Bed & Breakfast Browser 2.0

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey... they have a B&B in Harrisonburg that closed 5 yrs ago ..Thats funny... .Mary in Bridgewater,Va..
yeah I saw that..but there are so many problems with the listings I just figured...why should I do their work for them. They obviously don't care about what they put in their directory so why should we go out of our way to help????
I just saw where the same company that created it also created this site. Wonder where they got all the information from??? Culled from the Internet???? But..maybe this one could be helpful to some of your innkeepers out there.
catlady said:
yeah I saw that..but there are so many problems with the listings I just figured...why should I do their work for them. They obviously don't care about what they put in their directory so why should we go out of our way to help????
Wow. The amount of anger coming from you is disturbing. Maybe you should take several deep breaths before you post.

Do you have plans for solving this issue?
bbbrowser.gif

Your site has only two indexed pages in google that are from nearly three months ago. Both are actually the same page. So you already have a canonical issue (shouldn't be showing the www and non-www version) . Your rewrite will solve that. I see that many of your listings have listing dates that go back to 2006 and you have said that some of your data is several years old. That should have been more than long enough to build some history and some toolbarPR as well. I am guessing that was all on the old domain at www.bedandbeakfastbrowser.com
I've looked at the design and don't see any major flaws so either of two things have happened, Either this site has just gone live within the past few days, or it has bigger problems. I see you are redirecting from www.bedandbreakfastbrowser.com but only the home page. The other pages give me an "under modification message". example: http://www.bedandbreakfastbrowser.com/cities-all/2-347-110/ontario.html
You want to get the redirects from all the other pages working before Google drops them all for being non-existent (You never want to lose history) It is the one thing you can't regain quickly or purchase. Once its gone, its gone.

We just redid our NM State Association site. I suggest you check it out for listings. There are many more B&B's that are not in the association and you need to find them too, but that will be a little harder and require some work on your part. They are worth finding. Also - you may want to rethink the way you separate the state into regions. As a very sparsley populated state you really can get away with North, Central and South. There is no way Taos is in the Northeast part of the state.
Many Inns I have never heard of. We have fifty in our association and you are missing almost all of them. We have had 50 or more members for over 10 years.
As far as Albuquerque goes, there is only one inn listed, (there are over 25 including non association members), and that inn, Devonshire Adobe Inn, sold three years ago and became a law office. I will get the ball rolling and add my inn, if you get the closed one off of there. You must understand that going live with such outdated info is a bad way to gain the respect of repeat users and innkeepers alike. I'm not trying to be mean here. I think the site is attractive and easy to use. I wish you luck with it, but NM is a hot destination right now...and lots of accurate info is very, very important. Too much is missing.
Good Luck!, and thanks for the Vegan Site info. Frankly, I think Vegans are the easiest people to feed, besides folks like me who will it practically anything.
I never found the spa picture. Damn.

Do you have plans for solving this issue?
bbbrowser.gif

Your site has only two indexed pages in google that are from nearly three months ago. Both are actually the same page. So you already have a canonical issue (shouldn't be showing the www and non-www version) . Your rewrite will solve that. I see that many of your listings have listing dates that go back to 2006 and you have said that some of your data is several years old. That should have been more than long enough to build some history and some toolbarPR as well. I am guessing that was all on the old domain at www.bedandbeakfastbrowser.com
I've looked at the design and don't see any major flaws so either of two things have happened, Either this site has just gone live within the past few days, or it has bigger problems. I see you are redirecting from www.bedandbreakfastbrowser.com but only the home page. The other pages give me an "under modification message". example: http://www.bedandbreakfastbrowser.com/cities-all/2-347-110/ontario.html
You want to get the redirects from all the other pages working before Google drops them all for being non-existent (You never want to lose history) It is the one thing you can't regain quickly or purchase. Once its gone, its gone..
Yep, www.bedandbreakfastbrowser.com is the old domain, going back about four years. Its pages 301 redirect to www.bbbrowser.com as you can see here http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=site%3Awww.bedandbreakfastbrowser.com. You caught the old site with a broken database which stopped the redirects. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. The two www.bbbrowser.com pages you see in Google are from before the site went online (hosting "no site configured" pages). It will all straighten out when Google picks up on the new site + the permanent redirects.

