Bed scarf

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
What I know: luggage is generally filthy when it comes out of an airplane, and people are going to throw the dirt bag on the end of the bed as soon as they get in the room, regardless of how many luggage racks I offer. Since I want to use an all-white duvet setup (like below, the Westin "Heavenly Bed"), this is of great concern.
This being the case, I'm wondering if anybody has a recommendation on a bed scarf that holds up well under such circumstances and is machine washable. (If you don't know what a bed scarf is, see the 2nd photo.)
HeavenlyBed.jpg

single.jpg

we bought ours for about $14 from ebay have lasted 2 years no problem however I do take them off on the morning after ie if staying several days as they have the sheets dirty by then!

Somewhere in an old thread around here there was a discussion of some sort of cover you can put on the bed. But still don't think guests will abide by using it. Even a little scarf at the end of the bed isn't going to protect an all white set up. Personally I think you are just asking for trouble with all white unless you plan to launder everything after each stay

I remember a few years ago we took a cruise and when we first arrived in our room there was a leather (or synthetic leather) scarf across the end of the bed, with the word "Luggage" printed across it.
By late in the first evening the staff had turned down the bed and the scarf disappeared. It reappeared the final evening of the cruise, when it was time to pack up.
I didn't care for the look of the material, but it made the point clearly enough and I think most people probably used it for the intended purpose. Of course, on a week-long cruise I think most people DO unpack and put their stuff in the drawers, so it makes more sense for long-term stays.

I like the look. Even if the guests don't get it is there for them to hurl the dirty suitcase onto, it does break up the expanse of white. I can almost guarantee the guest will try to miss the scarf. As a backup plan, make sure you have lots of duvet covers.
You can buy them from Marriott, but that's a marked way up retail. Kohl's has them and if you have a SIL who is the shopping queen, you can probably get them for $5. (There are days my SIL has so many deal coupons Kohl's pays her to leave the store.)

Yes, I like the look too. I like the white, it just says "bed" to me, then the scarf gives that touch of needed color and pattern.
I do plan to have plenty of duvet covers and they'll be washed after each guest leaves. We'll see how it goes. Somehow, the white look has worked fine for Westin hotels for years. Borax? Oxiclean? Wish I knew their secret!

Yes, I like the look too. I like the white, it just says "bed" to me, then the scarf gives that touch of needed color and pattern.
I do plan to have plenty of duvet covers and they'll be washed after each guest leaves. We'll see how it goes. Somehow, the white look has worked fine for Westin hotels for years. Borax? Oxiclean? Wish I knew their secret!.
Arkansawyer said:
Borax? Oxiclean? Wish I knew their secret!
Ionizing washers. Commercial grade. Serfs.

Not trying to be negative, but I just mentioned to an innmate how much I dislike the slippery-slidey skinny polyester-looking ones that all the hotels use now - they slide off the bed as soon as you touch them, they're not wide enough for many suitcases and they are completely non-functional. If you want to have the look, maybe consider using pretty throws that can be used to throw across your lap or feet for warmth. I have a small lightweight throw in most of my rooms, and I have the quilts folded at the bottom of the bed to break up the solid color of the coverlets. Maybe something along these lines would work - solid color throws - or for a more traditional B&B look - quilted throws.

Not trying to be negative, but I just mentioned to an innmate how much I dislike the slippery-slidey skinny polyester-looking ones that all the hotels use now - they slide off the bed as soon as you touch them, they're not wide enough for many suitcases and they are completely non-functional. If you want to have the look, maybe consider using pretty throws that can be used to throw across your lap or feet for warmth. I have a small lightweight throw in most of my rooms, and I have the quilts folded at the bottom of the bed to break up the solid color of the coverlets. Maybe something along these lines would work - solid color throws - or for a more traditional B&B look - quilted throws..
Yes, I agree, A light quilt or throw would be good.

Not trying to be negative, but I just mentioned to an innmate how much I dislike the slippery-slidey skinny polyester-looking ones that all the hotels use now - they slide off the bed as soon as you touch them, they're not wide enough for many suitcases and they are completely non-functional. If you want to have the look, maybe consider using pretty throws that can be used to throw across your lap or feet for warmth. I have a small lightweight throw in most of my rooms, and I have the quilts folded at the bottom of the bed to break up the solid color of the coverlets. Maybe something along these lines would work - solid color throws - or for a more traditional B&B look - quilted throws..
muirford said:
Not trying to be negative...
That's not being negative, that's helping! Thanks!

If you could have seating at the foot of the bed like in the photo, that might deter it a bit. Then they would put it there :)

I have a bench at the foot of 2 of my beds. No room for one in the thrid room. And it IS where they put the suitcases - even with me bringing out the luggage rack.

