Bed And Breakfast On TV Tonight on Hotel Hell

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Local Bed And Breakfast On TV Tonight
[COLOR= rgb(119, 119, 119)]The Vermont Standard[/COLOR]
Bed And Breakfast On TV Tonight The Vermont Standard Local Bed And Breakfast On TV Tonight. August 13, 2012 • 0 comments. in News. Juniper Hill Inn in Windsor will be featured on the first two episodes of Gordon Ramsay's new series Hotel Hell on Aug. 13 and 14. The episodes will air at 9 p.m. on Fox ...

I think it will be entertaining to watch...just like the other "hotel impossible "reality series is.
However targeting B & B's hits closer to home and I worry that people will begin to think that ALL or MANY B & B's are like that. I find that people think as little as possible and make unfair assumptions about all kinds of things.
Statistically not many people stay in B & B's in the 1st place so few people have B & B experiences (good or bad) as compared to the larger hotels and restaurants that the other reality series' target. Everyone knows that bad hotels & restaurants exist, but they also know that the ones we see in the reality series are the exception not the rule. If they are really bad they don't survive, hence they ask Ramsay and other experts for help.
Those of us who run clean, well run B & B's are successful because we do things right. I believe that is the case for most B & B's.
This series has me worried that people will shy away from B & B's as a result.

Well, pressure off. It was NOT a B&B, it was a 26 room hotel with a chef and restaurant and ignoramus owner. Nobody will mistake this inn for a B&B.
This show is going to be a nice compliment to Hotel Impossible in that Impossible is a hotel expert seeing things from the professional side, and Hotel Hell is Foul Mouth Gordon giving the hotel guest's perspective.
Of course, Gordon will be focusing on the hotel restaurants, and pity the poor small hotel chef trying to please him. He didn't say word about the beds or breakfasts or bathrooms. It was all restaurant and owner's attitude.
Gordon hit a gold mine with his first show because he had owners with absolutely no business sense.

Don't think you guys have 3 in a bed or 4 in a bed there do you? this is where 4 bb owners stay at each others places and decide if it is worth the price.
However they often make it very difficult ie they will get a blackpool place where the average price for a nice place is about $100 and get them to stay at an inner city london place where the average price is $300 and so on.
Some of the owners are frankly mental and I would never want to stay at their places not because the place wasn't nice but because I would never want to stay with those people! What they don't seem to understand is it is not about winning its about showing your place and yourself in the best light. We had a lady who did the show in the next town (so close its nearly the same town) and she said it bluntly I want to show people what there is to do here and that I have a decent place - she didn't win but had a huge upsurge of business to the point where she was sending people all over the town and made a lot of people a lot of money and excellent PR for Knaresborough! that is the way to play the game!

I think it will be entertaining to watch...just like the other "hotel impossible "reality series is.
However targeting B & B's hits closer to home and I worry that people will begin to think that ALL or MANY B & B's are like that. I find that people think as little as possible and make unfair assumptions about all kinds of things.
Statistically not many people stay in B & B's in the 1st place so few people have B & B experiences (good or bad) as compared to the larger hotels and restaurants that the other reality series' target. Everyone knows that bad hotels & restaurants exist, but they also know that the ones we see in the reality series are the exception not the rule. If they are really bad they don't survive, hence they ask Ramsay and other experts for help.
Those of us who run clean, well run B & B's are successful because we do things right. I believe that is the case for most B & B's.
This series has me worried that people will shy away from B & B's as a result..
OK, I'll admit that I am not a big fan of reality TV and rarely, if ever, watch it or most FOX programing. But, do you really think that the people who do watch Hotel Hell think it is "Real"? It is, after all, just scripted entertainment, and may not have much in the way of truth to it. I can't see anyone with half a brain making a decision about whether or not to stay in a B+B actually basing their decision on a program like Hotel Hell. And frankly, those who do think that realityTV programs reflect reality, are probably not the people who would choose to stay in a B+B anyway.

OK, I'll admit that I am not a big fan of reality TV and rarely, if ever, watch it or most FOX programing. But, do you really think that the people who do watch Hotel Hell think it is "Real"? It is, after all, just scripted entertainment, and may not have much in the way of truth to it. I can't see anyone with half a brain making a decision about whether or not to stay in a B+B actually basing their decision on a program like Hotel Hell. And frankly, those who do think that realityTV programs reflect reality, are probably not the people who would choose to stay in a B+B anyway.
Silverspoon said:
I guess I'm in with the dummies because I thought Hotel Hell was, mostly, real. I know there are some facial expressions and such done just for the cameras and editors, and I assume they reshoot some scenes for better effect, but didn't realize it's actually scripted. Are you sure about that?
Now you're probably going to tell me pro wrestling isn't real either ;-)

People are strange. That's all anyone can say. ;-) The number of people who wanted to stay with Tori & Dean was mind-boggling. And the number of people who say to me that they saw me in Rachael Ray's mag and they do EVERYTHING she says on a vacation is also staggering.
A couple of my friends were also written about in her mag for different locations and seasons and they said the same thing. The guests only book for the events mentioned in the article, they don't come any other time and they 'do' everything in the article.

