Bed Frames Revisited

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
I have found a local source that will make 2 sided mattresses that I am happy with. In talking with them, they mentioned that today the "box spring" doesn't really function for much more than a spacer. I am not happy with the metal frames I got when I last replaced some mattresses...too light weight...and they were bought from a hotel/motel supplier, supposed to be commercial heavy duty.
I am wondering if using a "platform" type metal frame that sits 14" above the floor will work just as well. Would save me a box spring, and are heavy weight rated. I am planning using foam toppers on the mattresses that I can change as needed (love the memory foam one we got for our own bed.) Anyone done something similar?

I operate my business on a yacht and in all the years she's floated (34 years now), there have never been bed frames or box springs. The mattresses lay on a built in teak frame (like cabinetry) with 3/4" marine plywood for the "decking". I have found no difference in the longevity or comfort of the mattresses in this kind of set up. And I have a lot of storage under these beds - one place stores my personal contents and dive equipment, a water tank under another, an exhaust tube under another, air conditioning units under another bed, etc. Storage comes at a premium! I am just now getting ready to start looking at replacing mattresses. Two of my least used rooms are still the original mattresses and still comfortable. In fact, it's hard to get people up out of one of those rooms because it so dang comfy. I'd like to sleep in there myself! It's the crew room mattresses that I've worn out and will replace first. Well...we got 34 years out of them. They are all custom, so it won't be cheap.

We have a few box springs, I'm particular about the frame having the cross piece. But the government here allows us to skip the box spring if we have the mattress on wood slats, like the beds used by the store that sells Chinese goods with fancy Swedish names.

I operate my business on a yacht and in all the years she's floated (34 years now), there have never been bed frames or box springs. The mattresses lay on a built in teak frame (like cabinetry) with 3/4" marine plywood for the "decking". I have found no difference in the longevity or comfort of the mattresses in this kind of set up. And I have a lot of storage under these beds - one place stores my personal contents and dive equipment, a water tank under another, an exhaust tube under another, air conditioning units under another bed, etc. Storage comes at a premium! I am just now getting ready to start looking at replacing mattresses. Two of my least used rooms are still the original mattresses and still comfortable. In fact, it's hard to get people up out of one of those rooms because it so dang comfy. I'd like to sleep in there myself! It's the crew room mattresses that I've worn out and will replace first. Well...we got 34 years out of them. They are all custom, so it won't be cheap..
There are some very old beds in the lodge that have a metal frame of wire links and slats, almost like a big cot. The mattresses on these beds still look good and they are probably over 50 years old! (These are going to be museum rooms staged like the 20's and 30's with clothes we found in the attic). Got me thinking about how well supported the mattress was with a more "solid" support. I didn't think about yachts, but the effect would be similar....

Back