Yes, I was thinking the same, that a bench at the end of the bed would be used for luggage and protect the bed...if there's room for one. We'll see. But I still like the scarf or throw just to give a little color.
Of course, in keeping with our location, I may need to pitch some burlap feed bags across the end of the bed ;-)

Ok here is my take on duvets-I HATE THEM- I abhor them. They are pretty and they look wonderful on the bed and they beckon you BUT
* They wrinkle as soon as the guest gets into bed
* They are a pain in the you know what to change and takes alot of time to do this-trust me on this!
* White shows every little thing and you have look at it intensly with wrinkles, discolorations etc.
* Changing them every single time a guest is there is VERY TIME CONSUMING that is if you have to turn the room quickly.
* If you are not sending your laundry out- they take alot of time and effort to iron and wash not to mention stain treatment. We have found that on average it takes 10-15 minutes to make sure that the ones we have on the bed are not wrinkled when we make the bed or to fluff the room. This is done with wrinkle release-which means you have to pull the coverlet (at least 10-15 minutes of not longer) but you cant use wrinkle release if you will have a quick turnaround cause it has to dry.
Personally I would NEVER put a white duvet or any kind of duvet a bed in a busy Bed and Breakfast spedcially if you will be doing your own laundry or your innkeepers will be on premises. Bedspreads are much easier to put on the bed and to wash-or even comforters or quilts will be much more efficient and can look just as nice.
We've worked with both bedspreads, comforters and quilts and then we came here and got to work with Duvets-OMG I TRULY HATE THEM!
unless the owner of this Inn bought the wrong ones...these are 100% cotton and i tell you what we spend more time making sure that the duvet is not wrinkled on a daily basis and inspecting them daily takes alot of our time. Also-stain treating a white duvet is a pain-if it doesnt come out you have to replace it.
Can you tell I hate then I would never spend $$ on a duvet unless maybe its a poly-cotton mix. If you really want them I would not have them be 100% cotton.

For evaluation, I've ordered a Woven Pinstripe Duvet Cover from Inn_Style. It's 55 cotton/45 poly blend. I agree that 100% cotton would be a headache!
I've also ordered the duvet insert and other stuff. Doing a trial run on my own bed to start the process of selecting what I'll use at the guesthouse. I'm already enjoying a set of Comphy sheets! Luxury!

Arks, take a look at this veyr upscale lodge in VA. It is hunting, golf, quads, etc beside being totally environmentally friendly, they even use solar heating for all laundry. Long long story, but amazing place. The rooms are masculine yet classy. Take a peek (second image on header shows a brown coverlet over the mostly white linens) and a chest at the foot of the bed.
http://primland.com/accommodations/

For evaluation, I've ordered a Woven Pinstripe Duvet Cover from Inn_Style. It's 55 cotton/45 poly blend. I agree that 100% cotton would be a headache!
I've also ordered the duvet insert and other stuff. Doing a trial run on my own bed to start the process of selecting what I'll use at the guesthouse. I'm already enjoying a set of Comphy sheets! Luxury!.
ok-thats great-my DH asking-laudering facility is it in the same building? How many are you laundering in one day? Most hotels have laundering lacility that can launder a large amount of linen. Don't know what the set up is as I've been MIA for a while-but if its a poly/cot blend its good, the white part would really deter me from getting it.

I've also ordered the duvet insert and other stuff. Doing a trial run on my own bed to start the process of selecting what I'll use at the guesthouse. I'm already enjoying a set of Comphy sheets! Luxury!.
ok-thats great-my DH asking-laudering facility is it in the same building? How many are you laundering in one day? Most hotels have laundering lacility that can launder a large amount of linen. Don't know what the set up is as I've been MIA for a while-but if its a poly/cot blend its good, the white part would really deter me from getting it.
Laundering in the same building. Max. 4 in one day.

muirford said:
Arkansawyer said:
muirford said:
If I were starting from scratch and I wanted the white look, this is what I would do (everything on the bed is machine washable):
  • Triple sheet the beds with a cotton blanket (summer) or hypoallergenic down blanket (winter) in between the sheets and a king size sheet on top. For an extra classy look I'd have the king sheets monogrammed with the Inn name or initials so that you would have the monogram near the top of the bed when folded down.
  • A cotton quilt or throw across the bottom of the bed.
  • Four pillows (two feather, two fiber) at the top of the bed.
  • A down duvet in storage (under bed or in closet or armoire) for people who want the extra warmth. Launder the duvet cover when it's used.
That's my dream bed. Maybe next year, if we buy another king bed.

Back