Real or not...sadly, many or most people are hugely influenced by what they say & hear in the media.
They consciously or unconsciously think that there must be at least some truth to what they see and hear.
I don't think these type of programs are good for our industry. We all make so much effort to make the experience wonderful for our guests. It is sad that the good and positive things in life don't rate high enough to make a reality tv show. Wouldn't it be so nice if they did.

Real or not...sadly, many or most people are hugely influenced by what they say & hear in the media.
They consciously or unconsciously think that there must be at least some truth to what they see and hear.
I don't think these type of programs are good for our industry. We all make so much effort to make the experience wonderful for our guests. It is sad that the good and positive things in life don't rate high enough to make a reality tv show. Wouldn't it be so nice if they did.
elkems said:
I would like to know the stats if people go to B&B's and country inns more after the shows have aired. Would be nice to know aye!
Anything that is foul mouthed I won't watch. I don't need to watch aggression. So if he is on there doing the same red faced cussing, then forget it! But people watch it, they sure do and it has made him a mint.

So, do you think that people will think it's because they are a Gay couple running an inn?
And that's my point, I don't honestly think that people will judge all B&Bs in this way, in the same way that I don't think they judge all restaurants that way because of his restaurant shows (though I will be the first to say that I much prefered his UK restaurant show where you actually saw him get into the numbers with the owners, something that seems to be skipped in the US version.)
My perspective, he's doing a specific business that is being badly run and pointing out where things are going wrong. Gordon Ramsay doesn't seem to care that it's a Gay couple, doesn't seem to care about anything other than running the business right, profitably and he understands that employees are the backbone of a company. To me, he's doing it right.
And yes, I'm a fan and I still want to meet him. His instructions on how to make scrambled eggs is still one of the best classics I have ever seen.
I don't think his foul mouth is agressive for the most part, it's interjection. Of course, if they ran this in Canada, after certain hours they wouldn't even need to bleep him.
Reminds sometimes of shows like Restaurant Makeover or Restaurant Impossible, sure they revamp the menu, sure they fix the decor, but the problem wasn't the decor or the menu... it was the owners. What are you doing to fix the owners? Are you showing them how to calculate food costs? Are you showing them that they have to pay for food that they eat or take? Are you making sure that the employees are properly paid, that you provide them with a meal so they are ready and able to serve all night? Are you showing someone how to replace you if you are sick or need vacation, etc etc etc. The piece that doesn't make it to TV because it's not photogenic.

Don't think you guys have 3 in a bed or 4 in a bed there do you? this is where 4 bb owners stay at each others places and decide if it is worth the price.
However they often make it very difficult ie they will get a blackpool place where the average price for a nice place is about $100 and get them to stay at an inner city london place where the average price is $300 and so on.
Some of the owners are frankly mental and I would never want to stay at their places not because the place wasn't nice but because I would never want to stay with those people! What they don't seem to understand is it is not about winning its about showing your place and yourself in the best light. We had a lady who did the show in the next town (so close its nearly the same town) and she said it bluntly I want to show people what there is to do here and that I have a decent place - she didn't win but had a huge upsurge of business to the point where she was sending people all over the town and made a lot of people a lot of money and excellent PR for Knaresborough! that is the way to play the game!.
Now that's interesting...... I've had several emails from chan nel 4 over the years asking if we'd take part. Knowing that B&B owners can be the worst possible guests before you start, I've always said there is no way I'd have three lots round here ripping the place apart on national TV.
Maybe I need to re-think?

