Bed and Breakfast.com, I love B&B, and B&Bfinder,etc etc etc O my!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ice

Reaction score
So I can't do them all so how do I choose which ones to go with?

Search for other inns / b&B's in your area...see which directories show up first!! THat's a good sign...my bets..bedandbreakfast.com :)

This piece I wrote on how to choose a B&B directory is a little dated but most of it is still accurate (mental note to self to update it) (example: innkeeping.org no longer has reviews of directories, it is now PAII's website)

From my own personal experience in a popular tourist destination with MANY b&b's, my best ROI came from b&b.com, bnbfinder, and bbonline. I dropped the rest.

Do a search like you were a guest. What shows up? That's where you want to be. As fast as ever you can, tho, make sure your own site is showing up in Google local (that's the map) because that is primo real estate and it is free.

welcome.gif

After doing a search, there is only 1 that really showes up. What is showing up alot are my blogs and tweetes and facebook. Hmmmmmmm maybe directories are a thing of the pass??? And welcome Scott.

After doing a search, there is only 1 that really showes up. What is showing up alot are my blogs and tweetes and facebook. Hmmmmmmm maybe directories are a thing of the pass??? And welcome Scott..
If you're the only thing showing up when you do a search for lodging in your town, good for you!

After doing a search, there is only 1 that really showes up. What is showing up alot are my blogs and tweetes and facebook. Hmmmmmmm maybe directories are a thing of the pass??? And welcome Scott..
What type of search terms are you using? Be sure you do searches for not only your town, but also region. Use key words that are not just b&b terms, but terms like "lodging", "accommodations". Try to use any and all key words that you think someone not familiar with your specific area would use. If you have a landmark like a river or fed/state park, try using those terms "XYZ river accommodations", Mt. XYZ bed and breakfast", etc.

Ice said:
After doing a search, there is only 1 that really showes up. What is showing up alot are my blogs and tweetes and facebook. Hmmmmmmm maybe directories are a thing of the pass??? And welcome Scott.
Are you searching "Your town B&B" and "B&B your town" ? You are the only one coming up? How small is your town?
RIki

The B&B is in a village. 44 people! LOL I go with the area's name. Trust me it is different!!!

The B&B is in a village. 44 people! LOL I go with the area's name. Trust me it is different!!!.
Since so many don't say where or who they are, I did not know ICE was in a village of 44. Then I would search "Myarea B&B" or "my county B&B" to find out what comes up.
RIki

I've had the best luck with BNB.com, bbonline, and I love inns. My problem is advertising locally. I advertise 3 times a year in the local guide (and receive a free listing on their website) and get nothing in return. Zero. But I am reluctant to stop because I feel it's so important to support local tourism and the people who work there do work really hard. But whoever they are attracting to this area are not staying with me.

I've had the best luck with BNB.com, bbonline, and I love inns. My problem is advertising locally. I advertise 3 times a year in the local guide (and receive a free listing on their website) and get nothing in return. Zero. But I am reluctant to stop because I feel it's so important to support local tourism and the people who work there do work really hard. But whoever they are attracting to this area are not staying with me..
I think those links help you more in the searches than bookings perhaps. I know I get hits on my site from the local places that link to me. I think all the links I have help keep me in the top 10 in searches.

It is absolutely amazing to me the B&B's who do not check and get themselves listed on Google. I'm trying to put together a list of all the B&B's in our area... a Google search on my chosen epicenter should bring up a B&B I've driven past many times, but they don't come up at all.
It's free. It's fast. It's incredibly effective. Yet there are inns not listed!
=)
Kk.

I've had the best luck with BNB.com, bbonline, and I love inns. My problem is advertising locally. I advertise 3 times a year in the local guide (and receive a free listing on their website) and get nothing in return. Zero. But I am reluctant to stop because I feel it's so important to support local tourism and the people who work there do work really hard. But whoever they are attracting to this area are not staying with me..
As Guillum pointed out, the link may be helpful in other ways than direct bookings. I am in the same boat with you about the local tourism commission. Ours is totally free (well I say free but I as well as everyone pays for this through property taxes) so I can not balk about cost for no business. I also think that the link does do well for our web ranking.
Local advertising is a very tricky thing. The only thing that has worked for me are refrigerator magnets we sent to choice neighborhoods in town, providing a good neighbor discount for their friends and family. I have gained a great deal of business from them as several have us as their top recommendation for their business associates. So it helped us with more than we ever thought it would do. We did this 6 or 7 years ago and we still have guests stating my brother told me to mention the magnet. Money well spent.

Back