Bed and Breakfast Guest Room Photos

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
What to show and what not to show in guest rooms photos?
Should every guest room show the bathroom? Do you think it is strange to show the bathroom in photos if there is no special Jacuzzi tub or something to highlight?
How many photos? Is one large high rez photo good enough or should there be shots from different angles?
Your thoughts?

I think in many cases you need shots from different angles. So many B&B rooms are small enough that it is hard to get just one photo that accurately shows the room.
My personal feeling is that one of the shots should at least include a view of the entrance to the bathroom so that people can see that it is ensuite (many people don't read).
A shot of the bathroom isn't a bad idea either if it is possible. Bathrooms can be hard to shoot because you can't back up far enough to get a wide enough view. Even if the bathroom is "nothing special" I think a photo is a good idea to show that it is not run down and not a mess. I believe that the more accurately you represent the room and the bathroom, the less likely you are to end up with a guest who ASSUMED there was more and is now disgruntled.

I like to see different angles, but there should be at least one good shot. Altho, one arty shot might lure me in, too. I don't need to see the bathroom, not even if it has a special feature. Because my bathrooms are SO tiny, I don't expect anything bigger and I am mostly surprised by how big some bathrooms are. (We stayed in a place where the SHOWER was bigger than the bathrooms here, no joke.) I definitely do not think taking shots of my bathrooms would help me. If I took a pic in the one bathroom that is big enough to take a pic of, everyone would be disappointed when they saw their bathroom.
Samster's photo of the room I stayed in is great. Your photo of the single rose on the bed is great. Both for different reasons. Hers because you're standing in the doorway and you are literally pulled into the room. Yours because it hints at what could be. They both appeal to me.
I hate pix where you have this beautiful guest room and in the corner of the shot you see the toilet because the bathroom door is wide open.
Like Swirt said, my rooms are too small to get good shots. Walls in the way, doors in odd locations, too many windows, not enough windows, etc. Then I end up getting too many questions...'Where do all those doors go???'

I think in many cases you need shots from different angles. So many B&B rooms are small enough that it is hard to get just one photo that accurately shows the room.
My personal feeling is that one of the shots should at least include a view of the entrance to the bathroom so that people can see that it is ensuite (many people don't read).
A shot of the bathroom isn't a bad idea either if it is possible. Bathrooms can be hard to shoot because you can't back up far enough to get a wide enough view. Even if the bathroom is "nothing special" I think a photo is a good idea to show that it is not run down and not a mess. I believe that the more accurately you represent the room and the bathroom, the less likely you are to end up with a guest who ASSUMED there was more and is now disgruntled..
I am with you on this one. The more I see and know the more it helps me make my final decision as to whether or not I will book at a place. I won't read alot of rambling text, but I will look at photos.

With bathrooms shots if you post ONE room with bathroom photos because YOU CAN, then the rest need them, imnvho. So either do it or don't do it.
Bree, I agree, I have a couple rooms that look great then I take the pics and they look like all DOORS. closet, bathoom, main door all viewable at once. I can open one and leave the others closed, but your mind still says: What is behind that door?
What sort of things do you AVOID completely in room pics - we have said OPEN toilet lids for one, any thing else? Uneven blinds is tricky as well, your eye is drawn to that. What else?

Here is two links from the lady that is coming to do a shoot for me. She is from CT and is awesome. There are three inns that are bringing he to IN. We share the cost of her plane fare and stay.
I have studied her work over and over getting ready for her to come. I want to be ready when she gets here.
This is why I am working on taking the wall paper down. We are getting close to the finish on that room.
Swirt has some good tips too. I have studied his also.
I have looked at so many sites my head is spinning.
I thought giving you these might help with tips for your pictures.
http://www.innvisions.net/photography_guidelines.pdf

I am OK with one picture of the room, I don't even mind if I see a shot that shows the ensuite bathroom with the door open. But, that being said, the more pictures the better! I would especially appreciate a second shot if you have this going on in your room, I'm not a bathtub in the room kinda person..
whattha.gif
so that would sway my decision, I would be unhappy if I booked that room not knowing about the tub (even if there was a shower in a seperate room....) www.cobblestonebedandbreakfast.com/love-at-first-sight/default.aspx

