BedandBreakfast.com takes on Select Registry?!?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muirford

Reaction score
This was just posted on the bandb.com Facebook page: "Take a look at our FIRST EVER **Diamond Collection** inn. The Diamond Collection is an exclusive group of professionally inspected and guest-reviewed luxury inns with extensive modern amenities."
And there is this Diamond Collection page on the innkeeper's portion of the website. Application fee of $999 to $1999; monthly fee of $199 and annual inspections (pretty comparable to Select Registry prices; SR inspections are every three years).

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX B&B,
We're delighted to announce the all new [COLOR= rgb(25,168,237)]BedandBreakfast.com Diamond Collection [/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(51,51,51)]and invite you to become a charter member. [/COLOR]

The Diamond Collection offers you an incredible opportunity to differentiate and market your property as part of an exclusive group of elite B&Bs and inns; properties are annually inspected, highly rated, and offer their guests the modern amenities that consumers demand. High visibility on BedandBreakfast.com and other marketing channels ensures that millions of potential guests will be introduced to the Diamond Collection.

[COLOR= rgb(25,168,222)]Introductory offer:[/COLOR]
Join the Diamond Collection by December 1, 2009, and get your choice of a free secondary listing (a $1,140 annual value).

Click here to learn more.

[COLOR= rgb(237,134,12)]Membership benefits[/COLOR]
  • Become a distinguished member of an exclusive group of premier properties on the leading B&B directory, reaching over 10 million potential guests per year.
  • Prominent placement on the BedandBreakfast.com home page.
  • Enhanced placement on country, state, region, city, and property pages of BedandBreakfast.com.
  • Differentiate and market your property as a member of the only collection of B&Bs and inns that are annually inspected, highly rated, and offer the modern amenities that guests demand.
How can I join?
You'll need to meet certain requirements, complete an application, and undergo a detailed inspection.
  • Each property must pass a comprehensive professional inspection measuring the property's quality, service, hospitality, accommodations, food, amenities, and more.
  • Each property must maintain top guest ratings and reviews on BedandBreakfast.com.
  • Each property must offer the luxury amenities that today's travelers require.
We're sure you'll have questions about this exciting new marketing opportunity for America's finest inns, and we look forward to talking with you soon.
Sincerely,

[tr][FONT= 'Arial']Willow Coyle
512-322-2704
800-462-2632 ext. 2704
[email protected][/FONT]
[/td][FONT= 'Arial']Rachel Rivas[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Arial']512-322-2792
800-462-2632 ext. 2792
[email protected][/FONT]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Not even the same demo as SR. This is for the big luxury inns. Read through the list of criteria, one of them is that you must participate in the B&B.com GC program!

Willow already told me what she thinks of me. I do not think they will be knocking on MY door.

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX B&B,
We're delighted to announce the all new [COLOR= rgb(25,168,237)]BedandBreakfast.com Diamond Collection [/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(51,51,51)]and invite you to become a charter member. [/COLOR]

The Diamond Collection offers you an incredible opportunity to differentiate and market your property as part of an exclusive group of elite B&Bs and inns; properties are annually inspected, highly rated, and offer their guests the modern amenities that consumers demand. High visibility on BedandBreakfast.com and other marketing channels ensures that millions of potential guests will be introduced to the Diamond Collection.

[COLOR= rgb(25,168,222)]Introductory offer:[/COLOR]
Join the Diamond Collection by December 1, 2009, and get your choice of a free secondary listing (a $1,140 annual value).

Click here to learn more.

[COLOR= rgb(237,134,12)]Membership benefits[/COLOR]
  • Become a distinguished member of an exclusive group of premier properties on the leading B&B directory, reaching over 10 million potential guests per year.
  • Prominent placement on the BedandBreakfast.com home page.
  • Enhanced placement on country, state, region, city, and property pages of BedandBreakfast.com.
  • Differentiate and market your property as a member of the only collection of B&Bs and inns that are annually inspected, highly rated, and offer the modern amenities that guests demand.
How can I join?
You'll need to meet certain requirements, complete an application, and undergo a detailed inspection.
  • Each property must pass a comprehensive professional inspection measuring the property's quality, service, hospitality, accommodations, food, amenities, and more.
  • Each property must maintain top guest ratings and reviews on BedandBreakfast.com.
  • Each property must offer the luxury amenities that today's travelers require.
We're sure you'll have questions about this exciting new marketing opportunity for America's finest inns, and we look forward to talking with you soon.
Sincerely,