Hey... they have a B&B in Harrisonburg that closed 5 yrs ago ..Thats funny... .Mary in Bridgewater,Va..
I just saw where the same company that created it also created this site. Wonder where they got all the information from??? Culled from the Internet???? But..maybe this one could be helpful to some of your innkeepers out there.
catlady said:
Wow. The amount of anger coming from you is disturbing. Maybe you should take several deep breaths before you post.
NOt anger..just impatience with people who want us to do their work for them!

We just redid our NM State Association site. I suggest you check it out for listings. There are many more B&B's that are not in the association and you need to find them too, but that will be a little harder and require some work on your part. They are worth finding. Also - you may want to rethink the way you separate the state into regions. As a very sparsley populated state you really can get away with North, Central and South. There is no way Taos is in the Northeast part of the state.
Many Inns I have never heard of. We have fifty in our association and you are missing almost all of them. We have had 50 or more members for over 10 years.
As far as Albuquerque goes, there is only one inn listed, (there are over 25 including non association members), and that inn, Devonshire Adobe Inn, sold three years ago and became a law office. I will get the ball rolling and add my inn, if you get the closed one off of there. You must understand that going live with such outdated info is a bad way to gain the respect of repeat users and innkeepers alike. I'm not trying to be mean here. I think the site is attractive and easy to use. I wish you luck with it, but NM is a hot destination right now...and lots of accurate info is very, very important. Too much is missing.
Good Luck!, and thanks for the Vegan Site info. Frankly, I think Vegans are the easiest people to feed, besides folks like me who will it practically anything.
I never found the spa picture. Damn..
aieechihuahua said:
Rolling with the punches is making me rounder and rounder.
Me too.

Vegans are not the easiest to feed, imo. Well let's put it this way - one night I can handle, if it were a week I would require they bring their own specialty foods. Which they are accustomed to anyway, right? I would not want to serve them slop since I am not trained in that arena. Your website is very helpful...so there is hope for me!
I don't even have a health food store nearby. Our grocery store in the health section has whey in every natural cereal.

Sorry you just made me hiccup - Vegan chorizo. If there ever were two opposing words in this universe that would it.
chef.gif

Have you considered being a vendor at any of the Innkeeping Conferences? PAII, BBAV, Midatlantic etc. I am thinking more of the Vegan cooking site than the other, but you have them both - so you could do both.

Your redesigned site looks great. Thank you for the list of B&B's. I am hoping that given enough time a large portion of B&Bs will find and add themselves to our site. If that doesn't end up going well I may need to carve out some time to add more myself (although interestingly some innkeepers have been upset that we added their listing). By the end of the week we'll have 1,500 total verified B&Bs and that will be a niec start.
We'll get the "expired" B&Bs like Devonshire removed over the next week while we check each listings website to make sure they are still in business as B&Bs.
Regarding regions, this is really tough for us. Just in this thread I have been told that one sparsely populated state should increase to 9 regions and that another sparesely populated state should reduce to 3. We're going to have to stick with the middle ground unless what we have is blatently wrong in every way. I don't mean that what you say is not best (I agree fewer is better) and I may end up regretting not taking your advice right now. UPDATE: Just got word about an issue with Maine regions so looks like I really should reevaluate the regions maps. I'm saving notes such as yours and will edit the maps at a later time.
I'm glad you like the vegan site. I wouldn't have thought vegans would be the easiest to feed. We're pretty picky. Maybe you are getting raw vegans. :p They are happy with raw nuts and bell peppers. Just give 'em a stick of celery and their tail wags! As for me, I like vegan quiche, vegan alfredo, vegan cream cheese, vegan eggs, vegan chorizo and all those other things you'd think wouldn't be possible without chickens, cows and pigs.
---------------------
Here's the spa icon. Isn't it a hoot? LOL
spa.png

It looked like a masseuse and a person in a massage chair when it was big. Small, it looks like... many things.
I have to admit that I am not sure how to represent spa services with so few pixels. Maybe I'll just make it say "SPA".

