Bed and Breakfast Websites from Guest Perspective

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do think that the location / region does dictate what type of breakfast you should serve - to a degree! It also depends on the type of market you are catering to or want to attract.
I do serve a gourmet breakfast. This is one of my trademarks and is a nitch that only we fill in the area. The big city B&B's near us can not (local law) serve anything but continental, some of the other neighboring town B&B's serve a breakfast but not like ours. Our breakfast is our most commented amenities and one of the top reasons people return. I do make my on preserves, buy local fresh fruit - every day or two, and most of my recipes are based on local flair.
Do I have those that skip breakfast, you bet - I posted about that last week. I do a lighter style breakfast for early (business) breakfast people during the week and most will say, wow if this is your simple breakfast, I must come back and enjoy the real thing. Do I have those that see what I serve and the next day say - can I just have a simple scramble - yes! But for the most part, the gorumet breakfast is working for me. I have calcuated my average breakfast cost to be around $1.00 to $1.50 per person depending on what I serve, this only is based on grocery costs*. My room rates ave. $110 per night.
Again, I am not saying that every B&B in every city should serve a breakfast like mine. -.
Can you share with us a couple sample menus?

Yes, my calcuations are about right. This of course is based on only 1 serving of lets say OJ etc., not including coffee. I do buy as much as I can from the local farmers market which is so much cheaper than in the grocery and very fresh. So my fruit, for example is ripe when I buy and I can cut and serve the next morning. We are in a very good area for fresh produce for most of the year. I do get my eggs from there as well but have to admit that I do get free eggs from time to time (not anywhere near consistantly) from my good friend that has chickens. (Free is relative as I usually ask him to join us for lunch or dinner, but would even without eggs) My preserves are made with homegrown or local fruit which I get very reasonably from the local farms. My coffee is purchased direct from one of the local coffee plants - I do save a lot here!
Grocery costs are different in different regions...For example, due to the unique foods, spices etc. for this area we have a lot of our guests ask for a grocery store so they can pack some to bring home. So many (especially those from the northeast) comment on the 'low' prices on groceries here. Now I do not think grocery prices are low, but - it is all relative.

Yes, my calcuations are about right. This of course is based on only 1 serving of lets say OJ etc., not including coffee. I do buy as much as I can from the local farmers market which is so much cheaper than in the grocery and very fresh. So my fruit, for example is ripe when I buy and I can cut and serve the next morning. We are in a very good area for fresh produce for most of the year. I do get my eggs from there as well but have to admit that I do get free eggs from time to time (not anywhere near consistantly) from my good friend that has chickens. (Free is relative as I usually ask him to join us for lunch or dinner, but would even without eggs) My preserves are made with homegrown or local fruit which I get very reasonably from the local farms. My coffee is purchased direct from one of the local coffee plants - I do save a lot here!
Grocery costs are different in different regions...For example, due to the unique foods, spices etc. for this area we have a lot of our guests ask for a grocery store so they can pack some to bring home. So many (especially those from the northeast) comment on the 'low' prices on groceries here. Now I do not think grocery prices are low, but - it is all relative..
Wow, where are you located? We also shop our farmer market etc and buy direct from farms, but they charge as much if not MORE than the grocery stores! I could never do breakfast for $1 - $1.50.
I envy you!
Riki

Grocery costs are different in different regions...For example, due to the unique foods, spices etc. for this area we have a lot of our guests ask for a grocery store so they can pack some to bring home. So many (especially those from the northeast) comment on the 'low' prices on groceries here. Now I do not think grocery prices are low, but - it is all relative..
Sorry but the last time I shopped for groceries in the south, the prices were similar if not more than what I pay here in VA. I do not see how you can figure $1.00 for breakfast even if you do make lots of things yourself.

Cherry64 said: Good Breakfast. I like eggs and pancakes, but I can make that at home. I want more than the basics.
You might have eggs or pancakes here, but they would NOT be what you would have at home. My egg bakes are very good nd of couse come with the homemade bread but even without are not what you would fix at home. Any I very much doubt you would be fixing walnut oatmeal pancakes at home. Do not think of the eggs, panckes etc as something you could fix at home because ours will always be different, at each B & B.
What it really comes down to is a tidbit I read in a Life in the United States section of Reader's Digest many years ago that was said at a crafts show. "I told my husband I can make that, Then the crafts lady said to me, "But will you?" I bought it on the spot."

Just browsing through the forum, and...I just don't see how you do this for $1.00 per serving.....no way I just don't see how....impossible. OJ alone even for one servin of 8 ounces is .25 cents per glass, that does not include whatever else you are serving.

Just browsing through the forum, and...I just don't see how you do this for $1.00 per serving.....no way I just don't see how....impossible. OJ alone even for one servin of 8 ounces is .25 cents per glass, that does not include whatever else you are serving..
Just browsing through the forum, and...I just don't see how you do this for $1.00 per serving.....no way I just don't see how....impossible. OJ alone even for one servin of 8 ounces is .25 cents per glass, that does not include whatever else you are serving.
Welcome to the forum Birdwatcher
welcome.gif
I love the gorge.

Back