Bed size

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini

Reaction score
We are making a new room by combining a bathroom and a back staircase (which in the old days was a servants' staircase).
Still, the room will likely be our smallest and is virtually long and narrow but will have 3 windows, a deck off of it, a fireplace and ensuite.
We are debating whether to give this room a queen 60" bed or a double 54" bed.
The 54" bed will look much better in this room and the 60" will likely have to be pushed against the wall. The 54" would not have to be pushed against the wall.
Since all our other rooms have 60's beds, I am wondering which way to go. We also found a beautiful antique 54" brass head and footboard which would look great.
Still, we do not want to turn guests away because as we all know most do like a queen or king.
Thoughts on this please.

QUEEN! I won't even consider staying at a place with doubles. I would rather walk sideways around a queen bed than have a double, any day. Since your other rooms have the doubles, it would be interesting to see if this small room would rent more than the others if you put a queen in it.

If you were a couple and there were only one bed in the room, which bed would you prefer to sleep in?
Unfortunately, many Americans are larger than they should be, so it would be a rather uncomfortable night for some people.
I think a smaller be would be acceptable if you are only going to rent the rooms to singles.

Is there no other config that would allow for the queen bed? I won't book a room where the bed is pushed up against the wall. It's awkward for the person sleeping on the inside and disruptive for the person on the outside. Plus, the 'inside' person doesn't get a side table.
If you have to go with the double, play up the cozy atmosphere.
Because it's a new room you're going to see some traffic into it regardless of the bed size. If you get a fair number of singles that room would work.

QUEEN! I won't even consider staying at a place with doubles. I would rather walk sideways around a queen bed than have a double, any day. Since your other rooms have the doubles, it would be interesting to see if this small room would rent more than the others if you put a queen in it..
Breakfast Diva, I had written that all our rooms have queen 60" beds. This will be the only one with a double.

Agree nothing less than a QUEEN...unless you just use the room for singles and then a double might..work...I would never book a room for us with just a full bed. I would look elsewhere if all your other rooms were occupied..sorry.

I have one room with a full bed....it's the smallest and least costly room, by a little bit. Singles love it, and a surprisingly number of couples who are either on a budget or it's the last room available are perfectly content with it.
I agree with Alibi that you'd be better off using a smaller bed with two nightstands than pushing a Queen against the wall. Diva said she'd rather walk sideways around a Queen than take a Double and I would too, but I dont' think that was your option was it? I think the against-the-wall option is worse than a small bed.
The room sounds FABULOUS with deck and fireplace.... Seems your options are to lose some renters because it's not a Queen, and lose others because the Queen isn't workable because it's against the wall and doesn't have a nightstand. I'd get that fabulous brass bed and go with it.
IMHO.

we have 4 rooms with 6 foot accross beds, 4 with 5 foot 4 inch beds and one with 4 foot which we sell as a superior single as it gives you a bit more bed space (especially larger persons or if you are in for quite a few nights). Mind you most of our business is business people or conference people who are single occupancy anyway (probably 75% of our business is 1 person per room) Then on the weekends you get the pack them in family crowd or couples getting away. We do however try and get tall or larger people the larger beds but you can't ask people are you tall or fat and it usually ends up they are the last ones in. oh well.

QUEEN! I won't even consider staying at a place with doubles. I would rather walk sideways around a queen bed than have a double, any day. Since your other rooms have the doubles, it would be interesting to see if this small room would rent more than the others if you put a queen in it..
Breakfast Diva, I had written that all our rooms have queen 60" beds. This will be the only one with a double.
Oh oops! Sorry, I got it backwards!

You can BARELY even find double beds anymore! Go try to find one the only ones you will see are "YOUTH" beds, ie KIDS! That should say something.

If the rest are queens why mess up the whole linens thing!! QUEEN QUEEN QUEEN!

Personally I really don't find much difference between a queen and a double and I would rather be able to move around with more free space .. but apparently everyone else here thinks otherwise!!
And queen sheets work perfectly well on a double bed

We have three rooms with double bed (because the rooms are too small to accommodate a queen), and as they are priced less they are often the first filled. I would personally rather sleep in a smaller bed than be the one shoved up against the wall...this just doesn't work for us at all. Plus I am a reader and would hate not having a nightstand/lamp on my side.