Your redesigned site looks great. Thank you for the list of B&B's. I am hoping that given enough time a large portion of B&Bs will find and add themselves to our site. If that doesn't end up going well I may need to carve out some time to add more myself (although interestingly some innkeepers have been upset that we added their listing). By the end of the week we'll have 1,500 total verified B&Bs and that will be a niec start.
We'll get the "expired" B&Bs like Devonshire removed over the next week while we check each listings website to make sure they are still in business as B&Bs.
Regarding regions, this is really tough for us. Just in this thread I have been told that one sparsely populated state should increase to 9 regions and that another sparesely populated state should reduce to 3. We're going to have to stick with the middle ground unless what we have is blatently wrong in every way. I don't mean that what you say is not best (I agree fewer is better) and I may end up regretting not taking your advice right now. UPDATE: Just got word about an issue with Maine regions so looks like I really should reevaluate the regions maps. I'm saving notes such as yours and will edit the maps at a later time.
I'm glad you like the vegan site. I wouldn't have thought vegans would be the easiest to feed. We're pretty picky. Maybe you are getting raw vegans. :p They are happy with raw nuts and bell peppers. Just give 'em a stick of celery and their tail wags! As for me, I like vegan quiche, vegan alfredo, vegan cream cheese, vegan eggs, vegan chorizo and all those other things you'd think wouldn't be possible without chickens, cows and pigs.
---------------------
spa.png

It looked like a masseuse and a person in a massage chair when it was big. Small, it looks like... many things.
I have to admit that I am not sure how to represent spa services with so few pixels. Maybe I'll just make it say "SPA".
Gliebster said: "...(although interestingly some innkeepers have been upset that we added their listing)"
Well, most innkeepers (and other businesses who have worked hard to design a website and list with targeted directories with proven results) would be upset about finding their property on a site with lots of outdated or incorrect information. The longer we are in business, I find that we are showing up on all kinds of sites and we didn't necessarily WANT to be there. For instance, sites where the lodging properties primarily host large events or sites touting big discounts that we aren't signed up to offer.

---------------------
spa.png

Gliebster said: "...(although interestingly some innkeepers have been upset that we added their listing)"
Well, most innkeepers (and other businesses who have worked hard to design a website and list with targeted directories with proven results) would be upset about finding their property on a site with lots of outdated or incorrect information. The longer we are in business, I find that we are showing up on all kinds of sites and we didn't necessarily WANT to be there. For instance, sites where the lodging properties primarily host large events or sites touting big discounts that we aren't signed up to offer.
Good point, I was thinking "who wouldn't want free promotion" but I was wrong. Makes me realize all the more that I need to build this site's data from ground up with innkeepers adding their own listings. Credibility with innkeepers is as important as usefulness for inngoers.

Sorry you just made me hiccup - Vegan chorizo. If there ever were two opposing words in this universe that would it.
chef.gif

Have you considered being a vendor at any of the Innkeeping Conferences? PAII, BBAV, Midatlantic etc. I am thinking more of the Vegan cooking site than the other, but you have them both - so you could do both..
Joe Bloggs said:
chef.gif
Look at this (Melissa's Soyrizo): http://www.melissas.com/Products/Products/Soyrizo.aspx
There's probably nothing better in my opinion than soyrizo and avocado inside of a crispy white flour tortilla. Probably has 100 grams of fat but at least it's cholesterol free. :p
Have you considered being a vendor at any of the Innkeeping Conferences? PAII, BBAV, Midatlantic etc. I am thinking more of the Vegan cooking site than the other, but you have them both - so you could do both.
Nope, just getting started in the B&B industry as can be seen. I'd probably have a panic attack anyway.