So, do you think that people will think it's because they are a Gay couple running an inn?
And that's my point, I don't honestly think that people will judge all B&Bs in this way, in the same way that I don't think they judge all restaurants that way because of his restaurant shows (though I will be the first to say that I much prefered his UK restaurant show where you actually saw him get into the numbers with the owners, something that seems to be skipped in the US version.)
My perspective, he's doing a specific business that is being badly run and pointing out where things are going wrong. Gordon Ramsay doesn't seem to care that it's a Gay couple, doesn't seem to care about anything other than running the business right, profitably and he understands that employees are the backbone of a company. To me, he's doing it right.
And yes, I'm a fan and I still want to meet him. His instructions on how to make scrambled eggs is still one of the best classics I have ever seen.
I don't think his foul mouth is agressive for the most part, it's interjection. Of course, if they ran this in Canada, after certain hours they wouldn't even need to bleep him.
Reminds sometimes of shows like Restaurant Makeover or Restaurant Impossible, sure they revamp the menu, sure they fix the decor, but the problem wasn't the decor or the menu... it was the owners. What are you doing to fix the owners? Are you showing them how to calculate food costs? Are you showing them that they have to pay for food that they eat or take? Are you making sure that the employees are properly paid, that you provide them with a meal so they are ready and able to serve all night? Are you showing someone how to replace you if you are sick or need vacation, etc etc etc. The piece that doesn't make it to TV because it's not photogenic.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
...I don't honestly think that people will judge all B&Bs in this way, in the same way that I don't think they judge all restaurants that way because of his restaurant shows (though I will be the first to say that I much prefered his UK restaurant show where you actually saw him get into the numbers with the owners, something that seems to be skipped in the US version.)
My perspective, he's doing a specific business that is being badly run and pointing out where things are going wrong...
My thinking exactly. I don't think pointing out one badly run inn is a reflection on other inns at all. If anything, this one they're doing now might grab the interest of a few people who get to see inside this fantastic old mansion, causing them to give a B&B a try someday, something they'd never thought of doing before. They say there's no such thing as BAD publicity.
Gordon's Hotel Hell seems entertaining, but I don't think we'll get much of real use to innkeepers from it. On the other hand, I find most episodes of Hotel Impossible have a few tidbits of value to me.

There is a huge perception that guys at a B&B are gay. When we bought this place all of his brothers razzed him about finally batting for the other team and how they always 'knew' he was gay. Not sure how they explain me, but that's another story! ;-)

We watched it. I just thought that the owner was a narsissistic clueless dick. This came across like an upscale version of "Hoarders".

There is a huge perception that guys at a B&B are gay. When we bought this place all of his brothers razzed him about finally batting for the other team and how they always 'knew' he was gay. Not sure how they explain me, but that's another story! ;-)
Around here, about a quarter are. But then again, about a quarter of the B&Bs are in the village. It's an underserved class, no hotel specifically caters to them, so the B&Bs do.

Silverspoon said:
I guess I'm in with the dummies because I thought Hotel Hell was, mostly, real. I know there are some facial expressions and such done just for the cameras and editors, and I assume they reshoot some scenes for better effect, but didn't realize it's actually scripted. Are you sure about that?
Now you're probably going to tell me pro wrestling isn't real either ;-)
Oh no....we all know that pro wrestling is the real deal!
shades_smile.gif

As far as reality TV goes I only have my own experience with being on HGTV a few years ago to go by. They have a story that they want to sell, it may be loosly based on a few facts but they ramp it up and change at will to make things more interesting.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
...I don't honestly think that people will judge all B&Bs in this way, in the same way that I don't think they judge all restaurants that way because of his restaurant shows (though I will be the first to say that I much prefered his UK restaurant show where you actually saw him get into the numbers with the owners, something that seems to be skipped in the US version.)
My perspective, he's doing a specific business that is being badly run and pointing out where things are going wrong...
My thinking exactly. I don't think pointing out one badly run inn is a reflection on other inns at all. If anything, this one they're doing now might grab the interest of a few people who get to see inside this fantastic old mansion, causing them to give a B&B a try someday, something they'd never thought of doing before. They say there's no such thing as BAD publicity.
Gordon's Hotel Hell seems entertaining, but I don't think we'll get much of real use to innkeepers from it. On the other hand, I find most episodes of Hotel Impossible have a few tidbits of value to me.
Arkansawyer said:
On the other hand, I find most episodes of Hotel Impossible have a few tidbits of value to me.
I looked at the website of the B&B they did in Vermont. They have a decent website, and good TA reviews, but the changes and the publicity don't seem to have done much for their advance reservations. Unfortunately.

Just watched episode two, and enjoyed it. Didn't learn a thing about innkeeping, but enjoyed it. As Eric said, "the problem wasn't the decor or the menu... it was the owners. What are you doing to fix the owners?"
This inn will no doubt experience a short-term bump in business just from the publicity, but long-term the owners have to change, and people rarely change.
And with a tip of the hat to Silverspoon, a lot of tonight's episode seemed contrived, scripted to create more drama than was really there. Whatever. As I said, I enjoyed it...except the parts where Gordon took his shirt off. Not a pretty sight.

Back