Bed and Breakfast Guest Room Photos

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmm ... posted 2x ... must be the funky internet connection i'm using.

This is a timely thread for me as I am working on new room photos (looong overdue). Currently we have multiple angles but I'm not keeping them. What I have found is too often guests think there are TWO beds in the room because they see two in the photos, even though it is the SAME bed taken from a different angle. You'd think people could figure that one out on their own, but they can't..
happyjacks said:
This is a timely thread for me as I am working on new room photos (looong overdue). Currently we have multiple angles but I'm not keeping them. What I have found is too often guests think there are TWO beds in the room because they see two in the photos, even though it is the SAME bed taken from a different angle. You'd think people could figure that one out on their own, but they can't.
I had to take a staircase out of one room photo because SO many guests thought it was a loft room and they would NOT be 'in the same room' with the other couple they booked the room with! If I explained that the stairs went up to the hallway and not a second floor to the room their immediate response was, 'There's no DOOR on my room???'
No one reads. So even tho the room description clearly stated 'one level room' I had to manoeuvre around so I could crop the stairs out and put both beds in the one photo.
Bree said:
happyjacks said:
This is a timely thread for me as I am working on new room photos (looong overdue). Currently we have multiple angles but I'm not keeping them. What I have found is too often guests think there are TWO beds in the room because they see two in the photos, even though it is the SAME bed taken from a different angle. You'd think people could figure that one out on their own, but they can't.
I had to take a staircase out of one room photo because SO many guests thought it was a loft room and they would NOT be 'in the same room' with the other couple they booked the room with! If I explained that the stairs went up to the hallway and not a second floor to the room their immediate response was, 'There's no DOOR on my room???'
No one reads. So even tho the room description clearly stated 'one level room' I had to manoeuvre around so I could crop the stairs out and put both beds in the one photo.
Ah ha! I see what you did.
Isn't it funny, from this innkeepers standpoint that staircase was the neatest part of the room pics. imo. That is me, not an old biddy booking a room all flustered about it being a loft room. That is what gave that room character. I know it caused too many questions for you.
It wasn't that the loft was a problem. NOT being a loft was the problem. I had a few bookings where I could tell they ASSUMED the second bed was up those stairs and NOT where it is!

This is a timely thread for me as I am working on new room photos (looong overdue). Currently we have multiple angles but I'm not keeping them. What I have found is too often guests think there are TWO beds in the room because they see two in the photos, even though it is the SAME bed taken from a different angle. You'd think people could figure that one out on their own, but they can't..
happyjacks said:
That is a good point. What other things have you had in the back of your mind that you want to change or update for your web photos?
I think we all have a short list or a long list when we get it done.
I'm toying with the idea of using a gel-type effect on the room photos. I personally like the look of it but don't know if it'll just look out of focus or what. I'll see if I can paste a sample in here...
hmmm. nope, not pasting...

happyjacks said:
That is a good point. What other things have you had in the back of your mind that you want to change or update for your web photos?
I think we all have a short list or a long list when we get it done.
I'm toying with the idea of using a gel-type effect on the room photos. I personally like the look of it but don't know if it'll just look out of focus or what. I'll see if I can paste a sample in here...
happyjacks said:
Sometimes those look pretty good.

Okay, I'm trying the tinypic thing to post photos. See if this works...
This photo shows no effect, this is straight from the camera:
http://i43.tinypic.com/fyd6hz.jpg
This photo has a gel-type effect:
http://i41.tinypic.com/wgp16o.jpg
Do you prefer with or without the effect, and why? Thanks.

Do you prefer with or without the effect, and why? Thanks..
The effect one looks too fuzzy, especially if you see the 'un-effected' one. Which, of course, the guests would not see. But if the photo is any larger than what's here, it would look fuzzy. Can you get a light fixture into that far left corner, just for the pix, or were you just showing the effect in these photos? It's kind of dark over there.
Also, try it without the duvet. That's sucking up a lot of light. Or reverse the order, if that's possible. Duvet spread out and the floral comforter folded up like the duvet.
Sorry, not at all what you asked for...

happyjacks said:
Hard to say without the real size of the image.
What size will you have on the website? If it is a larger photo then I say a little soft focus looks nice, but if it is smaller it is harder to make out. These were small as it is, so the non gel/soft focus appeared grainy. I prefer the softer look - more romantic.

