BedandBreakfast.com Inks Deal with Priceline.com to Add Bed-and-Breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is that going to work??? Are all B&B.com guests going to show up? Are we going to start getting calls from Priceline customers wanting a "deal"?
This may result in me dropping them if that's the case. I can just hear the phone calls now.
RIki

Ummm I am a priceline customer and I don't think I am a "bad" guest. I am sure you have to sign up if you are going to offer a deal but other than that it's no different to a feed from bb to expedia / travelocity etc

How is that going to work??? Are all B&B.com guests going to show up? Are we going to start getting calls from Priceline customers wanting a "deal"?
This may result in me dropping them if that's the case. I can just hear the phone calls now.
RIki.
It sounds like you already have to have their 'book it' button to be included. If guests are searching on Priceline they won't see you unless you have the 'book it' button already.
It's more than likely a huge revenue stream to have guests booking thru bandb.com. Even if their take of it is only 5%.

Ummm I am a priceline customer and I don't think I am a "bad" guest. I am sure you have to sign up if you are going to offer a deal but other than that it's no different to a feed from bb to expedia / travelocity etc.
agoodman said:
Ummm I am a priceline customer and I don't think I am a "bad" guest. I am sure you have to sign up if you are going to offer a deal but other than that it's no different to a feed from bb to expedia / travelocity etc
Not a bad guest, a cheap guest. Riki doesn't do cheap.
Not sure what rules Priceline has about how discounted the rooms have to be, but it might be steep. There are absolutely wonderful stories out there about B&B's who sell rooms on the discounted websites and run 60% occ in the off season. They bring in a lot of traffic. You just have to know how to game the system to get the price you want after everyone else has taken their cut.

I am cheap because I am on a budget and can get a rental car for less or a hotel for less with them? Anyone who treats a priceline guest any differently from any other guest needs NOT put deals out there. But if anyone puts a deal out there and then treats the guest differently, shame on you

Ummm I am a priceline customer and I don't think I am a "bad" guest. I am sure you have to sign up if you are going to offer a deal but other than that it's no different to a feed from bb to expedia / travelocity etc.
agoodman said:
I did not say bad guest. From the priceline ads on tv i am getting the calls (always during busy times when we are booked) " I am coming to Charlottesville. What are you going to do for me." Great. There is not a room to be had in town and you want to waste my time arguing that I should change my rate.
I am not saying Priceline is bad. I am not saying that I would not use it myself (but I have heard horrible cases of only being put in smoking rooms, which I could not handle).
I am simply saying that they are not my demographic. I offer too much with the room to take any discounts. I offer free bottle of wine, free wine and cheese at check in, free port and chocolate turndown, and other things that other inns in my area charge extra for. I simply do not want to be exposed to Priceline. I don't have the time working outside the business 8-5 to handle inquiries that are asking for deep discounts. And they get mad when I tell them no which I do politely.
I was assuming they are talking about just the guests that have the "book it" button but the number of properties that they are saying will be added sure seems high to me. Are there that many using the "book it" feature?
RIki

I am cheap because I am on a budget and can get a rental car for less or a hotel for less with them? Anyone who treats a priceline guest any differently from any other guest needs NOT put deals out there. But if anyone puts a deal out there and then treats the guest differently, shame on you.
agoodman said:
I am cheap because I am on a budget and can get a rental car for less or a hotel for less with them? Anyone who treats a priceline guest any differently from any other guest needs NOT put deals out there. But if anyone puts a deal out there and then treats the guest differently, shame on you
I did not see anything to intimate a guest using a "deal" would be treated differntly than any other guest. The statements I saw were alluding to the experience that guests with a "deal" expect more while paying less. Many of the "deals" are under the impression that WE should be grateful to THEM for actually crossing our threshhold.

