Bedandbreakfast.com announces award winners 2008-2009

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well good they picked it up. So does it get you any extra business???.
A couple of years ago I "landed with my bum in the butter" as they say when CNN did a piece using my Inn (the clip is on my rooms page). I was soo happy, can't buy that kind of publicity. Did it increase my business? I don't think so.
Had some people say "oh we saw the clip on your website" but I think they were already at the site, it wasn't the clip that brought them there.
So .......... damn I hope to get some more business, maybe then I can stop working my other jobs!!

Congrats. May it translate into many bookings. Awards impress but reservations pay the bills.

Congratulations! I never understood how these awards work? I know that people vote on them but are there ballots at individual B&Bs or what??
Just curious...

Congratulations! I never understood how these awards work? I know that people vote on them but are there ballots at individual B&Bs or what??
Just curious....
It's just based on the reviews posted by guests on their website. Guests can either do a review online or they can mail in a postcard. Oddly enough they do not allow people to post a review more than once a year (email address checked) - I found this out from one of my repeat guests who tried to post another review.

Just curious....
NO..those WERE the Arrington Awards. The BedandBreakfast.com ones I believe are just picked by BANDB.com based on number of reviews and what they are seeing in the reviews. Maybe sandy S. can shed some light on the selections.

Just curious....
It's just based on the reviews posted by guests on their website. Guests can either do a review online or they can mail in a postcard. Oddly enough they do not allow people to post a review more than once a year (email address checked) - I found this out from one of my repeat guests who tried to post another review.
agoodman1963 said:
Most of us have half dozen email addresses these days.

Just curious....
agoodman1963 said:
I know, (not sure if there was any implication of anyone posting a review more than once here ....? or any other suggestion of impropriery???) but I do not go into those details with my guests. If they want to use a different email addy and figure that out, well and good, or they can post a review on Trip Advisor or another site.

Just curious....
agoodman1963 said:
I know, (not sure if there was any implication of anyone posting a review more than once here ....? or any other suggestion of impropriery???) but I do not go into those details with my guests. If they want to use a different email addy and figure that out, well and good, or they can post a review on Trip Advisor or another site.
agoodman1963 said:
I think JohnB explained about not allowing more than one post per email, but I don't remember what his take on that was.

Just curious....
NO..those WERE the Arrington Awards. The BedandBreakfast.com ones I believe are just picked by BANDB.com based on number of reviews and what they are seeing in the reviews. Maybe sandy S. can shed some light on the selections.
Yes that's exactly how they work

Congratulations! In your mind, what do you do that sets you apart?

In my mind? (you mean the one that I am losing?? LOL).
I guess I am really lucky to have the International hotel experience that I have had, I also used to train res and sales depts on sales* and on systems so that helps too ..... but I really do try to out of my way for my guests. It's more a service thing than a "property" thing, my Inn is very ordinary, lots of stuff that needs doing. I think the fact that I am pet friendly helps, flex breakfast times, meals other than breakfast etc.
Ref the sales, on some occassions when I have thought I may be able to get away, I have called some Inns and without even disclosing that I am an Innkeeper, have been amazed at how cold / disinterested / rate centric they are. No effort to find out about needs ("our prices start at $ ..........." is about all the info I got).

Recently I had a guest needing 4 rooms for a funeral, I only had 2 avail, guests were on their way down already and I said I would make some calls and try to find other rooms for them. Called another Inn that I have sent people to in the past. Husband at the Inn said he had to check w/wife (guests were looking for rooms around $85 and their rooms around $90-$110, bear in mind this is a Sunday night and they are EMPTY.) I also offer to do all the breakfasts here.
He calls me back says he will take the rate for a min of 4 rooms. I explain again I will already be accommodating 2 rooms. I say I will provide guests with their tel number and they can talk directly. My guests arrive, drop their bags, straight out to funeral home, don't see them until breakfast.
That night I get a VM from the Inn "call us". Their phone is busy for the next hour. I send an email, sorry can't get through to you. Next morning I get a call from their Inn - what happened to our guests? I say what?? I told you I would give them your details and they woudl call you directly (I did not say (1) they probably could not get through and (2) if you were as rude to them as you were to me, they probably found somewhere else)
The Inn tells me "next time don't even call us, if you are full then just provide the guests with our tel number and we will deal with it"
YEAH RIGHT. LMAO. Last referral they get from me. Looking at their occupancy they are nearly empty every night. SURPRISE
devil_smile.gif

Recently I had a guest needing 4 rooms for a funeral, I only had 2 avail, guests were on their way down already and I said I would make some calls and try to find other rooms for them. Called another Inn that I have sent people to in the past. Husband at the Inn said he had to check w/wife (guests were looking for rooms around $85 and their rooms around $90-$110, bear in mind this is a Sunday night and they are EMPTY.) I also offer to do all the breakfasts here.
He calls me back says he will take the rate for a min of 4 rooms. I explain again I will already be accommodating 2 rooms. I say I will provide guests with their tel number and they can talk directly. My guests arrive, drop their bags, straight out to funeral home, don't see them until breakfast.
That night I get a VM from the Inn "call us". Their phone is busy for the next hour. I send an email, sorry can't get through to you. Next morning I get a call from their Inn - what happened to our guests? I say what?? I told you I would give them your details and they woudl call you directly (I did not say (1) they probably could not get through and (2) if you were as rude to them as you were to me, they probably found somewhere else)
The Inn tells me "next time don't even call us, if you are full then just provide the guests with our tel number and we will deal with it"
YEAH RIGHT. LMAO. Last referral they get from me. Looking at their occupancy they are nearly empty every night. SURPRISE
devil_smile.gif
agoodman1963 said:
devil_smile.gif
Year one I had guests looking for a place in an area an hour or so from here. I looked online and found a place that appeared to be nice. (It is in fact very upscale and a featured photo on many directories, printed material - very photgenic and B&B like) without disclosing the name.
The guests asked me to call and see if they had a room available. SURE! I am happy to be of help to our guests. When i called, I did the same as you, I introduced myself and then got an earlashing from this rude nasty old innkeeper. She told me "Don't tell ANYONE about our inn, let them call us themselves." It was very strange behavior and it was also a Sunday night. The room was very expensive and I was sending them business!!
I later found out they had the place on the market, it has since sold and it is AGAIN on the market. I was sure to tell the innkeeper I would do exactly as she asked and not tell ANYONE about their inn.
I remember calling my then B&B assoc prez (who is now a friend) and she told me that there are innkeepers that are very territorial. I just couldn't put it all together. It was mind boggling to me.

Back