Bed and Breakfast Etiquette

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
I was doing some research for our vacation next year to Ireland/Scotland and came across this page. What a great idea to have this, especially for people who have never been to a B&B before and are afraid to book because they don't know what to expect. www.irelandyes.com/irish-bandb-etiquette.html
Do we have anything like this here? Any interest to start one?
Do any of our members here have B&B recommendations for my trip in 2010?

We have had similar to this on the forum a while back or the old forum, which brought out much conversation. I saw this which spawned from that on a website from a forum member:
Never Been to A Bed & Breakfast Before? Break Free of the Chain Gang!
Many of our guests share that this is their first experience staying at a Bed & Breakfast. What to expect? Comfortable beds… Privacy... Casual atmosphere… Great food… and you’ll meet nice people too.

That was a pretty thorough list with good reasons for doing things her way.

I haven't been to Ireland in many years but one B&B that stood out was the Old Presbytery in Kinsale, which is a beautiful harbor town known for good restaurants.
In Edinburgh, Scotland we stayed at the Castleview Guest House - nice enough but be forewarned it's a couple of stories up from street level. On the Isle of Skye we splurged and stayed at the Cuillin Hills Hotel in Portree which had a gorgeous view of the harbor.
Those were my memorable places. We stayed in a cute B&B in Glasgow above a pub but I'll be darned if I can remember the name.

Are you asking where to stay, or what to see? Northern Ireland does not use the Euro, so if you go up there you will have to exchange money and lose out. Just an fyi.
West coast - Limerick, County Clare all of that is lovely - Cliffs of Mohr are that side. My relatives are here right now from Ireland. There are many castle BnB's you will enjoy. Waterford is a popular vacation area of Ireland. Which time of the year are ye goin? Summer is still 55 degree high. LOL!

This has been on the bnbfinder.com website for years and I find it very educational and helpful.
Bed and Breakfasts have been a part of American culture for over 200 years. Loyal B&B guests choose bed & breakfasts as charming, cozy alternatives to impersonal hotels. First time B&B guests are often uncertain of what to expect on their first B&B stay. Here are ten tips for first time B&B goers to ensure that they’ll have a delightful time.
1. Ask Questions: B&Bs are different from cookie cutter hotels, every inn is unique, and this is what makes them special. Some are historic and others are modern, some are quaint and rustic and others are elegant and gourmet. Be sure you are selecting a B&B tailored to your taste & needs.
2. Mention Dietary Needs: Since breakfast is a highlight of most B&B stays, mention any special dietary preference when booking an inn. Enjoy the fact that you are eating a delicious breakfast that the chefs pride themselves in (innkeepers are usually happy to share their signature recipes with you to make at home).
3. Private Baths: Although most inns offer private baths, verify with the innkeepers if the bathroom is shared or private. A private bath is usually in your room, however sometimes it is in the hall exclusively for your use (innkeepers often provide robes if the bathroom is outside your room).
4. Personalized Reservations: Take advantage of the personal service B&Bs want to offer you and ask about amenities, the inn and the area when making your reservation. B&Bs do not have 24-hour reservation offices. If you are making your reservation by phone, call during hours that you wouldn’t mind being called yourself and be mindful of time zone differences.
5. Inquire About Handicapped Accessibility: If you or anyone in your party requires an inn that’s fully handicapped accessible, check with the Innkeeper beforehand.
6. Ask About Policies Before You Book: Smoking, Children and Pet Polices are different at each inn, so verify them by phone before you make your reservation. Policies not only vary between inns but even at the same inn there may be some rooms that are appropriate for children while the rest of the inn is not child friendly. For all policies, don’t assume - ASK.
7. Deposits and Cancellations: Ask about deposit and cancellation policies before you book. Your deposit means you are committing to the inn and they are committing to have your room for you. Since cancellations affect a small inn greatly, they will often result in a forfeiture of your deposit if the room cannot be re-rented.
8. Check In /Check Out Times: Ask about check in and check out times and try and arrive within them. Innkeepers can usually be flexible if you need special arrangements. Since innkeepers are expecting you and want to be there to greet you, be courteous and let them know if your arrival time changes.
9. Reserve Early: Although some inns welcome “walk-ins,” all inns prefer an advance reservation and deposit. Since most B&Bs are small, rooms might not be available when you want to visit. If the inn is booked, innkeepers usually will suggest alternate dates or suggest other inns in the area.
10. Make Your Self At Home: Innkeepers are hospitality experts so relax and enjoy your stay! Treat your room with the care you would your own home. You’ll know you’ve picked the right B&B if you feel like a treasured guest and long to return. The greatest compliment you can give an innkeeper is to refer them to a friend.

Kathleen's Country House in Killarney (county Kerry) was wonderful. She is very informative and helpful. It's bigger than most B&B's with 17 rooms. She told us where to go off the beaten path and we had a great time. All of the smaller B&B's we stayed in throughout Ireland were also great. I think it's hard to find a bad one. One of our favorite places was Kinsale. We also loved the Powerscourt Gardens south of the Wicklow Mountains in Enniskerry, the Dingle Penninsula and the Cliffs of Moher. We went in August two years ago. It rained every day and the temp. never got above 60 but the sun came out between the rain storms and the rainbows were spectacular. Also, if you're in Dublin don't miss the Book of Kells at Trinity College, and the Guinness factory. Have a pint on us!
[SIZE= 12pt] [/SIZE]

Our Association has The B & B Experience on the web site to tell the uninitiated what to ask before bookg, what to tell the innkeeper, and what to expect from a B & B.