The effect one looks too fuzzy, especially if you see the 'un-effected' one. Which, of course, the guests would not see. But if the photo is any larger than what's here, it would look fuzzy. Can you get a light fixture into that far left corner, just for the pix, or were you just showing the effect in these photos? It's kind of dark over there.
Also, try it without the duvet. That's sucking up a lot of light. Or reverse the order, if that's possible. Duvet spread out and the floral comforter folded up like the duvet.
Bree said:
I don't mind composition feedback. The photo is raw as it is. I'll probably crop that corner right out along with most of the dresser top. I'll try it without the duvet, too. Thanks.

happyjacks said:
What size will you have on the website? If it is a larger photo then I say a little soft focus looks nice, but if it is smaller it is harder to make out. These were small as it is, so the non gel/soft focus appeared grainy. I prefer the softer look - more romantic.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
happyjacks said:
I'm not sure what size the photo is showing for you in tinypic. It's showing as about 4.5" on my monitor. When used on my website, it'll be approx 1/2 the browser page width.
I'm playing around with effects and think I can get it a little more glowy and less fuzzy. But yes, the idea is for soft & romantic.

I am OK with one picture of the room, I don't even mind if I see a shot that shows the ensuite bathroom with the door open. But, that being said, the more pictures the better! I would especially appreciate a second shot if you have this going on in your room, I'm not a bathtub in the room kinda person..
whattha.gif
so that would sway my decision, I would be unhappy if I booked that room not knowing about the tub (even if there was a shower in a seperate room....) www.cobblestonebedandbreakfast.com/love-at-first-sight/default.aspx.
See I'm not bothered by the tub, that is a cool feature...although in hindsight if that is the only method I have to clean myself, then yes that is not a selling feature for me.
I'm bothered by the creepy marienette on the wall above the tub and all the crap on top of the dresser/nightstand by the bed. This screams loud and clear to me that there will be no room for MY stuff. And if I can't spread out a bit, I will not be comfortable. Stuffed animals on the beds (different room) annoy me too. Its one thing when I have to find room for the pillow shams and the extra pillows but where am I going to put the stuffed animal. That justs end up being a stack of stuff taking up what little space the room has to offer. If they want to win me over as a guest they have to show me they have thought about my needs and placed them above their need to have cutesy clutter in the room.
Clutter is not an ammenity. </rant>
embaressed_smile.gif

swirt said:
See I'm not bothered by the tub, that is a cool feature...although in hindsight if that is the only method I have to clean myself, then yes that is not a selling feature for me.
I was about to add "What about the old man peering into the tub!"
Yeah all the bath amenities next to the tub need to be removed for that photo. To be honest I didn't even see THAT tub, and GG said it was there! I am not a fan of a tub in the room either.
I do not like tubs in the room either. I don't care how nice they are. When I am in the tub, which I think I have told you before...I would not be..but if I was, I want privacy, not open for the world to see. Sorry we are past the honeymoon stage:-(

Sorry no special effects, show me the room as it is. That is what I am booking

what a pretty room ... i kind of like the gel (no idea what that is -- sort of like electronically spreading vaseline on the old lenses?
is there room for a little window seat in that room? i can see myself sitting there looking out the window. when i can visualize myself in a room, that's a good thing.

what a pretty room ... i kind of like the gel (no idea what that is -- sort of like electronically spreading vaseline on the old lenses?
is there room for a little window seat in that room? i can see myself sitting there looking out the window. when i can visualize myself in a room, that's a good thing..
seashanty said:
is there room for a little window seat in that room? i can see myself sitting there looking out the window. when i can visualize myself in a room, that's a good thing.
Yep about the effect being akin to the old gelled lenses filters, which you might see in films to give a dreamy or halcyon look.
There is a chair by the window but you can't see it in the shot as the dresser is in the way. I'll try pulling it forward or positioning it by the window. Actually, I often find it moved over to the window so I know guests do like to sit there. It's one of those things, though, that I can't keep where guests put it because it would look strange if you just walked into the room and it was like that.

Well, JBJ, you know me well enough by now that I have to see the bathroom, even if it's only a glimpse
regular_smile.gif
haha! You can tell a lot about a place by the bathroom photos, I think. Are the towels fluffy? Are there 2 sinks? Is there space for our toiletry items? And so on....
Thanks, Bree, for the compliment on that one room shot! I'm getting to the point that I like to see one good quality shot of the room & then a shot that shows a little artistic bent helps to draw me in. There's a fine line between too much and not enough when it comes to photos.
I don't want to see clutter! In fact, a few of my shots seem to me now to maybe have a few too many things that I should have pulled out for the photos. Don't like to see the plastic trash can in the bathroom, extra toilet paper holders, open toilets, uneven shades, blinds or drapes. Show me some fresh flowers and greenery. Don't make me try to figure out what the heck is laying on the bed (like in that one photo that GG posted). huh??

Back