Bed and Breakfast Insurance

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen Butler

Reaction score
My husband and I planned to open our B&B just as lockdown was announced but are looking forward to opening and catching some of the summer season fro July. However we are having enormous problems finding an insurance company - we have been on many comparison sites, filled them out then absolutely nothing! We have 3 bedrooms in our home seperate dining room and guest lounge and we live on the premises - can anyone recommend and insurance company please.

It helps if you narrow down where you are located. Some insurers only work in certain areas.

Karen Butler said:
My husband and I planned to open our B&B just as lockdown was announced but are looking forward to opening and catching some of the summer season fro July. However we are having enormous problems finding an insurance company - we have been on many comparison sites, filled them out then absolutely nothing! We have 3 bedrooms in our home seperate dining room and guest lounge and we live on the premises - can anyone recommend and insurance company please.

It was difficult for me to find the right company but INNspiring came to my rescue. We eventually had luck with the two companies below. I would engage both to see if they service your area. Mr. McCormick also has a relationship with Philadelphia Insurance. Best of luck!
Curtis McCormick, Account Manager
CBIZ Insurance Services, Inc. | Innkeepers Insurance Program
1-(800) 488-1135 | Policyholder Service

Philadelphia Insurance Companies
One Bala Plaza, Suite 100, Bala Cynwyd,
Pennsylvania 19004
Fax 610.617.7940
PHLY.com

A couple of months ago, I got a letter from the insurance company I've used since I opened in 2013, saying effective June 15 they will no longer insure nightly rental properties. I contacted my local insurance agent, who had handled my policy all these years, and asked them to find me another insurer by June 15. I have always paid about $7,000/year for my building and liability insurance.

In the mean time, I checked the recommendations here. Gillum recommended Erie, but I found they don't write insurance in my state. I finally ended up with a company called Proper, and got MORE coverage than I've had before, for just $5,918!! So it's more coverage for over $1,000 less than I've been paying for years! I signed immediately.

Yesterday I finally heard back from my local agent, who said they had finally found a place that will insure a building as old as mine (1902) for $12,000!! I thanked her for checking, but told her I'd have to pass.

Of course it helps that my 1902 building was completely gutted and rebuilt inside in 2012, with all new plumbing and wiring, new heat and air, etc., and a fire sprinkler system added. The one that quoted $12,000 didn't even ask how old my wiring and plumbing is.

Anyway, thought I'd mention Proper Insurance in case it helps someone who stumbles onto this old insurance thread.

Thanks for the tip, finding an insurer that covers B&B’s isn’t easy! I spent hours looking and ended up with Allen Financial Grp/Scottsdale AZ and they used Tokyo Marine Group/Philadelphia Insurance Co. and I saved a grand by leaving Tricor. With insurers it seems the longer you stay the more they keep charging- you really have no choice but take your business elsewhere every 5-8 years..

Back