Here is two links from the lady that is coming to do a shoot for me. She is from CT and is awesome. There are three inns that are bringing he to IN. We share the cost of her plane fare and stay.
I have studied her work over and over getting ready for her to come. I want to be ready when she gets here.
This is why I am working on taking the wall paper down. We are getting close to the finish on that room.
Swirt has some good tips too. I have studied his also.
I have looked at so many sites my head is spinning.
I thought giving you these might help with tips for your pictures.
http://www.innvisions.net/photography_guidelines.pdf.
I like the part about 2 hours per room. So many people send me photos they want me to use and I think they feel that they have invested a lot of time if it took them 10 minutes to shoot the photos (for some reason people get antsy and want the experience over and done with.) Take your time and don't rush it is great advice.

I am OK with one picture of the room, I don't even mind if I see a shot that shows the ensuite bathroom with the door open. But, that being said, the more pictures the better! I would especially appreciate a second shot if you have this going on in your room, I'm not a bathtub in the room kinda person..
whattha.gif
so that would sway my decision, I would be unhappy if I booked that room not knowing about the tub (even if there was a shower in a seperate room....) www.cobblestonebedandbreakfast.com/love-at-first-sight/default.aspx.
See I'm not bothered by the tub, that is a cool feature...although in hindsight if that is the only method I have to clean myself, then yes that is not a selling feature for me.
I'm bothered by the creepy marienette on the wall above the tub and all the crap on top of the dresser/nightstand by the bed. This screams loud and clear to me that there will be no room for MY stuff. And if I can't spread out a bit, I will not be comfortable. Stuffed animals on the beds (different room) annoy me too. Its one thing when I have to find room for the pillow shams and the extra pillows but where am I going to put the stuffed animal. That justs end up being a stack of stuff taking up what little space the room has to offer. If they want to win me over as a guest they have to show me they have thought about my needs and placed them above their need to have cutesy clutter in the room.
Clutter is not an ammenity. </rant>
embaressed_smile.gif

whattha.gif
so that would sway my decision, I would be unhappy if I booked that room not knowing about the tub (even if there was a shower in a seperate room....) www.cobblestonebedandbreakfast.com/love-at-first-sight/default.aspx.
See I'm not bothered by the tub, that is a cool feature...although in hindsight if that is the only method I have to clean myself, then yes that is not a selling feature for me.
I'm bothered by the creepy marienette on the wall above the tub and all the crap on top of the dresser/nightstand by the bed. This screams loud and clear to me that there will be no room for MY stuff. And if I can't spread out a bit, I will not be comfortable. Stuffed animals on the beds (different room) annoy me too. Its one thing when I have to find room for the pillow shams and the extra pillows but where am I going to put the stuffed animal. That justs end up being a stack of stuff taking up what little space the room has to offer. If they want to win me over as a guest they have to show me they have thought about my needs and placed them above their need to have cutesy clutter in the room.
embaressed_smile.gif

swirt said:
I'm bothered by the creepy marienette on the wall above the tub
teeth_smile.gif
I didn't even notice the marienette! I had to go back and look at it. Now is this Innkeeper going to see everyone looking at their pictures and follow it back here? I really didn't mean any harm....I just really, really don't like tubs in the room, get me thinking about what kinds of things have went on in there...
embaressed_smile.gif

whattha.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

swirt said:
I was about to add "What about the old man peering into the tub!"
Yeah all the bath amenities next to the tub need to be removed for that photo. To be honest I didn't even see THAT tub, and GG said it was there! I am not a fan of a tub in the room either.

whattha.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

swirt said:
teeth_smile.gif
I didn't even notice the marienette! I had to go back and look at it. Now is this Innkeeper going to see everyone looking at their pictures and follow it back here? I really didn't mean any harm....I just really, really don't like tubs in the room, get me thinking about what kinds of things have went on in there...
embaressed_smile.gif

GeorgiaGirl said:
swirt said:
teeth_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif
YES, they will see all these click thrus coming from this site, and this thread.

whattha.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

swirt said:
teeth_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

GeorgiaGirl said:
swirt said:
teeth_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif
YES, they will see all these click thrus coming from this site, and this thread.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
swirt said:
teeth_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif
YES
Well, I guess we might have another new body on the forum shortly! Maybe we should say "Hi" so when they get here they will see everyone here is nice!

