Bed review

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

April

Reaction score
You know right from the moment they enter -PITA!!!! - trouble.
Made reservation on line, agreed to our policy. Refused to pay on arrival - clearly marked on our website, on line booking form - to which they agreed by checking off the box and on the confirmation. DH came upset - no respect and he waited for them until almost midnight. No thank you for ruining our evening while waiting on her flower delivery.
Through the 4 days they stayed never said friendly hello in response to mine. Personally could not wait for them to leave - I was counting the days.
Well today - bad review- bed to hard, pillows terrible, maid left their doors open ( not likely!!!), did not get daily housekeeping ( did not book any - they had booking for self catering bedroom with weekly housekeeping - clearly marked on our website. Daily housekeeping available at extra cost.
An they had to finish with a LIE that they seen a rat on our porch - radiculous!!!
They will be on my DNB list in large letters.

Ouch. Sorry :(
Do you perhaps have a little card you can place in the room for these instances which state something like "As a reminder, your reservation includes weekly maid service. Should you desire more frequent service, the additional cost is $/day"
I know I know you could hit them over the head and they may STILL not "gettit" but it may help

Sorry to hear that. Keep your chin up, your other guests love what you offer, don't let these "rats" get to you!
pita.gif

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Once you calm down, write your MR and I'm sure you'll be able to phrase it in a polite way where it's obvious this guy's a jerk. Take my word for it, do your owner's response and it will not affect your business. I went through 2 of these this summer and it hasn't affected us at all. Encourage some of your wonderful guests to post a review and tell them why. I have found that when they find out about the bad review you're trying to deal with, the great guests will respond quickly to help you out. Once the bad review is pushed down, nobody pays attention to it.
Just remember, it will be ok and that idiot is out of your life forever!

Sorry about that. I especially hate when they tack on lies. Our last was Commie ants that never existed.
When you are calmer, sit down and write a Management Response (MR) and use it as a way of highlighting your services at the same time. For example, these guests chose the more economical self-catering option, which meant that they did not get daily housekeeping, but saved them money. We also offer a wonderful option of full housekeeping, for those who love to come back to a fresh and clean room.
We are sorry they did not like our pillows, we would have gladly replaced the pillows had they requested.
(In our case, we generally replace pillows each year. We keep several different size pillows, flat for back and tummy sleepers, full and firm for side sleepers. We don't use feather/down because of allergies. We even had pillows that are fuller filled but have more loft. And yes, we get these different requests from time to time.)
So use the MR to tell others all the things that you do and you care about.
As for the bed being to firm, simply acknowledge that it was too firm for them. That's a personal taste thing and some people like firm and others like soft.

Interesting they said the maids left their doors open AND they didn't get any housekeeping service.
We had a guest refuse to pay at check-in once and we said he was welcome to leave right then and there.

Sorry about that. I especially hate when they tack on lies. Our last was Commie ants that never existed.
When you are calmer, sit down and write a Management Response (MR) and use it as a way of highlighting your services at the same time. For example, these guests chose the more economical self-catering option, which meant that they did not get daily housekeeping, but saved them money. We also offer a wonderful option of full housekeeping, for those who love to come back to a fresh and clean room.
We are sorry they did not like our pillows, we would have gladly replaced the pillows had they requested.
(In our case, we generally replace pillows each year. We keep several different size pillows, flat for back and tummy sleepers, full and firm for side sleepers. We don't use feather/down because of allergies. We even had pillows that are fuller filled but have more loft. And yes, we get these different requests from time to time.)
So use the MR to tell others all the things that you do and you care about.
As for the bed being to firm, simply acknowledge that it was too firm for them. That's a personal taste thing and some people like firm and others like soft..
With your imaginary Commie ants and our fantom rat we should market our B&B's as Canadian invention - "bed and zoo"and charge extra for the entertaiment.

Interesting they said the maids left their doors open AND they didn't get any housekeeping service.
We had a guest refuse to pay at check-in once and we said he was welcome to leave right then and there..
Alibi Ike said:
We had a guest refuse to pay at check-in once and we said he was welcome to leave right then and there.
Amen.

Sounds like the "rats" left the ship! Sorry you had to deal with people like that. Thankfully, they are in the minority!

That is so horrible when you have people staying that you can't wait to get rid of. Not nearly as severe as your experience, but we have a particularly unfriendly and arrogant man staying at the moment and I can't wait to take his money off him and wave him goodbye in the morning.