We have three rooms with double bed (because the rooms are too small to accommodate a queen), and as they are priced less they are often the first filled. I would personally rather sleep in a smaller bed than be the one shoved up against the wall...this just doesn't work for us at all. Plus I am a reader and would hate not having a nightstand/lamp on my side..
Don Draper said:
We have three rooms with double bed (because the rooms are too small to accommodate a queen), and as they are priced less they are often the first filled. I would personally rather sleep in a smaller bed than be the one shoved up against the wall...this just doesn't work for us at all. Plus I am a reader and would hate not having a nightstand/lamp on my side.
What we would prefer and what we would PAY for I think is the real question. I certainly wouldn't want to have to make a bed pushed up against a wall...maybe the solution is TWO twins, then they can push them together if need be? Not sure if that would fit at all...again hard to say without seeing the room in person.

we have 4 rooms with 6 foot accross beds, 4 with 5 foot 4 inch beds and one with 4 foot which we sell as a superior single as it gives you a bit more bed space (especially larger persons or if you are in for quite a few nights). Mind you most of our business is business people or conference people who are single occupancy anyway (probably 75% of our business is 1 person per room) Then on the weekends you get the pack them in family crowd or couples getting away. We do however try and get tall or larger people the larger beds but you can't ask people are you tall or fat and it usually ends up they are the last ones in. oh well..
we have 4 rooms with 6 foot accross beds, 4 with 5 foot 4 inch beds and one with 4 foot which we sell as a superior single as it gives you a bit more bed space (especially larger persons or if you are in for quite a few nights). Mind you most of our business is business people or conference people who are single occupancy anyway (probably 75% of our business is 1 person per room) Then on the weekends you get the pack them in family crowd or couples getting away. We do however try and get tall or larger people the larger beds but you can't ask people are you tall or fat and it usually ends up they are the last ones in. oh well.
A bed that is 4 feet across is generally called a 3/4 bed around here (48 x 75"). You don't see very many of them anymore. And I would hate to try and find a fitted sheet for it. I think they call them Prince or 3/4 in the UK.
6 foot across bed is the equivalent to a North American King bed (76 x 80")
5 foot across bed is the equivalent to a North American Queen bed (60 x 80")
North American single beds are 9cm wider than European singles, which doesn't seem significant.... until you fall off of one in your sleep because your subconscious is so used to having that space there. :)

Queen - all your sheets are interchangeable then and it's really the smallest size bed that people expect these days . Many people, large or small, would really like a King size bed as their first choice.
Just the way it is....
I there any way to angle the bed in a corner of the room? I've seen that many times in smaller rooms.

I think it is a heckuvalot of work and dinero to not get the room you desire (as the owners/renovators) I would rethink it as much as possible to work it out so it is exactly worth the effort you put in.
I just would hate to have to explain all the time why something is a certain way.

Absolutely a queen! When you put a double/full size mattress out there for two people - look at the math. Divide the width of a double mattress and see how much one person has on their half. A baby's crib is wider than half that double/full mattress. I think of that example everytime I hear someone contemplating a double/full mattress.
The irony....I sleep in a bed that is nearly the size of a coffin since I live in the crew's quarters on a yacht (everything is a compromise and space comes at a premium and expense to something else). LOL And I have to share that small space with a cat who sleeps with me. So, who am I to talk...LOL...but I'd never set up a room for my guests like that.

A double is 54x75 a queen is 60x80. On width that's a difference of 3 inches per person. Not a lot - unless the guests are oversized

A double is 54x75 a queen is 60x80. On width that's a difference of 3 inches per person. Not a lot - unless the guests are oversized.
agoodman said:
A double is 54x75 a queen is 60x80. On width that's a difference of 3 inches per person. Not a lot - unless the guests are oversized
6 inches can make a huge difference and can mean the difference between a good night's sleep and a miserable one. We have only queen and king, and most folks really want the kings. I can't think of any friend or relative who sleeps on a double bed at home, with or without a partner. A double just doesn't cut it anymore.

Back