bed hopping! or who's been sleeping in my bed?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
i am steaming! can you see the steam coming out of my ears?!
wow.gif
angry_smile.gif

i have been working alone all week. so i know exactly what beds should have been slept in and which should not. 3 or 4 rooms have been occupied at various times throughout the week -- 2 rooms have been unoccupied the past four nites on the 2nd floor and the 2 on the third floor are 'closed' (and locked) to guests because it is already too cold to heat the 3rd floor bathroom.
i am flipping 4 rooms today and i went into one of the 2nd floor rooms that's been vacant just to dust and freshen and spot check since it's booked for tonite and ......... '' WHO HAS BEEN SLEEPING IN MY BED? " feeling like goldilocks and the 3 bears here.
someone has used the bed! it was straightened but not made - we all know how we make our beds up -- pillows not lined up correctly, etc. so i take the decorative pillows off the bed, pull back the comforter and the top sheet is all rumpled, pillow cases don't have that crisp look. i am thinking to myself, this can't be. could i have made up the bed this sloppy? then, boom, i see some tissues and a wrapper in the bed that indicates a couple have been here .... obvious use!
i strip the bed, bundle all the linens up and go into the bathroom ... obvious use to me, probably not to most people but -- you all know what i mean. i fold the tissue on the roll when i leave the cleaned or freshened bathroom to indicate it's been done. tissue not folded and hair in the sink. probably a quick use, but enough so i am going to clean it again.
what can my guests have been thinking?? was it one of my 'nice guests' who wrote such sweet things in my guestbook snickering as they left?
i am mad and i am also hurt. did they think it wouldn't matter? did they do this to be mean or because they really thought no one would notice? they got a kick out of using another bed?
i have no idea when this happened. some time in the middle of the nite over the past 3 or 4 days. like a game of clue --- twelve suspect couples. it might be fun to try and figure out if i wasn't so mad.
now i have five rooms to flip instead of four. yes, we've talked about locking the guest rooms that are not in use. it's been so much quieter here, no tourists wandering in, i haven't been locking the unoccupied rooms. hard lesson to learn!!!
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. i need a gif with big biting bear teeth!!!

Are the doors generally closed, even if not locked? THAT takes a lot of nerve, to go testing doors. What the bed-hoppers don't realize is that room could be booked by a late arrival. Surprise.
I know exactly how you feel...violated. It's like coming home and realizing someone has walked thru your house. We've had that happen twice here. One remade the bed, the other just told me she slept in the room. The one who remade the bed smoked in the room and there was makeup all over the sheets. Good thing, like you said, we know what the bed SHOULD look like.

Are you sure it was just not made up from the last time it was used? It all blends into one after a while. If it was locked when you found it, the same way you leave it locked?
Sorry I got confused. So the third floor is locked but the secodn floor is CLOSED, not locked.
Looks like you will be joining the LOCK ALL THE ROOMS club. WELCOME!
For those who say they want to leave them open for guests to peak into for next time, let them GET YOU TO SHOW THEM THE ROOMS.

Are you sure it was just not made up from the last time it was used? It all blends into one after a while. If it was locked when you found it, the same way you leave it locked?
Sorry I got confused. So the third floor is locked but the secodn floor is CLOSED, not locked.
For those who say they want to leave them open for guests to peak into for next time, let them GET YOU TO SHOW THEM THE ROOMS..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I think what she's saying about the locked doors are the ones on the third floor are locked, the ones she's not using at the moment. The second floor doors are unlocked. That's why I was wondering if they are closed.
We had guests check-in yesterday (2 rooms) and just leave their doors wide open when they went out for dinner. Anyone could have walked in. For guests to go around trying the doorknobs, tho, that takes chutzpah. Probably the thrill of maybe being caught?

For those who say they want to leave them open for guests to peak into for next time, let them GET YOU TO SHOW THEM THE ROOMS..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I think what she's saying about the locked doors are the ones on the third floor are locked, the ones she's not using at the moment. The second floor doors are unlocked. That's why I was wondering if they are closed.
We had guests check-in yesterday (2 rooms) and just leave their doors wide open when they went out for dinner. Anyone could have walked in. For guests to go around trying the doorknobs, tho, that takes chutzpah. Probably the thrill of maybe being caught?
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Here is a totally off the wall comment from me:
What if all the doors were left WIDE OPEN I bet there would be less hanky panky going on. Altho we shut them for dirt, dust and crap guests would bring it, I know, I know.

Don't you lock the doors of the guest rooms that are NOT being used??? I certainly would.
Maybe someone wasn't feeling well and said.. OH I will just go find another room to sleep in. or maybe a wife kicked out a snoring husband???? Could be all sorts of reasons. But I like you would feel very upset and violated. They only paid for one room and they took advantage of you by doing this. Unfortunately there is probably no way..other than DNA testing...that you might learn who did it:-(
So lesson learned....if rooms are not being used..they should be kept locked.

Wonder who would have been more shocked if you had walked in on them with late arrival guests.
angry_smile.gif
Innkeeper,
whattha.gif
invasive guests, late arrivals...