Do you perhaps have a little card you can place in the room for these instances which state something like "As a reminder, your reservation includes weekly maid service. Should you desire more frequent service, the additional cost is $/day"
I know I know you could hit them over the head and they may STILL not "gettit" but it may help.
Slightly off the original topic, but we put a nice reminder card in each guest room stating when breakfast is served, what time check-out is, how to use the WiFi and how to reach us after hours.
These same things are told to them when they arrive.
So far this week 5 guests have told me in the morning they had no idea we had WiFi and it would have been nice to know that. Others have said they could not find the password. And yet others have said they didn't know when breakfast was over and they thought it started an hour after it actually does.
I am now revising my plans and handing the info to them with their receipt when they arrive.

I know I know you could hit them over the head and they may STILL not "gettit" but it may help.
Slightly off the original topic, but we put a nice reminder card in each guest room stating when breakfast is served, what time check-out is, how to use the WiFi and how to reach us after hours.
So far this week 5 guests have told me in the morning they had no idea we had WiFi and it would have been nice to know that. Others have said they could not find the password. And yet others have said they didn't know when breakfast was over and they thought it started an hour after it actually does.
I am now revising my plans and handing the info to them with their receipt when they arrive.
Madeleine said:
Good luck, people are zombies when they arrive. My guests are!

Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Here's hoping they'll remember they were handed something to read! VistaPrint seems like the perfect place to get what I need to do this. Maybe some sort of goofy postcard that they'll laugh about.

We post the wifi password along with a QR Code for Android phones. If they need it, they will ask. For breakfast, we make them chooose 8 to 8:30 or 9 to 9:30 and since we started that, we don't have half the problems we used to have... other than getting them the heck out by 8:55 so we can set up for the 9 AM people.
I gave up giving explanations when they arrive. They don't remember half of it. I wait for them to ask, instead.

Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Here's hoping they'll remember they were handed something to read! VistaPrint seems like the perfect place to get what I need to do this. Maybe some sort of goofy postcard that they'll laugh about.
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Okay so DH just got a voicemail (not sure why now, but that happens at times). Guests who arrived at 8pm last night had a self check in that stated "YOUR PRIVATE BATH IS ACROSS HALL, ROBES ARE IN YOUR ROOM"
and...the voicemail says at 10pm: "There are only TWO TOWELS AND TWO WASH CLOTHS IN THAT BATHROOM..." they are concerned since it is shared that there are not enough.
DOH!
You people think I make this stuff up!
PEOPLE DON'T READ. What the heck, I mean there were THREE LINES IN BLACK INK ON THAT NOTE, and they couldn't get it?
They booked it on line PRIVATE DETACHED BATH, PRIVATE BATH OUTSIDE YOUR ROOM IN HALL, PRIVATE PRIVATE PRIVATE. They booked it. What else can you do? Nothing. Do nothing, let people be STUPID. Not your worry.

Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Okay so DH just got a voicemail (not sure why now, but that happens at times). Guests who arrived at 8pm last night had a self check in that stated "YOUR PRIVATE BATH IS ACROSS HALL, ROBES ARE IN YOUR ROOM"
and...the voicemail says at 10pm: "There are only TWO TOWELS AND TWO WASH CLOTHS IN THAT BATHROOM..." they are concerned since it is shared that there are not enough.
DOH!
You people think I make this stuff up!
PEOPLE DON'T READ. What the heck, I mean there were THREE LINES IN BLACK INK ON THAT NOTE, and they couldn't get it?
They booked it on line PRIVATE DETACHED BATH, PRIVATE BATH OUTSIDE YOUR ROOM IN HALL, PRIVATE PRIVATE PRIVATE. They booked it. What else can you do? Nothing. Do nothing, let people be STUPID. Not your worry.
It can't be private if it is in the hall, right?
Close the door, lock it, it is private.
Maybe they wanted more towels?

People can't see either! Had a couple check in, bring them in their room. There are 2 other doors in the room, one closed (closet) one open (bathroom) and she asks "Do we have a private bathroom?" I nod and point to the open door...
I do not get this, this is the 2-3rd time for that room in the last few weeks.

People can't see either! Had a couple check in, bring them in their room. There are 2 other doors in the room, one closed (closet) one open (bathroom) and she asks "Do we have a private bathroom?" I nod and point to the open door...
I do not get this, this is the 2-3rd time for that room in the last few weeks..
copperhead said:
I do not get this, this is the 2-3rd time for that room in the last few weeks.
If you were my husband you would say "Oh didn't we show you that little building out back?" He loves that question!
or
"Is there a bathroom?" they say staring at two closed doors. "Oh you wanted the room WITH the bathroom!" he will reply.

I do not get this, this is the 2-3rd time for that room in the last few weeks..
I never understand why they don't just open the door and have a look. Our bathroom doors all have a cute brass cutout of a bathtub. It's kind of obvious. But, they're tired, I know.

Back