Bed scarf

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not trying to be negative, but I just mentioned to an innmate how much I dislike the slippery-slidey skinny polyester-looking ones that all the hotels use now - they slide off the bed as soon as you touch them, they're not wide enough for many suitcases and they are completely non-functional. If you want to have the look, maybe consider using pretty throws that can be used to throw across your lap or feet for warmth. I have a small lightweight throw in most of my rooms, and I have the quilts folded at the bottom of the bed to break up the solid color of the coverlets. Maybe something along these lines would work - solid color throws - or for a more traditional B&B look - quilted throws..
muirford said:
Not trying to be negative...
That's not being negative, that's helping! Thanks!
Arkansawyer said:
muirford said:
Not trying to be negative...
That's not being negative, that's helping! Thanks!
If I were starting from scratch and I wanted the white look, this is what I would do (everything on the bed is machine washable):
  • Triple sheet the beds with a cotton blanket (summer) or hypoallergenic down blanket (winter) in between the sheets and a king size sheet on top. For an extra classy look I'd have the king sheets monogrammed with the Inn name or initials so that you would have the monogram near the top of the bed when folded down.
  • A cotton quilt or throw across the bottom of the bed.
  • Four pillows (two feather, two fiber) at the top of the bed.
  • A down duvet in storage (under bed or in closet or armoire) for people who want the extra warmth. Launder the duvet cover when it's used.
That's my dream bed. Maybe next year, if we buy another king bed.
Have you been reading my mind. I am in the more serious part of planning, as in costs for each room of the potential property. That is my exact plan with one exception....surprising since I am a quilter...no quilt but instead a hand loomed throw. Hand made by ME!

Arkie, burlap used as a textile is actually kind of trendy right now..
regular_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
domestique said:
regular_smile.gif
And it can be embroidered!
Madeleine said:
domestique said:
regular_smile.gif
If you are going for the completely decorative, non-functional bed scarf - I think the burlap idea would be perfect and fun!

regular_smile.gif
domestique said:
regular_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
domestique said:
regular_smile.gif
If you are going for the completely decorative, non-functional bed scarf - I think the burlap idea would be perfect and fun!
muirford said:
Madeleine said:
domestique said:
regular_smile.gif
You can also stamp or paint it--easy to monogram.

regular_smile.gif
domestique said:
regular_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
domestique said:
regular_smile.gif
muirford said:
Madeleine said:
domestique said:
regular_smile.gif
domestique said:
muirford said:
Madeleine said:
domestique said:
regular_smile.gif
I'm pretty much in love with this idea. It's not a far stretch from a burlap table runner to a burlap bed scarf.

regular_smile.gif
domestique said:
regular_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
domestique said:
regular_smile.gif
muirford said:
Madeleine said:
domestique said:
regular_smile.gif
domestique said:
muirford said:
Madeleine said:
domestique said:
regular_smile.gif
I'm pretty much in love with this idea. It's not a far stretch from a burlap table runner to a burlap bed scarf.
muirford said:
domestique said:
muirford said:
Madeleine said:
domestique said:
regular_smile.gif
and of course for those cold winter nights, you can have microwavable burlap rice or bean packs for neck or sore joints.
wink_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
domestique said:
regular_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
domestique said:
regular_smile.gif
muirford said:
Dare me? I may just do it! Since I'm wanting something to pitch the luggage on that won't show dirt easily, a double layer of of tough, durable burlap may be the most functional thing I could use.
Trouble is, I'll have to find somebody to make the things. But for now I only need four, so do-able.

Arks, take a look at this veyr upscale lodge in VA. It is hunting, golf, quads, etc beside being totally environmentally friendly, they even use solar heating for all laundry. Long long story, but amazing place. The rooms are masculine yet classy. Take a peek (second image on header shows a brown coverlet over the mostly white linens) and a chest at the foot of the bed.
http://primland.com/accommodations/.
Nice place but out of my price range :-(

Arks, take a look at this veyr upscale lodge in VA. It is hunting, golf, quads, etc beside being totally environmentally friendly, they even use solar heating for all laundry. Long long story, but amazing place. The rooms are masculine yet classy. Take a peek (second image on header shows a brown coverlet over the mostly white linens) and a chest at the foot of the bed.
http://primland.com/accommodations/.
catlady said:
Yeah, I thought the same! Sure makes me want to stay there, though. Definitely a niche market!

regular_smile.gif
domestique said:
regular_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
domestique said:
regular_smile.gif
muirford said:
Dare me? I may just do it! Since I'm wanting something to pitch the luggage on that won't show dirt easily, a double layer of of tough, durable burlap may be the most functional thing I could use.
Trouble is, I'll have to find somebody to make the things. But for now I only need four, so do-able.
Arkansawyer said:
They would be very easy to make - straight seams, flip them right-side out and sew one short edge. I found burlap wired ribbon at our ribbon outlet here and used it for adding burlap bows to a table for a rustic look. I like it!

Tons of throw pillows at Home Goods now are burlap.
Madeleine said:
Tons of throw pillows at Home Goods now are burlap.
Hmmm. I think we're building a nice theme here. You know how some people sleep on the throw pillows rather than removing them at bedtime. With burlap throw pillows and blankets, they're coarse enough that, maybe, people wouldn't actually sleep with them! Another problem solved!

regular_smile.gif
domestique said:
regular_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
domestique said:
regular_smile.gif
muirford said:
Email me I will give you a great tutorial on working with burlap. With over ummm.... well....let's just say a lot of (can't count that high anymore ;-)) years as a fiber artist working with everything from leather to lace and a lot of interesting fabrics in between (no doilies) I would be happy to help you out.

I also think if you have a bench at the foot of the bed like the photo has that you put up there may be a chance that a lot of people will open the dirty suitcase on the bench instead of the bed.
RIki

Arks, I think if you're building on a theme of comfortable but more "folksy" rooms, this burlap thing is on a roll. If you add some leather or leather-like furnishings to the rooms, you've got it! Depends on what kind of "look" you've decided on for your rooms.
Totally agree that some kind of bench, trunk, couple of cube ottomans, or similar furnishing will encourage folks to use that vs throwing their bags up on the bed.
Don't forget to have at least 2 luggage racks per room also. I found that our guests did use them.
The upside of having all white linens is that stains are readily apparent. I personally like the look and feel of crisp white cotton bedding, both as a guest & as an innkeeper.

Arks, I think if you're building on a theme of comfortable but more "folksy" rooms, this burlap thing is on a roll. If you add some leather or leather-like furnishings to the rooms, you've got it! Depends on what kind of "look" you've decided on for your rooms.
Totally agree that some kind of bench, trunk, couple of cube ottomans, or similar furnishing will encourage folks to use that vs throwing their bags up on the bed.
Don't forget to have at least 2 luggage racks per room also. I found that our guests did use them.
The upside of having all white linens is that stains are readily apparent. I personally like the look and feel of crisp white cotton bedding, both as a guest & as an innkeeper..
Samster said:
In keeping with the burlap theme, I was thinking of using barbed wire (or as some here say, bob wire) to block them from throwing their bags on the bed. If I lived a little farther south, I'd use an alligator.

The upside of having all white linens is that stains are readily apparent. I personally like the look and feel of crisp white cotton bedding, both as a guest & as an innkeeper..
Samster said:
In keeping with the burlap theme, I was thinking of using barbed wire (or as some here say, bob wire) to block them from throwing their bags on the bed. If I lived a little farther south, I'd use an alligator.
Arkansawyer said:
Samster said:
Instead of the bench, have hay bales. The square ones, not the round ones- too big.

Back