[tr][FONT= 'Arial']Willow Coyle
512-322-2704
800-462-2632 ext. 2704
[email protected][/FONT]
[/td][FONT= 'Arial']Rachel Rivas[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Arial']512-322-2792
800-462-2632 ext. 2792
[email protected][/FONT]
[/td][/tr][/table].
OK, given the gang here knows you have shared baths, this seems to be a blanket emailing. Therefore not a 'select' group of B&B's as they imply in the email and on the website.
A goodly selection of us also do not have 'professional' photos on our websites.
I think the accepting of the GC's is something they want you to have to do of you want to participate.
Personally, I don't have the $1000 to risk on failing their inspection process. I can use that money elsewhere. Like for professional photos!

whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
money money money ... after the initial fee, $2400 a year just to stay listed???? oh wait, $2388. a year. that's more like it.
i should come up with a special registry HiddINN Gems ... for little places without deep pockets ... with in rez innkeepers, comfy beds, great breakfasts ... i'll go around and innspect each one before it gets the HiddINN Gem seal of approval.
willow? there was a willow at bbonline ... now that's weird. a 2nd willow? did willow jump ship?

• Guest rooms with private bathrooms ???? oops ... better close/reconfigure if you have any rooms with shared bath
    Current insurance coverage with at least US $1 million of comprehensive business liability -- $1 million? i don't know if we had that much coverage
  • Flexible check in and check out -- how flexible?????
  • Offers 24 hour per day guest accessibility what does this mean?
  • Maintains a 4.0 or higher BedandBreakfast.com consumer review rating -- not sure about how you get this?
  • 10 or more consumer reviews of BedandBreakfast.com ???? how do you get those???? will they take your application fee if you don't already have 10 reviews on their site showing 4.0 or higher ???
  • Proactively maintains high customer satisfaction ???? not sure ... i guess so. don't we all act in advance to deal with expected possible difficulty?

Wow, really now that is for boutique hotels with a lot more rooms than maybe 5, dontcha think? Sounds like a rip off to me, really now. They know that the majority of Bed and Breakfasts don't have more than 4 or 5 rooms, if that. wow.

• Guest rooms with private bathrooms ???? oops ... better close/reconfigure if you have any rooms with shared bath
    Current insurance coverage with at least US $1 million of comprehensive business liability -- $1 million? i don't know if we had that much coverage
  • Maintains a 4.0 or higher BedandBreakfast.com consumer review rating -- not sure about how you get this?
  • 10 or more consumer reviews of BedandBreakfast.com ???? how do you get those???? will they take your application fee if you don't already have 10 reviews on their site showing 4.0 or higher ???
  • Proactively maintains high customer satisfaction ???? not sure ... i guess so. don't we all act in advance to deal with expected possible difficulty?
seashanty said:
Where did you find this info? I click the more info button on that site and get a form to fill out. Not that I would qualify at all I just want to be nosey

you go to learn more and then read the terms and conditions
https://www.bedandbreakfast.com/Members/Terms.aspx#Diamond%20Collection%20Terms%20and%20Conditions
scroll down to diamond collection terms and conditions
there are more conditions in addition to those i was expressing some (or lots of) questions about
my old place had eight guestrooms, now nine. i had two rooms with shared bath. they now have three rooms with a shared bath.
bree's has seven
i've stayed at a lot of b&b's with approx. seven to eleven rooms in new england. i don't know what the majority of b&b's have for guest rooms nationwide. i wonder if that statistic is available. i'll see what i can find.
even though i had all those rooms, my overhead was very high. the cost for this membership is much too high ... even supposing i could meet their standards by closing the rooms with shared bath
i am hoping someone from bandb.com will come into the forum and explain about flexible check in and check out. being that we consistently have threads on the forum about guests wanting to check in earlier or later and/or stay earlier or later, and the strain that puts on the innkeepers (with or without staff) to get the rooms flipped ... what kind of flexibility?????? it is very very hard to get everything done in that small window of time we have. this requirement about flexibility speaks volumes. it implies to me that membership is for an inn with deep pockets and with staff that can be told 'hold off on cleaning the captain's loft for two hours and then run in there and clean it.' and what if the folks checking in to the captain's loft want to check in early? this is a requirement that needs serious clarification.
how can high standards of cleanliness be maintained if i have to run into a guestroom with no control over when my guests are coming and going? i think the explanation will be that not all guests will want to check out late or check in early ... but ... i am starting to really bristle at this. what happens when i say 'i am sorry mr and mrs guest, i CANNOT be flexible with you today and allow you to check in early because i was already flexible with mr and mrs priorguest who were staying a little longer today. ? or ... gosh i would love to give you my undivided attention this evening but i am exhuasted from waiting up til midnight last nite for a check in and then had to get up at five to start the breakfast. give me a break. i really want to know who thinks up these terms and conditions ... are they former innkeepers? ... former housekeepers? ... do they realize what they are saying? again, i think they are assuming ... big place with staff.
we are flexible when we CAN be. but do we HAVE to be? how you run your establishment is your choice. your way. if you allot four tight hours to clean eight guest rooms, you need a schedule and a routine or you will have people showing up at the door wanting to check in to rooms that have not been made ready. chaos!
haha ... why is this upsetting me so?
angry_smile.gif

