Beating a dead horse

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this back up but I just got my renewal for bandb.com. Last year I wrote on my cheat sheet that I paid $269. This year's renewal is for $349. Did I get that wrong last year? Write down the wrong amount? Or did the rate really go up 30%?

Are you Silver level? Now I know I will not be renewing!!! I already work for a month for my taxes and 2 months for my hosting and web directories and a month for my insurance! When am I going to be allowed to work for me? If they are recognizing that "hard economic rimes are upon us" and we are expected to accept that 80% is better than no % with GC, sould not their rates reflect that a renewal at $269 is better than a non-renewal at $349?

Are you Silver level? Now I know I will not be renewing!!! I already work for a month for my taxes and 2 months for my hosting and web directories and a month for my insurance! When am I going to be allowed to work for me? If they are recognizing that "hard economic rimes are upon us" and we are expected to accept that 80% is better than no % with GC, sould not their rates reflect that a renewal at $269 is better than a non-renewal at $349?.
Yes, that is silver. The platinum is $700+

it was 349 when i joined this year
the bronze level at 149 is so much lower but is useless in my opinion because it offers no link to inn's website. without that link, why list?

Thanks for the info. That seals it for me - as if I was waffling anyway. Not! I was talked down to once too often in a recent post.
As an old woman who has managed to get through raising a family on one income - mine - (with everyone in glasses, sports, music, and DH with his hobbies..), starting a business in Podunk, I find I resent a young man intimating that he needs to explain financial facts of life to me. I was balancing the financial facts of life in real time when he was in diapers assuming he is at least 40 years old! $349 for one Directory is not cost effective - and BTW, Pillows and Pancakes showed up in the top 10 on a search for B & B in my State the other day. Don't remember the phrase searched on off-hand, but thought I would mention it.

Do you remember the big long heated thread on the old forum about price? It was a thread that Eric from B&B.com started to whine about the way innkeepers don't give them respect (I'm paraphrasing). Then it turned into a lengthy debate about how they stick it to the little innkeeper and why don't they try to come up with a product priced appropriately for us. Remember that?
It was shortly after that thread that they jacked up their prices.

the bronze level at 149 is so much lower but is useless in my opinion because it offers no link to inn's website. without that link, why list?.
seashanty said:
the bronze level at 149 is so much lower but is useless in my opinion because it offers no link to inn's website. without that link, why list?
Dead horse beating alert = BRONZE? HA HA HA! Now that is hysterical, or am I?

Do you remember the big long heated thread on the old forum about price? It was a thread that Eric from B&B.com started to whine about the way innkeepers don't give them respect (I'm paraphrasing). Then it turned into a lengthy debate about how they stick it to the little innkeeper and why don't they try to come up with a product priced appropriately for us. Remember that?
It was shortly after that thread that they jacked up their prices..
happyjacks said:
Are you saying they are trying to get rid of us squeaky wheels and only keep the big places that don't notice a 30% increase because they get so much business from bandb not to mind?

happyjacks said:
Are you saying they are trying to get rid of us squeaky wheels and only keep the big places that don't notice a 30% increase because they get so much business from bandb not to mind?
I think part of the argument was that they were now including inns.com in your listing. So you got two listings for the price of one. You'd have to look at your tracker to see if that logic makes sense. If you get nearly as many visitors from inns.com as you get from Bedandbreakfast.com , then it might.

Well if something doesn't happen with this economy..this may all be a moot point. Our portfolio has dropped many many thousands $$$ in 3 months!!! Thankfully we are diversified and will ride this out...I hope so anyway
tounge_smile.gif

If people aren't traveling, there will be no income for innkeeepers, who will not pay for listings..etc etc..and so the ball bounces....
No credit anywhere..which I am convinced is the root of all of this anyway. Can't afford to buy something??? Don't wait to save for it...put it on the credit card. Easy...make the miniumum payments no big deal if you are $25K in debt on the card. You can always declare bankruptcy.
Sorry folks...it is all just getting to me !!!!
cry_smile.gif

happyjacks said:
Bree said:
happyjacks said:
I have no idea what they are doing. It is rare to see a business show so little regard to a market segment that they profess to be supporting. They refuse to acknowledge where they fail the small B&B-owner; they refuse to revise any of their product or service offerings to fit our segment; they take the lazy way out of rising expenses by passing them on to their customers instead of trying to put in controls; and then they have the gall to tout themselves as the benevolent saviours of the industry. If it isn't deliberate, as you suggest, then I can only suppose it is ignorance or arrogance, ineptitude or ego-tripping. It is bizarre. And utterly unlike any other customer/vendor relationship I have witnessed from either side of the equation.

