and I went on my way. His wife scolded him as I walked away.

You hear these things but this really happened to me!!.
Great stories Agoodman and Alibi! I love giving out coupons to people in a store that are actually buying something. The coupon usually gets me into the store, but if I can't find anything right away I go to the checkout line and give it away - always a good feeling!

When we were in Illinois, I hit 5 numbers on the Lottery (I cleared about $1900) and after I got the check, promptly wrote a check to the Salvation Army for $100. Within a month, I got a scratch-off for $100.
I am a firm believer in pay-it-forward. I also believe that you get more love when you give love freedom. Rather than hold my kids close and make them "my world", I let them be free (watching to keep them out of too deep doo-doo) to make mistakes and learn. Today, all of them are close even if we are miles apart. I know some who made their kids "their world" and today they are very distant.

My honey (who I adore but can be a grouch) paid for the shortfall of a young lady behind him at our local super market this summer (she was genuinely distressed and it wasn't a few cents). He STILL (6 months later) gets pointed at every time we shop there (and more importantly for him - all the checkout people now treat his avocados with respect).

My honey (who I adore but can be a grouch) paid for the shortfall of a young lady behind him at our local super market this summer (she was genuinely distressed and it wasn't a few cents). He STILL (6 months later) gets pointed at every time we shop there (and more importantly for him - all the checkout people now treat his avocados with respect)..
The Tipsy Butler said:
My honey (who I adore but can be a grouch) paid for the shortfall of a young lady behind him at our local super market this summer (she was genuinely distressed and it wasn't a few cents). He STILL (6 months later) gets pointed at every time we shop there (and more importantly for him - all the checkout people now treat his avocados with respect).
What a nice man! Grouch or no!
RIki

A few months ago my husband was waiting in the check-out line at a local grocery store. There were some beautiful roses in a bucket next to the register. An elderly woman was standing in line admiring them, but was reluctant to purchase one. After she checked out my husband bought her the prettiest rose in the bunch. I don't know who was more thrilled, the woman or my husband. She told him it had been many, many years since a man had given her a rose. I was/am very proud of him.

We (dh and I) were at lunch today. Our total came to $8. It was a pizza buffet, so the only "waitstaff" are the busboys/girls. We had one busgirl. She was young. I pulled her aside and said, "do your tips get pooled, or do they go to you?" She said they go to her. My husband reached into his pocket and pulled out $5 and handed it to her and said, "Merry Christmas". The look on her face was priceless. She was literally speechless. I think she stumbled 2 or 3 times of the words, "thank you".
So worth it.
I learned something in that moment: It's not the amount. It's the heart. It's the spirit in which it's given. THAT'S what counts.

I will be doing that tonight. We have a Chapel of Perpetual Adoration in my City. My hour will be tomorrow at 11 PM but every Christmas Eve I go to do the Midnight to 1 AM vigil so the Catholic can go to Mifnight mass on Christmas .

ok lets do something here, let everyone of us just "surprise" someone before New Year!!! I mean someone you totally don't know and has not even done anything for you, and not someone that is begging ((not that they dont need it but THAT'S too easy!!))

ok lets do something here, let everyone of us just "surprise" someone before New Year!!! I mean someone you totally don't know and has not even done anything for you, and not someone that is begging ((not that they dont need it but THAT'S too easy!!)).
I really LOVE that idea. Honestly - it's kind of what I do whenever possible .... because I'M the one that walks away with a great big smile and a gurgling chuckle. HOWEVER - that same intuitive reaction has also landed me in big trouble a couple of time when it comes to guests .... But the bottom line is - I'll take the warm and fuzzy feelings often and deal with the occasional kick in the gut. Bad people won't change me - Good people make me better(ish),
HAPPY XMAS EVERYONE.

Back