i guess it's because i see a coming implication (if this takes off like select registry) that those with a bandb.com listing who don't belong to the diamond collection of b&b/inns are somehow inferior to those that do

okay ... it looks like a survey from paii shows the typical b&b has between 4 and 11 rooms with 6 rooms being the average.
that 94% have private baths
and that 93% offer free wi-fi
i would love it if someone from paii or someone with a paii membership that can see these reports and surveys confirms or corrects this

https://www.bedandbreakfast.com/Members/Terms.aspx#Diamond%20Collection%20Terms%20and%20Conditions
there are more conditions in addition to those i was expressing some (or lots of) questions about
my old place had eight guestrooms, now nine. i had two rooms with shared bath. they now have three rooms with a shared bath.
bree's has seven
i've stayed at a lot of b&b's with approx. seven to eleven rooms in new england. i don't know what the majority of b&b's have for guest rooms nationwide. i wonder if that statistic is available. i'll see what i can find.
even though i had all those rooms, my overhead was very high. the cost for this membership is much too high ... even supposing i could meet their standards by closing the rooms with shared bath
i am hoping someone from bandb.com will come into the forum and explain about flexible check in and check out. being that we consistently have threads on the forum about guests wanting to check in earlier or later and/or stay earlier or later, and the strain that puts on the innkeepers (with or without staff) to get the rooms flipped ... what kind of flexibility?????? it is very very hard to get everything done in that small window of time we have. this requirement about flexibility speaks volumes. it implies to me that membership is for an inn with deep pockets and with staff that can be told 'hold off on cleaning the captain's loft for two hours and then run in there and clean it.' and what if the folks checking in to the captain's loft want to check in early? this is a requirement that needs serious clarification.
how can high standards of cleanliness be maintained if i have to run into a guestroom with no control over when my guests are coming and going? i think the explanation will be that not all guests will want to check out late or check in early ... but ... i am starting to really bristle at this. what happens when i say 'i am sorry mr and mrs guest, i CANNOT be flexible with you today and allow you to check in early because i was already flexible with mr and mrs priorguest who were staying a little longer today. ? or ... gosh i would love to give you my undivided attention this evening but i am exhuasted from waiting up til midnight last nite for a check in and then had to get up at five to start the breakfast. give me a break. i really want to know who thinks up these terms and conditions ... are they former innkeepers? ... former housekeepers? ... do they realize what they are saying? again, i think they are assuming ... big place with staff.
we are flexible when we CAN be. but do we HAVE to be? how you run your establishment is your choice. your way. if you allot four tight hours to clean eight guest rooms, you need a schedule and a routine or you will have people showing up at the door wanting to check in to rooms that have not been made ready. chaos!
angry_smile.gif

i guess it's because i see a coming implication (if this takes off like select registry) that those with a bandb.com listing who don't belong to the diamond collection of b&b/inns are somehow inferior to those that do.
Thanks for posting this for me.
Now see, these conditions sound like something more doable for a little hotel with overnight staff, etc. With staff, period. This is impossible for a couple of innkeepers to achieve.
But you are right to wait for someone to come here and explain it.

bree's has seven
angry_smile.gif

i guess it's because i see a coming implication (if this takes off like select registry) that those with a bandb.com listing who don't belong to the diamond collection of b&b/inns are somehow inferior to those that do.
i guess it's because i see a coming implication (if this takes off like select registry) that those with a bandb.com listing who don't belong to the diamond collection of b&b/inns are somehow inferior to those that do
Us inferior inns will be raking in the guests who cannot afford to stay at those places who will have to charge beaucoup bucks to pay for all the fees and requireds. I do not really want Madam BigBucks who will look down her nose at me and my City. It is like Madam $50 tip for the housekeepers that she said did not change the sheets. Her I do not need.
Funny thing, one night we had a couple from Pittsburgh who booked in here for the night on their way to The Homestead. They wanted to get a couple hours down the road after work to make it an easier drive the next day. Nice people. Big difference in accommodations though.