Don't you lock the doors of the guest rooms that are NOT being used??? I certainly would.
Maybe someone wasn't feeling well and said.. OH I will just go find another room to sleep in. or maybe a wife kicked out a snoring husband???? Could be all sorts of reasons. But I like you would feel very upset and violated. They only paid for one room and they took advantage of you by doing this. Unfortunately there is probably no way..other than DNA testing...that you might learn who did it:-(
So lesson learned....if rooms are not being used..they should be kept locked..
catlady said:
So lesson learned....if rooms are not being used..they should be kept locked.
I like that idea. Tell Swirt to add that to his innkeeper bag of tricks, a DNA kit. LOL!
Looking back - I think the new innkeepers are freaking out about now - anyway, looking back we had a man showering in another guest room. Why? Because his wife was in their bathroom.
Also, using the toilet for the detached even tho the sign says PRIVATE on the door. This goes on WAY more than I care to think. Again, hand towel used, Tp not folded over, not to mention TOILET SEAT UP! THE MISERABLE MONGRELS!
I can ask guests to lock that door and close it, but they don't always do it.
Then the couple here on their honeymoon from AK (airforce) who used every bed. TOP. It was so obvious, I thought I heard them jus PEEK into the other rooms. NOPE, used the beds, when I went in and every room was crumpled, I mean it was so obvious. I was fuming like SS is right now. Rude people. How could they sit there and talk to me after that!!!
LOCK EM UP PEOPLE LOCK EM UP!

obvious adult use (the wrapper in the bed means a couple was there, if you know what i mean) ...
cat lady, i close the rooms not in use ... have been locking them all summer ... but i got lax ... and have left them unlocked ... 3 or 4 rooms being used feels so different to me, so much more friendly (or something) than 8 rooms being used, and no one coming in and wondering in and out of rooms. i ALWAYS lock the first floor guest room and i tell guests about someone coming and using the bathroom in that guest room this summer (what a nerve!)
things can 'blend together' as you say, but i know i cleaned that room because i had to change out the comforter and decorative pillows that match the dust ruffle and send the set that was on the bed to the cleaners because of soil ... i decided to send the ruffle at the same time, so i had to have taken apart the bed to get the dust ruffle out from between the mattress and box spring. also, this is the room i showed to those guests who were walk ins and said it was too cold in that room and left. hmmmm ... narrowing down the possible nites and suspects, the bed looked as it should then.
okay ... i should have locked the doors, same as before. i guess it serves me right tho i hate to say that.
back to work for me or these rooms won't be ready by 3. waaaaaaahhhhh.
cry_smile.gif
i am still venting ........... can't i trust my guests? i guess not. sad.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
What if all the doors were left WIDE OPEN I bet there would be less hanky panky going on. Altho we shut them for dirt, dust and crap guests would bring it, I know, I know.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
We tried that, remember? I've tried both methods- open door/closed door. Even locked door wouldn't help if I forget to bring the keys with me. All the guests see where the keys are when they check-in. And if they're gonna do it, they're gonna get the keys unless I take them 'home' with me.

I hate to say it, but I'm thinking it might not have been one of your guests! People can sneak in if a guest holds the front door open or doesn't shut it all the way... Maybe they were late walk-ins who meant to pay in the morning but didn't see you or changed their minds?
I'm so sorry this happened to you! How terrible, no matter who did it.

That sucks.
pita.gif

I'd be really pissed.
We have keypad locks on the guest doors, but I often forget to lock them, too.
So sorry....
=/
Kk.

That sucks.
pita.gif

I'd be really pissed.
So sorry....
=/
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
. . . We have keypad locks on the guest doors . . .
Do you change the combination between guests? Do you have a keypad lock on the front door, too? How often does that get changed? Just curious.

That sucks.
pita.gif

I'd be really pissed.
So sorry....
=/
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Do you change the combination between guests? Do you have a keypad lock on the front door, too? How often does that get changed? Just curious.
IronGate said:
YellowSocks said:
Therein lies the problem with the keypads...guests who actually commit the code to memory (unlike the ones who just stand there ringing the bell whenever they want to get in because they can't be bothered and hey you're there to do my bidding anyway aren't you).
It's getting time to change ours. We had to do that a few months ago because you could see which keys were getting hit the most frequently. Not the sequence, but it was a start if someone had the time.

yes, we keep our unoccupied guestrooms locked. too many people go in to take extra shampoos, bottled water, towels, use the potty, you know. i don't know whay soemone would feel they would have to sneak those things. we change towels often & always let people know if there is anything we can get for them, please do not hesitate to ask.

That sucks.
pita.gif

I'd be really pissed.
So sorry....
=/
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
IronGate said:
YellowSocks said:
Not usually.
Yes.
Not often enough.
The guest rooms actually have six codes on their doors. I have a master code that works on all the doors. Dh has a code. The boys have their own code that works on theirs and our doors, but not the guest room doors. The four remaining codes are for the guests, so I can tell them a different code each time, but the old ones would still work.
So far, none of the returning guests have remembered the code to the front door (and it's a disgustingly easy one) so I haven't bothered changing it, but I'm changing it this week for several reasons. For one, I'm way overdue, and also the ds4x2 know the code and are willing to tell it to anyone.
I've only had one time (in a year) where a guest returned two days later looking for a room that night and used the code instead of ringing. The next time he came (a couple of months later) he had forgotten the code (and knew to ring the bell).
It's marvelous for checkout... no keys to worry about returning. And it's great for when someone needs to "check in" over the phone... I can give them their codes and directions to their room and go to bed. People seem to love the system (once they get used to it) because they don't have to remember their keys or worry about coming in late.
It is interesting, though, seeing the different ways that people react. When I teach them the codes I usually have them actually press the button and try it out. Some are tentative, like it's a snake. Others are like, yeah, cool, got it.
=)
Kk.

Back