I am cheap because I am on a budget and can get a rental car for less or a hotel for less with them? Anyone who treats a priceline guest any differently from any other guest needs NOT put deals out there. But if anyone puts a deal out there and then treats the guest differently, shame on you.
agoodman said:
I am not saying someone is cheap. I am concerned that because I am on BedandBreakfast.com that they are going to expose all properties on Priceline, when I do not offer Priceline discounts. Why does nobody understand what I'm saying???
This article states that they will be giving Priceline guests opportunity to book luxury B&Bs. What if the luxury B&B cannot AFFORD to give these huge discounts they advertise on tv?
I have not ever seen B&B.com give the properties any thought in their operations before, so I am simply concerned that I'm going to be lumped into this group when I have NO DISCOUNTS TO GIVE which makes the caller ANGRY because as far as they can see, it's being advertised.
Just like the problem we all have in my town wtih people calling to book with their gift certificates. None of us accept them and that makes them mad as well, since it's not clear online who takes them.
Geeze people. I only have two rooms and can't afford this kind of discount. I just don't want to be exposed with those who can afford to give them.
RIki

RIki.
I checked with some others and they say it looks like only the inns with "book it" buttons will be included, so I'm happy. I won't be included.
RIki

First of all, let me say something
THIS IS A B&B FORUM FOR INNKEEPERS. When stuff of this nature is posted it is how it will affect INNKEEPERS, not the guest, they can get their news ELSEWHERE thank you very much.
This discussion IS and SHOULD BE by innkeepers. Those who participate in the gorilla directory, those who have, those experiences with it. LET THEM SHARE THEIR PERSPECTIVES. No one is out to get anyone, no one is calling anyone names, it is about BEDANDBREAKFAST.COM and their latest move...

Yes but remember that Innkeepers are also guests, I am an Innkeeper, however when I stay out, I am a guest. And I like to be treated the way I treat others
And we all know that guests have and are on this forum
Priceline, like hotwire offers 2 options - the "name your own price" where the hotel has to OFFER a deal and it's up for grabs the company that you stay with / fly with / drive with etc, and the "named" price which basically just what you have on your system and is downloaded to priceline / expedia etc and where you "know" ahead of booking where you will be staying
Now if you are an Inn in podunk like I am and do a "name your price" deal where I have given a low ball, the guest would not have a hard time guessing where they will be staying

Yes but remember that Innkeepers are also guests, I am an Innkeeper, however when I stay out, I am a guest. And I like to be treated the way I treat others
Priceline, like hotwire offers 2 options - the "name your own price" where the hotel has to OFFER a deal and it's up for grabs the company that you stay with / fly with / drive with etc, and the "named" price which basically just what you have on your system and is downloaded to priceline / expedia etc and where you "know" ahead of booking where you will be staying
Now if you are an Inn in podunk like I am and do a "name your price" deal where I have given a low ball, the guest would not have a hard time guessing where they will be staying.
agoodman said:
And NO ONE here said otherwise. You read into the statements here! The only issue here has to do with whether or not the B&B's will be required to offer deep discounts. And your further statement seems to clear at least shed some light that there are 2 options.
I do have the 'book it' feature on my listing and as long as it remains the same as expedia etc. where I quote my prices with no deep discounts, I will remain part of it for now. I remember when I signed up I had to agree for a year. I would not think they would force B&B's into the 'deal' option since this is different than the other sites.
I choose my prices - as long as they are not higher than on my site, I choose what dates to block and if I have a min. # of nights. We all are so familar with Wm S. commercials and the demands for cheaper rates... we can not help but have visions of this happening to us.

First of all, let me say something
THIS IS A B&B FORUM FOR INNKEEPERS. When stuff of this nature is posted it is how it will affect INNKEEPERS, not the guest, they can get their news ELSEWHERE thank you very much.
This discussion IS and SHOULD BE by innkeepers. Those who participate in the gorilla directory, those who have, those experiences with it. LET THEM SHARE THEIR PERSPECTIVES. No one is out to get anyone, no one is calling anyone names, it is about BEDANDBREAKFAST.COM and their latest move...

Now if you are an Inn in podunk like I am and do a "name your price" deal where I have given a low ball, the guest would not have a hard time guessing where they will be staying.
I give up.
Where in my concerns did I inferr that I was going to treat guests poorly???? The only discounts I give are for military who are coming from or going to a "hardship post" such as Afghanistan or Iraq. And I treat them with kid gloves. Let it go. You are not listening to me.
For some reason some people here are just looking for an argument.
Just drop it.
RIki

Back