Bed size

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A double is 54x75 a queen is 60x80. On width that's a difference of 3 inches per person. Not a lot - unless the guests are oversized.
agoodman said:
A double is 54x75 a queen is 60x80. On width that's a difference of 3 inches per person. Not a lot - unless the guests are oversized
6 inches can make a huge difference and can mean the difference between a good night's sleep and a miserable one. We have only queen and king, and most folks really want the kings. I can't think of any friend or relative who sleeps on a double bed at home, with or without a partner. A double just doesn't cut it anymore.
Breakfast Diva said:
agoodman said:
A double is 54x75 a queen is 60x80. On width that's a difference of 3 inches per person. Not a lot - unless the guests are oversized
6 inches can make a huge difference and can mean the difference between a good night's sleep and a miserable one. We have only queen and king, and most folks really want the kings. I can't think of any friend or relative who sleeps on a double bed at home, with or without a partner. A double just doesn't cut it anymore.
We just got a queen bed for ourselves. After 20 years I think we deserve it! Yes, it seems like a tiny amount of extra room, but it is oceans of space!

Are you sure this is the only way the room will work? I thought that about my rooms also. Turns out, since I have the big rocking chair book nook in one room, it IS the only configuration and it will only take a double - the extra LENGTH is the killer for that room (fireplace in the way) for a queen. However, by trading the location of the dresser and the bed, I will be able to fit a queen in the other room that now has a double also. When I come back from my trip, I will be getting a queen for that room. I am still considering replacing the double in the other room with a queen-size sofa with pull-out bed and creating a door between the rooms plus a door from the room into the bathroom to make a 2-room suite. Still chewing on that one.
Bat it around a bit before deciding. Know this - I have 2 roomws with doubles and one with queen. the queen also has the pvt bath so it goes most. HOWEVER, the room that several guests consider MY ROOM s one wiht the double bed. That room is booked a lot because it is also one of the 2 less expensive rooms. I need to put a TV in the other one to see if that will make the difference in it being booked more.

As part of the AA and Visit Britain stuff in a room for 2 people you have to be able to get round both sides of the bed it is compulsary. The only change I am thinking of making is in our room 11 it is a Zip and Link 6 foot accross bed and a separate single bed but this makes it a bit tight. One time my mum took a booking for a twin when we only had doubles left so we had to swop that bed round with the other for a few days to make it work and it did make room 11 look a lot bigger. Plus I would like to change the single bed for a day bed so it looks like a sofa most of the time then I could take the two chairs out of that room which would also help with the space issue. The previous owners used to let it as a triple for adults thats why they set it up that way but since we did the basement it is now directly over our bedroom so I don't want loud noises just over my head or the cheap deal brigade.

As part of the AA and Visit Britain stuff in a room for 2 people you have to be able to get round both sides of the bed it is compulsary. The only change I am thinking of making is in our room 11 it is a Zip and Link 6 foot accross bed and a separate single bed but this makes it a bit tight. One time my mum took a booking for a twin when we only had doubles left so we had to swop that bed round with the other for a few days to make it work and it did make room 11 look a lot bigger. Plus I would like to change the single bed for a day bed so it looks like a sofa most of the time then I could take the two chairs out of that room which would also help with the space issue. The previous owners used to let it as a triple for adults thats why they set it up that way but since we did the basement it is now directly over our bedroom so I don't want loud noises just over my head or the cheap deal brigade.

We have a bed against the wall in the cabin. After making that bed last year, it is going out. WHAT A PAIN! Don't do it! Re-work it and go with a queen, or let it be a full size and don't worry about it. Try shoving a bed against the wall and making it for a week, that will help you decide. If you need a 60's vinyl padded headboard full size, I have a few to spare!
wink_smile.gif

We have a bed against the wall in the cabin. After making that bed last year, it is going out. WHAT A PAIN! Don't do it! Re-work it and go with a queen, or let it be a full size and don't worry about it. Try shoving a bed against the wall and making it for a week, that will help you decide. If you need a 60's vinyl padded headboard full size, I have a few to spare!
wink_smile.gif
I have 3 twin beds that are pushed up against a wall. I HATE them. They are easier to move than a queen bed but I HATE THEM.

wink_smile.gif
I have 3 twin beds that are pushed up against a wall. I HATE them. They are easier to move than a queen bed but I HATE THEM.
Alibi Ike said:
That may give you an indication as to how guests may react to them.

Okay Okay enough and thank you to those who convinced me to go with a queen no matter what, we are going to try to go with the queen, the majority won. I'm hoping somehow we won't have to push it against the wall.
My DH says a queen too but we will see. The room is not finished yet but I know a double would look better but we are going with a queen.
I'll post a picture (in a month) once it is complete and furnished and y'all can tell me if it looks too snug.
Though I must mention that my uncle (age 89) and his wife still sleep in the same 48" wide bed they got when they were first married 65 years ago. Bless their hearts!

wink_smile.gif
Alibi Ike said:
Proud Texan said:
Alibi Ike said:
Guests actually like them. They just have to mess them up, they don't have to make them.