Our Association has The B & B Experience on the web site to tell the uninitiated what to ask before bookg, what to tell the innkeeper, and what to expect from a B & B..
I once suggested that the 10 things I posted be added to the B&B association website and got nothing but blank stares.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Tonight we're going out and swapping travel info with our guests who have been to Ireland several times. We don't usually socialize with our guests, but we've hit it off and they're very curious on how we're able to do some amazing trips on a small budget. I tend to be the queen of bargain travel without the bargain experience.
We'll hopefully be going to Ireland in either the spring or fall of 2010. Thinking and planning my next year's vacation helps me get through our busy season without going nutz.....oops, too late, I'm already nutz!

We went to Southern Ireland a few years back and it was a bit of a disappointment. Since then I was told the Northern part was the prettiest. I would certainly research this when making your plans. The problem is that since the influx of the Euro to Ireland, many of the quaint thatched cottages have been torn down to make way for brick ranch-style homes. Seriously, I thought we were back in Texas. The Ring of Kerry is kind of nice, but not worth it if your only going for a week.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Tonight we're going out and swapping travel info with our guests who have been to Ireland several times. We don't usually socialize with our guests, but we've hit it off and they're very curious on how we're able to do some amazing trips on a small budget. I tend to be the queen of bargain travel without the bargain experience.
We'll hopefully be going to Ireland in either the spring or fall of 2010. Thinking and planning my next year's vacation helps me get through our busy season without going nutz.....oops, too late, I'm already nutz!.
Being nutz helps - a LOT!

Maybe we'll see you there, we are planning an Ireland/Scotland/England trip ourselves!

We'll hopefully be going to Ireland in either the spring or fall of 2010. Thinking and planning my next year's vacation helps me get through our busy season without going nutz.....oops, too late, I'm already nutz!.
Catlady was in Ireland not too long ago. Hopefully, she'll chime in. I missed Ireland on our trip to the British Isles.

Catlady was in Ireland not too long ago. Hopefully, she'll chime in. I missed Ireland on our trip to the British Isles.
Yes I was..but we didn't stay in B & B's. We did have tea and scones at one and the innkeeper was oh so very nice. When she found out I was an innkeeper she stopped everything she was doing and has to show me every inch of her place. It was very nice and if I were to ever go back I would be staying with them along the way Their place is The Castle Country House
If you want to see my pics and tour details go here.

We went to Southern Ireland a few years back and it was a bit of a disappointment. Since then I was told the Northern part was the prettiest. I would certainly research this when making your plans. The problem is that since the influx of the Euro to Ireland, many of the quaint thatched cottages have been torn down to make way for brick ranch-style homes. Seriously, I thought we were back in Texas. The Ring of Kerry is kind of nice, but not worth it if your only going for a week..
We've been to Ireland three times. Even though the 3 times where within a 5 year period we have not been back since Sept of 2000 (too busy with the B & B). My hubby has cousins there. Each time we stayed in B & B's and had wonderful experiences. Staying in B & B's gives you a true flavor for the area and the people. The entire west coast is the most scenic. The east coast including Dublin is where a lot of the history is. We would try and stay at each B & B for three nights each. That gave us two days for touring and we weren't packing and unpacking each night.
Things have changed there. When we first went we found all of our B & B's through the Tourist Board "Bord Failte" B & B book. Back then very few B & B's had websites. Today most of that is changed. When we went there in 2000 we found our B & B in Donnybrook, Dublin on the internet. Like here B & B's were the inexpensive accommodations. Not so anymore especially with the devalue of the dollar in Europe.

Yes I was..but we didn't stay in B & B's. We did have tea and scones at one and the innkeeper was oh so very nice. When she found out I was an innkeeper she stopped everything she was doing and has to show me every inch of her place. It was very nice and if I were to ever go back I would be staying with them along the way Their place is The Castle Country House
If you want to see my pics and tour details go here.
Looks like you had a really good time. Brought back memories of our trips to Ireland.

From an Irish point of view - it is essential to contact your accommodation providers before you arrive with them (preferably by telephone)
wink_smile.gif

We went to Southern Ireland a few years back and it was a bit of a disappointment. Since then I was told the Northern part was the prettiest. I would certainly research this when making your plans. The problem is that since the influx of the Euro to Ireland, many of the quaint thatched cottages have been torn down to make way for brick ranch-style homes. Seriously, I thought we were back in Texas. The Ring of Kerry is kind of nice, but not worth it if your only going for a week..
Cant believe its been since 1996 since our visit there. At that time we booked our first night's B&B through the local visitor's center. After that we asked for a recommendation from where we were staying for the next place. We were not disapointed, and the owners avoided the extra take from the booking agent.
We saw the effects of the building boom in many areas. Once place we had a lot of fun looking at the bones of a house being built..observing the construction and insulation methods for another damp place, with some of the same challenges as those here. Old stone houses may be picturesque, but very damp and cold. Here, I feel sad when I see the late 19th C. and first half of 20th C. houses with 'new improved' vinyl windows. We too had to upgrade some sashes here, but made sure to keep it wood, and in the same style as the original builders. Often though keeping warm trumps keeping quaint.

Back