This is a timely thread for me as I am working on new room photos (looong overdue). Currently we have multiple angles but I'm not keeping them. What I have found is too often guests think there are TWO beds in the room because they see two in the photos, even though it is the SAME bed taken from a different angle. You'd think people could figure that one out on their own, but they can't.

This is a timely thread for me as I am working on new room photos (looong overdue). Currently we have multiple angles but I'm not keeping them. What I have found is too often guests think there are TWO beds in the room because they see two in the photos, even though it is the SAME bed taken from a different angle. You'd think people could figure that one out on their own, but they can't..
happyjacks said:
This is a timely thread for me as I am working on new room photos (looong overdue). Currently we have multiple angles but I'm not keeping them. What I have found is too often guests think there are TWO beds in the room because they see two in the photos, even though it is the SAME bed taken from a different angle. You'd think people could figure that one out on their own, but they can't.
That is a good point. What other things have you had in the back of your mind that you want to change or update for your web photos?
I think we all have a short list or a long list when we get it done.

With bathrooms shots if you post ONE room with bathroom photos because YOU CAN, then the rest need them, imnvho. So either do it or don't do it.
Bree, I agree, I have a couple rooms that look great then I take the pics and they look like all DOORS. closet, bathoom, main door all viewable at once. I can open one and leave the others closed, but your mind still says: What is behind that door?
What sort of things do you AVOID completely in room pics - we have said OPEN toilet lids for one, any thing else? Uneven blinds is tricky as well, your eye is drawn to that. What else?.
What sort of things do you AVOID completely in room pics - we have said OPEN toilet lids for one, any thing else? Uneven blinds is tricky as well, your eye is drawn to that. What else?
Clutter on the nightstands. Shots out the windows where you can see traffic. Electric cords, trash cans, wrinkled pillows/duvets/quilts. Boxsprings showing- pull the quilt down a bit on that side to take the photo! Me, in the mirror! People lying about. Tissue boxes.

This is a timely thread for me as I am working on new room photos (looong overdue). Currently we have multiple angles but I'm not keeping them. What I have found is too often guests think there are TWO beds in the room because they see two in the photos, even though it is the SAME bed taken from a different angle. You'd think people could figure that one out on their own, but they can't..
happyjacks said:
I had to take a staircase out of one room photo because SO many guests thought it was a loft room and they would NOT be 'in the same room' with the other couple they booked the room with! If I explained that the stairs went up to the hallway and not a second floor to the room their immediate response was, 'There's no DOOR on my room???'
No one reads. So even tho the room description clearly stated 'one level room' I had to manoeuvre around so I could crop the stairs out and put both beds in the one photo.

happyjacks said:
I had to take a staircase out of one room photo because SO many guests thought it was a loft room and they would NOT be 'in the same room' with the other couple they booked the room with! If I explained that the stairs went up to the hallway and not a second floor to the room their immediate response was, 'There's no DOOR on my room???'
No one reads. So even tho the room description clearly stated 'one level room' I had to manoeuvre around so I could crop the stairs out and put both beds in the one photo.
Bree said:
happyjacks said:
Ah ha! I see what you did.
Isn't it funny, from this innkeepers standpoint that staircase was the neatest part of the room pics. imo. That is me, not an old biddy booking a room all flustered about it being a loft room. That is what gave that room character. I know it caused too many questions for you.

whattha.gif
in one of the cobblestone bed and breakfast pictures georgiagirl posted, you can see the person taking the picture ... reflected in the mirror. this is on their website.
we all have to be careful not to let this happen.

in one of the cobblestone bed and breakfast pictures georgiagirl posted, you can see the person taking the picture ... reflected in the mirror. this is on their website.
we all have to be careful not to let this happen.

Back