Okay Okay enough and thank you to those who convinced me to go with a queen no matter what, we are going to try to go with the queen, the majority won. I'm hoping somehow we won't have to push it against the wall.
My DH says a queen too but we will see. The room is not finished yet but I know a double would look better but we are going with a queen.
I'll post a picture (in a month) once it is complete and furnished and y'all can tell me if it looks too snug.
Though I must mention that my uncle (age 89) and his wife still sleep in the same 48" wide bed they got when they were first married 65 years ago. Bless their hearts!.
Some beds will fit diagonal better, give it a shot. Wehave one bed that way and it works well. Not just for making the bed, but people getting in and out. Again, would have to see the layout.
Yes put a queen in there from another room - it will be worth the trouble to see it there and decide.

I have the answer to all these problems...
BUNK BEDS!
whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
BUNK BEDS!
whattha.gif
Why not a lift bed? http://www.liftbed.com/start_gb.html
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Joey Bloggs said:
BUNK BEDS!
whattha.gif
Why not a lift bed? http://www.liftbed.com/start_gb.html
But then where would I put my dirty suitcase?

I think it is a heckuvalot of work and dinero to not get the room you desire (as the owners/renovators) I would rethink it as much as possible to work it out so it is exactly worth the effort you put in.
I just would hate to have to explain all the time why something is a certain way..
That is an excellent point! It would be a pain in the patoot to explain why they didn't go ahead and put a Queen sized bed in there. People offer enough "advice" on how you should have done renovations without encouraging it!

Though I must mention that my uncle (age 89) and his wife still sleep in the same 48" wide bed they got when they were first married 65 years ago. Bless their hearts!.
I have some elderly friends that have the same kind of bed. Frankly, the other thing about having a larger bed (even if it's only inches larger) is that it gives you a bit more space from any Snorey McSnorersons!
I need a King size bed!!!

Plenty of old people are sleeping in the same matrimonal bed! They are not like us youngin's who move around and buy new stuff. If anything, the 75-90 age group are the full-bed crowd. Probably use the same sheets too.

Plenty of old people are sleeping in the same matrimonal bed! They are not like us youngin's who move around and buy new stuff. If anything, the 75-90 age group are the full-bed crowd. Probably use the same sheets too..
Well, that may be true of some but "my" old people friends have actually lived in many different places, including Europe. I do think that they like saying that they've slept in the same bed (maybe not the mattress...good grief!) for over 50 years.
heart.gif

Plenty of old people are sleeping in the same matrimonal bed! They are not like us youngin's who move around and buy new stuff. If anything, the 75-90 age group are the full-bed crowd. Probably use the same sheets too..
Well, that may be true of some but "my" old people friends have actually lived in many different places, including Europe. I do think that they like saying that they've slept in the same bed (maybe not the mattress...good grief!) for over 50 years.
heart.gif

Samster said:
heart.gif
Remember years ago when beds were handmade and actually very special. They mostly aren't this way now #1) people don't wait to consumate their marriage in their marriage bed, so there is nothing special about them, no reason to hold onto them. In the old days with the old ways the beds were passed on to next generations.
Oftentimes handmade by a relative or family member or made themselves. Now it is made in china junk, Beds-r-us or whatever those stores are called.
A bed was something celebratory, babies made and many times born in that bed. And as you said, 50 years
heart.gif
, that is very rare these days as well! Long gone is the stickwithitness and a vow meaning something.

heart.gif

Samster said:
heart.gif
Remember years ago when beds were handmade and actually very special. They mostly aren't this way now #1) people don't wait to consumate their marriage in their marriage bed, so there is nothing special about them, no reason to hold onto them. In the old days with the old ways the beds were passed on to next generations.
Oftentimes handmade by a relative or family member or made themselves. Now it is made in china junk, Beds-r-us or whatever those stores are called.
A bed was something celebratory, babies made and many times born in that bed. And as you said, 50 years
heart.gif
, that is very rare these days as well! Long gone is the stickwithitness and a vow meaning something.
I absolutely do remember that! I have 2 handmade double cherry beds (converted to Queens, but I have the bed rails) that have been in my family for almost 100 years now. They were handmade in Virginia!
regular_smile.gif

heart.gif

Samster said:
heart.gif
heart.gif
I absolutely do remember that! I have 2 handmade double cherry beds (converted to Queens, but I have the bed rails) that have been in my family for almost 100 years now. They were handmade in Virginia!
regular_smile.gif

Land of the hardwoods! Yeah!!
My Mother had her bed from her mother and from her mother, so it was her grandmothers, our great grandmothers, they brought it over from Norway. She gave it to my sister, who sold it at the swap meet and bought one from Ikea. Yep, nice aye.

Back