Bed and Breakfast.com

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseberry

Reaction score
I am a fairly new member with B&B.com and jsut got my first reservation trough them.
I know a few of you here are members now or have been, so maybe you can answer my questions;
1. is it worth the $$$$ spend on a. membership and b. online reservation services
2. I git the reservation but absolutely no info on the guest, besides name and phone number. I would like to know more about the guests coming, how can I get their info ?
3. I keep CC's on file in case for damages, etc....if B&B got all that info, how can I post charge for damages ? Should I ask the guest for their CC again when checking in ?
4. Any do's and don'ts you would recommend?
Thanks

I have been on bandb.com for two years but it just expired this last month. I haven't renewed yet. I prefer to have guests click on bandb.com first and then click onto my page to make their reservations which did happen quite often. I signed up for the expedia and bedandbreakfast.com reservation system. I did get quite a few reservations but they do take a big chunk of money out. I do not like how when the reservations comes in it only has the guests name and phone number listed. That is a rule that expedia has. It has to do with guest privacy. I like to send a brochure and map to all my guests as well as a confirmation email about our policies. I am not able to do this unless I call the number on the reservation and ask the guest for this information. I had one incident where the guest was confused and was trying to book a room through expedia that was not available. It said it was available on my own website reservation system and it really was. The guest was on the phone for two hours with expedia and were quite frustrated. It would of been easier to have just called me directly and they would of had the room they wanted. It just seemed like a lot of work to me to be using two reservation systems so I am giving it a break right now. I am glad I tried it. I think you should give it a try and if you don't like it just stop using it.

3. I keep CC's on file in case for damages, etc....if B&B got all that info, how can I post charge for damages ? Should I ask the guest for their CC again when checking in ?
I'm not sure about how to get the info from B&B.com. However, this is not a practice your cc processor will be happy with. A CC is not a string into people's wallets that you can yank on later on as a penalty. The keeping it on file, is a no no under the new PCI rules. You can send them a bill for damages, but you can't auto-bill their credit card.

I have been on bandb.com for two years but it just expired this last month. I haven't renewed yet. I prefer to have guests click on bandb.com first and then click onto my page to make their reservations which did happen quite often. I signed up for the expedia and bedandbreakfast.com reservation system. I did get quite a few reservations but they do take a big chunk of money out. I do not like how when the reservations comes in it only has the guests name and phone number listed. That is a rule that expedia has. It has to do with guest privacy. I like to send a brochure and map to all my guests as well as a confirmation email about our policies. I am not able to do this unless I call the number on the reservation and ask the guest for this information. I had one incident where the guest was confused and was trying to book a room through expedia that was not available. It said it was available on my own website reservation system and it really was. The guest was on the phone for two hours with expedia and were quite frustrated. It would of been easier to have just called me directly and they would of had the room they wanted. It just seemed like a lot of work to me to be using two reservation systems so I am giving it a break right now. I am glad I tried it. I think you should give it a try and if you don't like it just stop using it..
If you have a phone number, you can find the address - unless it is a non-pub or cell phone. Just do a reverse look-up in the white pages.

I'm not sure about how to get the info from B&B.com. However, this is not a practice your cc processor will be happy with. A CC is not a string into people's wallets that you can yank on later on as a penalty. The keeping it on file, is a no no under the new PCI rules. You can send them a bill for damages, but you can't auto-bill their credit card..
swirt said:
I'm not sure about how to get the info from B&B.com. However, this is not a practice your cc processor will be happy with. A CC is not a string into people's wallets that you can yank on later on as a penalty. The keeping it on file, is a no no under the new PCI rules. You can send them a bill for damages, but you can't auto-bill their credit card.
OOPS, I was not clear about this.I don't actually keep them on file after they leave, but in case they would smoke in the rooms, their pet stained the carpet and I don't find out til after they left. Once I take their reservation personally or besides B&B.com, I have their # until they check in and out. Then it's gone.
with B&B.com I have nothing and they could be very unpleasant guests...hope it will never happen, but the posibility is there...like so many always forget to mention they have a cat!!!!! for which we charge extra...

I have been on bandb.com for two years but it just expired this last month. I haven't renewed yet. I prefer to have guests click on bandb.com first and then click onto my page to make their reservations which did happen quite often. I signed up for the expedia and bedandbreakfast.com reservation system. I did get quite a few reservations but they do take a big chunk of money out. I do not like how when the reservations comes in it only has the guests name and phone number listed. That is a rule that expedia has. It has to do with guest privacy. I like to send a brochure and map to all my guests as well as a confirmation email about our policies. I am not able to do this unless I call the number on the reservation and ask the guest for this information. I had one incident where the guest was confused and was trying to book a room through expedia that was not available. It said it was available on my own website reservation system and it really was. The guest was on the phone for two hours with expedia and were quite frustrated. It would of been easier to have just called me directly and they would of had the room they wanted. It just seemed like a lot of work to me to be using two reservation systems so I am giving it a break right now. I am glad I tried it. I think you should give it a try and if you don't like it just stop using it..
If you have a phone number, you can find the address - unless it is a non-pub or cell phone. Just do a reverse look-up in the white pages.
gillumhouse said:
oceans is talking about an e-mail address, not a mailing address.