happyjacks said:
I think part of the argument was that they were now including inns.com in your listing. So you got two listings for the price of one. You'd have to look at your tracker to see if that logic makes sense. If you get nearly as many visitors from inns.com as you get from Bedandbreakfast.com , then it might.
Inns.com doesn't show up in our stats. Can you track through their site?

happyjacks said:
I show 42 visits since Jan1. I got more visits from SS's website and she doesn't charge me!

happyjacks said:
I show 42 visits since Jan1. I got more visits from SS's website and she doesn't charge me!
HA!
cheers.gif
No kiddin'!

happyjacks said:
SHHHHHHHHHHH don't give her any ideals! LOL
wink_smile.gif

Folks,
I would be happy to give you our thoughts on why we are worth it and how you should look at your return on your investment, not the investment, but it does not sound by reading this thread, that you guys care to hear it so I will save us both the time.
I am not sure what age has to do with understanding (or not) revenue and yield management, ROI, etc. You would be amazed (or maybe you wouldn't) at how many innkeepers do not even track their web traffic so they have no way to make an intelligent informed decision as to ROI of their various directories investments and we travel across the country at our expense to present a seminar on that exact topic.. It doe snot matter that some innkeepers are in their 60s or 70's. That does not mean they understand how to do this stuff by default. Fortunately for us, most innkeepers see value in having someone help them understand how ot measure their ROI for this stuff and they are appreciative. It's a two-way street. We have said ALL ALONG that you should only do what works for you. If we are not delivering business to you for what we charge - you clearly should not pay us as we don't deserve your money. But if on the other hand, we are delivering $8,000 a year to you, we don't deserve to only make $250...
Regards,
Eric

Folks,
I would be happy to give you our thoughts on why we are worth it and how you should look at your return on your investment, not the investment, but it does not sound by reading this thread, that you guys care to hear it so I will save us both the time.
I am not sure what age has to do with understanding (or not) revenue and yield management, ROI, etc. You would be amazed (or maybe you wouldn't) at how many innkeepers do not even track their web traffic so they have no way to make an intelligent informed decision as to ROI of their various directories investments and we travel across the country at our expense to present a seminar on that exact topic.. It doe snot matter that some innkeepers are in their 60s or 70's. That does not mean they understand how to do this stuff by default. Fortunately for us, most innkeepers see value in having someone help them understand how ot measure their ROI for this stuff and they are appreciative. It's a two-way street. We have said ALL ALONG that you should only do what works for you. If we are not delivering business to you for what we charge - you clearly should not pay us as we don't deserve your money. But if on the other hand, we are delivering $8,000 a year to you, we don't deserve to only make $250...
Regards,
Eric.
Eric Goldreyer said:
Folks,
Regards,
Eric
Who said you get to decide what % of my sales belong to you? With that logic, you should determine what you think is a fair % to get in exchange for the work you do (as you have decided with the Gift Card program) and go from there. That would certainly cost me a lot less than it does now and you'd actually have to produce to get paid.

That's just it, you make a lot more than $250 a year off of us once you've gouged us for all the commission fees for your online rez and GC programs!
I think you need to listen a little more closely, it's just not worth it to us any more! We're tired of paying, paying paying.
And yes, we already know your answers to our complaints and have heard enough of how great you think your services are...we don't need to hear them again. Trouble is, we are your customers, and we don't think you are so great or that you are hearing us.

Folks,
Regards,
Eric.
Eric Goldreyer said:
Folks,
Regards,
Eric
Who said you get to decide what % of my sales belong to you? With that logic, you should determine what you think is a fair % to get in exchange for the work you do (as you have decided with the Gift Card program) and go from there. That would certainly cost me a lot less than it does now and you'd actually have to produce to get paid.
>>That would certainly cost me a lot less than it does now and you'd actually have to produce to get paid.
THANK YOU!!

Folks,
Regards,
Eric.
Eric,
If you delivered $8000 a year to my revenues I probably would not be bitching on here. If you brought in $5000 it would be lovely. I have tried to get across to you that not every B & B makes $50,000 per year even gross - we wish! Actually, no, I do not wish that. I actually need about $5000 more a year than I am bringing in right now - then I would have enough and I really do not want more than Enough.

Back