Bed & Breakfast Associations for Philadelphia PA

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebenezer

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a BnB Association in the city of Philadelphia? I have searched online and called a couple of Inns and have not gotten any response. My main question is, do I need to apply for commercial zoning from residential in order to open as a BnB in Philadelphia? Any info or direction will help. Thanks.

Contact the Philadelphia zoning board. Every place is different as to their requirements.

I don't know of any in Philly. But I am sure you will need to get zoning permission/ change. You need to contact the local zoning board not the B & B association. It differs in just about every city.

Hi Eb,
You may need to do more than that, ie appeals and zoning IF they will even consider it, many places do not even want B&B's in their town or city. Go directly to the city itself, in person and get the info (in writing) what needs to be done.
I wouldn't contact other B&B's cold calling, they probably won't appreciate it, and in fact if you can't find it online, then I bet there isn't a B&B association there. PS I have had people calling this way "We want to open a B&B can you tell us what we need to do." Unless you pay them for their consulting time, then you are wasting their time, just an explanation of why they prob didn't call you back,
All the best with your plans!

The state association falls under the PA Tourism division, I believe, so there are many smaller regional associations. I doubt if there are enough B&Bs within the city limits to warrant one for just Philadelphia. But, it wouldn't matter, you would need to check with the governmental entities of your particular ward, and the city itself, to find out what the zoning would or wouldn't allow.

You need to check out the zoning board for the provisions for the use of the building, but also need to check what agency within Philly that issues business licenses to see what is involved in opening a B&B there. There may be other hurdles with the codes and inspections, health, and fire departments.

PS Eb if you can change the title of this thread to better fit your question (B&B zoning in Philly or something like that), that would be even better (later on when you go to find it or others). Just a suggestion.
wink_smile.gif

I believe there is a movement afoot to organize a PA State Association. Up to now they have been under PA Travel and Hospitality Association. There are many, many regional associations.
As the others have said - go to Zoning - GET IT IN WRITING
Go to Building Codes - GET IT IN WRITING
Go to the Health Dept. - GET IT IN WRITING
Get Fire Codes - GET IT IN WRITING

Back