Becoming a Biz - part 'next'

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
so you decide to offer your services as an innsitter (maybe not totally decided - maybe you are still kicking around the idea to see if it's feasible)
and you find this domain name that is available, so you claim the .com and the .net ... money's tight so you let the rest go.
then you start researching just what costs are going to be involved to promote this biz ... insurance, registering a name, (got the domains), building a website, getting the site hosted ... promotion ... maybe joining a group (or two) ... startup may costs may be more than i can put into it .... taxes? out of state taxes if i go there to sit?? yikers.
confused_smile.gif

hmmmm ... snip snip, cutting corners ... thinking
just venting a little ... just worrying a little ...
this feels so much like when i was starting up the b&b!

SO you have your domain. That is a good start. Don't worry about the ones you let go. Get yours up and running that is what counts!
You can get cheap hosting at many sites and use their templates. That's what many do. You can do promotion yourself with some emails to inns with link to your website.
You can do a brochure in Publisher...I know you know how:)
You don't have to join any groups as you are starting out if it is too expensive. That can come later.
You probably have to get a business license, but that shouldn't be too big an expense.
You pay taxes anyway, and unless you get some work, there won't be that much. And, if you do, you save the money to pay them.
Go for it!!!! It isn't going to cost you that much and you have to start somewhere.
cheers.gif

thank you, catlady, for your kind words!
feeling a bit discouraged because i tend to be a perfectionist (who me???) and want to do this right. haha! my web son is too busy with his own business and his love life (i think wedding bells are coming!!!) to help with my website. soon i will likely post a cheapo website for y'all to critique (i'm not southern, but i just love that expression 'y'all')

Don't stop yourself before you even get started! From your posts here I think you are the ultimate "can do" person. Maybe you're just not used to putting yourself first...if it helps pretend a customer asked you to pull all this together for them!
Honestly, from what I've seen of the innsitting websites available out there, nothing is that earth shattering. Keep it simple and professional and you won't have to put that much $$ into it. I dearly hope we get to hear the name soon!!!

Yah don't psyche yourself out. Decide what you want to handle and go for it. The site doesn't ahve to be as "killer" as a B&B site because you are trying to sell them on you...not your lovely rooms. Get some photos of good breakfasts and a good set of photos of you on there.
Research the tax issue...but don't sweat it. Stick with your name...then you probably won't need a business license (varies from place to place I guess)
Just avoid having "Gypsies in the Palace" playing in your car when you pull into the driveway LOL

SS, why don't you snag the blogger url for your website as well? It's available at this time. You could start advertising your services for free using the blog, until you get your website up and running. It's not a perfect solution but you could get a jump on it. At a later time, you can attach the blog to your website.

SS, I built a really nice looking website that costs almost nothing! The website I did was not for my B&B, so it didn't need to be extra fancy or involved. I bought my domain name and "website tonight" for only $100 per year and that includes web hosting! Just go to godaddy and check it out. They had templets and it's a very easy wysiwyg editor
Yes, yes, yes, go forward with your idea of being an innsitter. We've never met, but just from your interactions on this forum I can tell that you would be wonderful.
If you need some stock photos, istock is a great site and very inexpensive. You can look through their stock photos and you might be able to find yourself a logo. The photos I've used from there only cost me $1.00 per photo.
After you've chosen a logo, you can get free business cards, magnets and brochures on vistaprint.
This does not need to be an expensive venture for you. You just need to get your name out there. It will take time more than money.
GO FOR IT!!!!

feeling a bit discouraged because i tend to be a perfectionist (who me???) and want to do this right. haha! my web son is too busy with his own business and his love life (i think wedding bells are coming!!!) to help with my website. soon i will likely post a cheapo website for y'all to critique (i'm not southern, but i just love that expression 'y'all').
seashanty said:
feeling a bit discouraged because i tend to be a perfectionist (who me???) and want to do this right. haha! my web son is too busy with his own business and his love life (i think wedding bells are coming!!!) to help with my website. soon i will likely post a cheapo website for y'all to critique (i'm not southern, but i just love that expression 'y'all')
Funny, only a Northerner would spell it y'all! Down here it's just yall.
teeth_smile.gif

seashanty said:
this feels so much like when i was starting up the b&b!
I feel your pain....it's like child birth
wow.gif

You can do it. Repeat after me, I can do it...I can do it....I can do it

SS, I built a really nice looking website that costs almost nothing! The website I did was not for my B&B, so it didn't need to be extra fancy or involved. I bought my domain name and "website tonight" for only $100 per year and that includes web hosting! Just go to godaddy and check it out. They had templets and it's a very easy wysiwyg editor
Yes, yes, yes, go forward with your idea of being an innsitter. We've never met, but just from your interactions on this forum I can tell that you would be wonderful.
If you need some stock photos, istock is a great site and very inexpensive. You can look through their stock photos and you might be able to find yourself a logo. The photos I've used from there only cost me $1.00 per photo.
After you've chosen a logo, you can get free business cards, magnets and brochures on vistaprint.
This does not need to be an expensive venture for you. You just need to get your name out there. It will take time more than money.
GO FOR IT!!!!.
I bought my domain name and "website tonight" for only $100 per year and that includes web hosting! Just go to godaddy and check it out. They had templets and it's a very easy wysiwyg editor
1and1's Linux Hosting Beginner ($3.99/month) or Home($6.99/month) plan would be a less expensive and less limited option. The home plan is currently on sale for $3.49 for the first 6 months.

I use Network Solutions for my websites...also about $100 per year including domain, hosting, templates, domain-specific emails and more pages than I will ever need.
I have done four or five websites through them...very easy to build, and easy to maintain.

feeling a bit discouraged because i tend to be a perfectionist (who me???) and want to do this right. haha! my web son is too busy with his own business and his love life (i think wedding bells are coming!!!) to help with my website. soon i will likely post a cheapo website for y'all to critique (i'm not southern, but i just love that expression 'y'all').
seashanty said:
Funny, only a Northerner would spell it y'all! Down here it's just yall.
teeth_smile.gif

haha ... yankee y'all!

I use 1&1 and my current website was developed from a template they had. It wasn't that hard and didn't cost much. You can do it!!!!!!
Go for it!!!
=)
Kk.

Back