Hi gang,
I can give a little clarity on this.
Credit cards: Swirt is correct. Even if you take a deposit yourself, you should not be holding the credit card until arrival. Swipe and charge when they arrive, or better yet - follow lodging rules, swipe/auth when they arrive, charge on checkout. This establishes two points in time that benefit you for chargebacks - a swipe on arrival date (which if you are using lodging-certified cc processing it will register the date), and a charge on checkout - verifying the guest was there for the length of stay. I can't comment on the damage issue - that seems to be a grey area where I've heard different things from different processors, but it is not unheard of to ring a damage charge through. I believe the way it is done properly though is to charge a damage deposit up-front, then refund on checkout.
Reservation Information: Virtually every 3rd party that is an IATA/IATAN travel agency only shares name and phone number with the property. Personally I don't have an issue sharing more, and every chance we get we share the information with the properties (if we get it - we forward it on). But the rest of the world seems to have a different opinion. I understand why, and we have to respect it, as much as we may not agree with it. Ultimately it is one of the prices we pay to get smaller B&B's on an even playing field with chain hotels.

I'm not sure about how to get the info from B&B.com. However, this is not a practice your cc processor will be happy with. A CC is not a string into people's wallets that you can yank on later on as a penalty. The keeping it on file, is a no no under the new PCI rules. You can send them a bill for damages, but you can't auto-bill their credit card..
swirt said:
OOPS, I was not clear about this.I don't actually keep them on file after they leave, but in case they would smoke in the rooms, their pet stained the carpet and I don't find out til after they left. Once I take their reservation personally or besides B&B.com, I have their # until they check in and out. Then it's gone.
with B&B.com I have nothing and they could be very unpleasant guests...hope it will never happen, but the posibility is there...like so many always forget to mention they have a cat!!!!! for which we charge extra...
Be sure in the agreement that you have them sign/check to aggree to that you specifically say that "your credit card will be charged for any damages." This may give you a little more protection from a chargeback.

swirt said:
Be sure in the agreement that you have them sign/check to aggree to that you specifically say that "your credit card will be charged for any damages." This may give you a little more protection from a chargeback.
swirt said:
I did that, learning as I am going :)

Hi gang,
Credit cards: Swirt is correct. Even if you take a deposit yourself, you should not be holding the credit card until arrival. Swipe and charge when they arrive, or better yet - follow lodging rules, swipe/auth when they arrive, charge on checkout. This establishes two points in time that benefit you for chargebacks - a swipe on arrival date (which if you are using lodging-certified cc processing it will register the date), and a charge on checkout - verifying the guest was there for the length of stay. I can't comment on the damage issue - that seems to be a grey area where I've heard different things from different processors, but it is not unheard of to ring a damage charge through. I believe the way it is done properly though is to charge a damage deposit up-front, then refund on checkout.
Reservation Information: Virtually every 3rd party that is an IATA/IATAN travel agency only shares name and phone number with the property. Personally I don't have an issue sharing more, and every chance we get we share the information with the properties (if we get it - we forward it on). But the rest of the world seems to have a different opinion. I understand why, and we have to respect it, as much as we may not agree with it. Ultimately it is one of the prices we pay to get smaller B&B's on an even playing field with chain hotels..
Thanks John,
I can understand that someones private information should not pass trough a number of people, it would just be nice on my part to at least know where the people come from. On the other hand, if we have walk ins, I have no previous info on them either..

Hi gang,
Reservation Information: Virtually every 3rd party that is an IATA/IATAN travel agency only shares name and phone number with the property. Personally I don't have an issue sharing more, and every chance we get we share the information with the properties (if we get it - we forward it on). But the rest of the world seems to have a different opinion. I understand why, and we have to respect it, as much as we may not agree with it. Ultimately it is one of the prices we pay to get smaller B&B's on an even playing field with chain hotels..
Thanks John,
I can understand that someones private information should not pass trough a number of people, it would just be nice on my part to at least know where the people come from. On the other hand, if we have walk ins, I have no previous info on them either..
We tried using the online system and discovered some things
If you operate a highly personalized operation, its what you do BEFORE the guest arrives that makes the difference. By the time many of our guests arrive, they often feel they know us.
Guests that use the 3rd party booking system were not our ideal guest. They often see these sights as a way to protect themselves. Consequently, it was awkward that we would want to contact them.
The PRIVACY issue is really a smokescreen of sorts to protect the 3rd party. Most of these sites are used for information but not for booking. That was actually used as a selling point to us. What we didn't understand was that the 3rd party will go to the line to prevent you from contacting a guest since that threatens their 25 or 30 percent
Then there is the whole privacy issue in reverse. We produce content and a brand and watch as these huge online machines gobble you up and use you, your content, your brand to enrich themselves, at the same time doing potential harm to your business with outdated information, including links that tell the world you have no rooms available.

