Bed and Breakfast Highway signs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
We were in Maine a couple of years ago and saw bed and breakfast signs along the high way. They were so cool in Maine. Do any other states have this? I was wondering how much it might be to have these signs out and what the requirments were for this. We are looking into our state tourism about this for innkeepers. Just wondering.

Wanting to avoid late night weary drivers looking for a cheap place to crash, I'd avoid paying for one.

I'd be happy if the county would just put up road signs. Everything around here is unmarked!
smiley-angry013.gif

I'm on a short trip and notice that they have them in North Carolina. Haven't seen them in my State and definitely not locally where I am. I think I've seen them in Colorado as well.

North Carolina is one of the states that has done them for years..very progressive of them...don't know what it costs the inns though. VA will do it with certain restrictions..certain roads and specific distances from the exits etc. I have not seen but a few of them and I know they cost the inn at least $1000 a year.

They are relatively inexpensive (cost of sign, post & installation). I am assuming you mean the small signs, not the ginormous interstate signs. The one caveat to them is that you must be off the main road. ie- if your B&B is on the main drag, you cannot put up one of those signs. If the driver has to turn off the main drag, you can. Some towns do not allow them inside the town limits. I'm thinking of getting one for each end of town.

I'd be happy if the county would just put up road signs. Everything around here is unmarked!
smiley-angry013.gif
Everything around here is unmarked!
Are you sure you are not in WV?
I agree with Swirt. I would not put up a highway sign because I do not want the No-Tell Motel crowd. I prefer advanced rez - even if only a couple hours. GPS is giving us more walk-ins than ever.

They had them in Napa when we were living there. It would be nice to have them here. There I one I have seen for an inn entering Charlottesville on highway 29. But our county changes their regs every time I turn around and I don't think I could face going in to try and find out about them. I'm sure they would charge a fortune too.
RIki

They had them in Napa when we were living there. It would be nice to have them here. There I one I have seen for an inn entering Charlottesville on highway 29. But our county changes their regs every time I turn around and I don't think I could face going in to try and find out about them. I'm sure they would charge a fortune too.
RIki.
For the highway signs...It all goes through VDOT..not the county. IF you go to the BBAV MEMBERS ONLY section..it is under TODS Road SIgnage. OF course it could all have changed by now...with all the budget cuts etc... You could check on the VDOT web site.

RIki.
For the highway signs...It all goes through VDOT..not the county. IF you go to the BBAV MEMBERS ONLY section..it is under TODS Road SIgnage. OF course it could all have changed by now...with all the budget cuts etc... You could check on the VDOT web site.
catlady said:
Thank you catlady! With VDOT having financial problems, maybe they will be more open to something like this which would bring in income for them....another thing for my "to do" list!
RIki

We have both available in our state too. The interstate sign was about $600 a year per sign (each direction) for the large ones, then another couple hundred for the smaller ones at the end of the ramp. (can't have the smaller without the larger). Not interested in these myself!
The highway directional signs were very reasonable at about $60 a year plus the cost of the sign. Depending on where you are located, you may want more than 2..

smiley-angry013.gif
I agree with Swirt. I would not put up a highway sign because I do not want the No-Tell Motel crowd. I prefer advanced rez - even if only a couple hours. GPS is giving us more walk-ins than ever.
gillumhouse said:
We are very much off the beaten trail. You have to want to come here! Since word has gotten out about us and I guess because of GPS, we've starting getting more than our share of looky-lous. We taken to closing and locking our front gate except during normal check-in hours or while guest are present. The gates is about a quarter of a mile from the house, so it's a bit of a hassle. I'll eventually get a keypad gate opener.

They are relatively inexpensive (cost of sign, post & installation). I am assuming you mean the small signs, not the ginormous interstate signs. The one caveat to them is that you must be off the main road. ie- if your B&B is on the main drag, you cannot put up one of those signs. If the driver has to turn off the main drag, you can. Some towns do not allow them inside the town limits. I'm thinking of getting one for each end of town..
The ones that I have seen are rectangular, blue & white, & are below the usual large blue & white Interstate signs that have icons for gas, food, and lodging. They just say "bed & breakfast". I just saw some yesterday in NC.

Back