---------------------
spa.png

Good point, I was thinking "who wouldn't want free promotion" but I was wrong. Makes me realize all the more that I need to build this site's data from ground up with innkeepers adding their own listings. Credibility with innkeepers is as important as usefulness for inngoers.
gliebster said:
You have no idea how many website grab a copy of the info and photo from our websites and then show NO AVAILABILITY and crappy images on their directory. It happens all the time and infuriates us. Your directory is QUALITY, so most of us are not ticked. But some may be, when info is lifted without permission. Mine wasn't, I added it myself. So I am a happy camper.

chef.gif

Have you considered being a vendor at any of the Innkeeping Conferences? PAII, BBAV, Midatlantic etc. I am thinking more of the Vegan cooking site than the other, but you have them both - so you could do both..
Joe Bloggs said:
chef.gif
Look at this (Melissa's Soyrizo): http://www.melissas.com/Products/Products/Soyrizo.aspx
There's probably nothing better in my opinion than soyrizo and avocado inside of a crispy white flour tortilla. Probably has 100 grams of fat but at least it's cholesterol free. :p
Nope, just getting started in the B&B industry as can be seen. I'd probably have a panic attack anyway.
gliebster said:
Joe Bloggs said:
chef.gif
I will try it, as I am not vegan, and I like chorizo, but IF I think about it I start gagging. Thanks for that.
Wait I have a question - would you eat this for breakfast? As typically we ate chorizo in eggs for breakfast, with avo and salsa. Would you have your version as a breakfast meal?
PS Can you add your resource website on its own new thread under resources here as I am really sidetracking, sorry.

chef.gif

Joe Bloggs said:
chef.gif
gliebster said:
Joe Bloggs said:
chef.gif
I will try it, as I am not vegan, and I like chorizo, but IF I think about it I start gagging. Thanks for that.
Wait I have a question - would you eat this for breakfast? As typically we ate chorizo in eggs for breakfast, with avo and salsa. Would you have your version as a breakfast meal?
PS Can you add your resource website on its own new thread under resources here as I am really sidetracking, sorry.
I haven't tried the soyrizo, but I would probably scramble it up with some tofu, then add avocado and roll it up in a tortilla as a breakfast burrito.

I just spent over an hour honing my entry. I clicked to get the lattitude/longitude and had to OK pop-ups AND LOST EVERYTHING!!!
Forget it! At least for now. I do not remember what I said and how I said it! Grrrr!!!!! At least warn that it is going to go bye-bye.

aieechihuahua said:
Me too.
gliebster said:
aieechihuahua said:
Me too.
It's eating all the breakfast leftovers that's rounding me out!
smiley-ashamed005.gif

I just spent over an hour honing my entry. I clicked to get the lattitude/longitude and had to OK pop-ups AND LOST EVERYTHING!!!
Forget it! At least for now. I do not remember what I said and how I said it! Grrrr!!!!! At least warn that it is going to go bye-bye..
gillumhouse said:
Forget it! At least for now. I do not remember what I said and how I said it! Grrrr!!!!! At least warn that it is going to go bye-bye.
Same thing happened to me yesterday!!!! I clicked to update all the info after I had added my city, and it got stuck for hours in the shaded update screen. I spent at least 1/2 hour filling all the information in. I thought maybe it was just me, but now we know better!

Forget it! At least for now. I do not remember what I said and how I said it! Grrrr!!!!! At least warn that it is going to go bye-bye..
gillumhouse said:
Same thing happened to me yesterday!!!! I clicked to update all the info after I had added my city, and it got stuck for hours in the shaded update screen. I spent at least 1/2 hour filling all the information in. I thought maybe it was just me, but now we know better!
I added my city first and spent another half hour or more honing it down to the 800 characters as I tried to get it all in. I do have other things to do today and do not know when I will be able to get back to it. I tried....

Next time, write everything up in a word processing program then cut and paste.

Back