The company I use for booking has a place I can log into to get all the personal information of the booking party. So if the individual booked themselves, I have THEIR infomration but if a travel agent made the reservation I get the agents info. If I do have the need to contact the guest, which I have done a few times, it was quickly provided once I have confirmed that I was indeed the B&B. They are very careful as they should be, even though they are not giving out the CC info, they are providing all the other pertinent information on the credit card holder.
Years ago when I first started this type of booking system through another company, I was a little ticked that I was not given all the guest info. I do believe they are concerned that the hotel, inn, b&b would attempt to contact the guest and offer them a discount to cancel their reservation online and rebook directly. You can not blame them for this as we all know that some would do this to save $. When I place availabiltiy through this system, I am relatively sure I would not book these rooms myself. I also have had many repeat guests that booked their first stay through this system but now book directly.
There are also those that see the B&B name and then search to find our website and book direct, and many more that would have not thought of a B&B until they found our listing on the sites.
I do not think this type of system is good for everyone and it is sometimes more of a hassle when you have no clue when they will show, or if they will show. Of the 3-4 no shows I have had in 10 years, I think all but 1 was through the booking system. One of these did attempt to do a chargeback against us but to no avail. By having an additional party to back us up was an extra benefit. They also can come in handy if the guest tries to cancel after the cancel by date. All cancellations must go through their system so they do not try to battle with you directly.

swirt said:
I have the following on the SuperInn Registration form and everyone signs it, no exceptions. This is after the no smoking policy. "Rooms may be assessed for other damages or loss and guests may be charged accordingly." This was after some guests broke an antique sofa! grrrrrr...........
I'm listed on bedandbreakfast but I don't have any of their other bells and whistles. That is working well for me in my town with my number of rooms.

swirt said:
I have the following on the SuperInn Registration form and everyone signs it, no exceptions. This is after the no smoking policy. "Rooms may be assessed for other damages or loss and guests may be charged accordingly." This was after some guests broke an antique sofa! grrrrrr...........
I'm listed on bedandbreakfast but I don't have any of their other bells and whistles. That is working well for me in my town with my number of rooms.
Samster said:
I am just curious since you use superinn....I use it as well. Do you have them sign the superinn registration form and also their credit card slip? I know using superinn you have to swipe the card into the separate credit card machine. I am just curious how others handle this. I like the form but I also have them sign the small credit card slip too. I was thinking of just having them sign just the registration slip to make it easier.

swirt said:
Samster said:
I am just curious since you use superinn....I use it as well. Do you have them sign the superinn registration form and also their credit card slip? I know using superinn you have to swipe the card into the separate credit card machine. I am just curious how others handle this. I like the form but I also have them sign the small credit card slip too. I was thinking of just having them sign just the registration slip to make it easier.
I have them sign both. No one bats an eye about it. They get a copy of the registration form. I know, I know...I am killing trees but they have a copy that they agreed to the most important policies (smoking mostly) and could be billed for damages, etc. They also get the printed statement at check-out. Many of my guests appreciate this.

swirt said:
I am stating in mine that we will charge their CC $200.00 if we find they smoked in ther room for extra ceaning fees. The same goes for damages from their pets and a $30.00 fee for lost or unreturned keys.
I read a TA complaint once where a B&B actually charged the guest $50.00 for a non returned key. They were outraged.....gee, really, our keys ar not free, having to go and get the key, have them made, all that extra time running to the store...and some keys are so special, they have to replace the lock....(not mine thou...)
I don't have problems signing policies like them since I don't plan on braking them :)

swirt said:
Samster said:
oceans said:
Samster said:
I have guests sign both the cc slip (for the cc company, if there is an issue) and I have them sign the reg form so they know the policies and are essentially agreeing to them. I don't have any other paperwork. If someone wants a copy of their guest statement, I will do the checkout process and print a copy for them (like our folks here who need it to collect from their insurance as they can't live in their house right now). Otherwise, all the guests get is a copy of the cc slip.

swirt said:
Samster said:
oceans said:
Samster said:
I have guests sign both the cc slip (for the cc company, if there is an issue) and I have them sign the reg form so they know the policies and are essentially agreeing to them. I don't have any other paperwork. If someone wants a copy of their guest statement, I will do the checkout process and print a copy for them (like our folks here who need it to collect from their insurance as they can't live in their house right now). Otherwise, all the guests get is a copy of the cc slip.
[/quote]
[/quote]
Thanks I appreciate your point of views.

It is my understanding that the credit card companies do not allow charging the cards for damage. I think people get around the smoking in the room by calling it a "cleaning fee".
I know some B&B owners who have had serious damage and could not charge the card and the guest knew it.
Riki

swirt said:
Samster said:
We have the guest sign the superinn registration form and the cc slip. I staple the form and my copy of the cc slip and file away. Guest gets their copy of the cc slip and a guest statement (when requested) showing a zero balance - It's mostly government employees and military that require it for reembursement.

Back