It was a program very similar to this one that chased me away from our state's B&B association. It was implemented and managed poorly, and they were unwilling to consider reasonable changes, so I (and dozens of other Inns in the state) skated the association.

bree's has seven
angry_smile.gif

seashanty said:
And you have to pay the money to prove you are not inferior.
If the 'flexibility' part does entail allowing early check in/late check out then the flexibility part for the guest will have to come in in NOT requiring they get a specific room. So, rooms will no longer be specialized, you sell a 'queen room' or a 'king room'. The guest arrives at noon, they get whatever is clean.

bree's has seven
angry_smile.gif

seashanty said:
And you have to pay the money to prove you are not inferior.
If the 'flexibility' part does entail allowing early check in/late check out then the flexibility part for the guest will have to come in in NOT requiring they get a specific room. So, rooms will no longer be specialized, you sell a 'queen room' or a 'king room'. The guest arrives at noon, they get whatever is clean.
I think those requirements are telling on the part of the strategy behind this - remember, Eric said one time that they had the staff of a 'medium-sized' inn of 30 rooms. That's pretty big as far as most of us are concerned. I'm not sure how they define accessibility - in Select Registry the requirement is that guests can contact you (or an innkeeper) if you are not on site. There is no requirement for flexible check-ins that I know of. Hotels don't even always allow early check-ins - I've cooled my heels at one very pricey resort in Bermuda when my plane got in early. They didn't even have rooms ready at the actual check-in time.

Excuse me while I vent a little....
While I don't have a problem, per say, with b&b creating such a 'collection' so to speak; I do however have a issue with the preception that these are B&B's. As discussed by others, those that have THIS kind of advertising budget (surely they are not dumping all in one basket) they must be more like a boutique hotel, a country inn or a small resort type of facility...one that has staff etc.
And while I believe in having individuality, I do feel that there needs to be some sort of guidelines of what constitutes a B&B from an Inn or boutique hotel. I do not know about what type of calls each of you get but I get calls all the time asking me questions about what a B&B is. All I tell them is what type of B&B I am and what I provide. I had one guy that booked with me (guess he did not ask those guestions) that arrived and said 'oh, this is a HOUSE?' was very reluctant to stay in someone's home that he did not know.... he said he thought it was a hotel...that he stayed in another that was more like a hotel. (recall reading a similar post on this forum recently).
This is something I think PAii could work on nationally. Each state currently has different laws regarding what constitues a B&B, wouldn't it be nice if they all were the same - or at least close to the same. It would help our guests know what type of facility they were booking as well. I recall several years ago HI had placed the words 'bed and breakfast' on their signs. FL who has some very strict laws on accommodations made them remove those signs as they did not meet the requirements of a bed and breakfast in their state.
Now back to the current issue and I say it is GREAT that b&b is doing so well and expanding BUT I think they are doing us, the small mom&pop b&b's a disservice (as well as their customers) by having these listings appear on a website where people are looking for a bed and breakfast. Since this directory is so very popular I see why they want to expand using it, but I feel they should make a link to this new 'collection' as well as seperate the other boutique hotels and larger inns from the current listings. I can see it now - Bullet with link - "Diamond Collection" - with description of types of establishments are listed Bullet with link "Boutique Hotels and large Inns" - with description and Bullet with link "Quaint B&B's" - with description....
Well this is my 2 cents...and as we know that doesn't get much these days.

While I don't have a problem, per say, with b&b creating such a 'collection' so to speak; I do however have a issue with the preception that these are B&B's. As discussed by others, those that have THIS kind of advertising budget (surely they are not dumping all in one basket) they must be more like a boutique hotel, a country inn or a small resort type of facility...one that has staff etc.
And while I believe in having individuality, I do feel that there needs to be some sort of guidelines of what constitutes a B&B from an Inn or boutique hotel. I do not know about what type of calls each of you get but I get calls all the time asking me questions about what a B&B is. All I tell them is what type of B&B I am and what I provide. I had one guy that booked with me (guess he did not ask those guestions) that arrived and said 'oh, this is a HOUSE?' was very reluctant to stay in someone's home that he did not know.... he said he thought it was a hotel...that he stayed in another that was more like a hotel. (recall reading a similar post on this forum recently).
This is something I think PAii could work on nationally. Each state currently has different laws regarding what constitues a B&B, wouldn't it be nice if they all were the same - or at least close to the same. It would help our guests know what type of facility they were booking as well. I recall several years ago HI had placed the words 'bed and breakfast' on their signs. FL who has some very strict laws on accommodations made them remove those signs as they did not meet the requirements of a bed and breakfast in their state.
Now back to the current issue and I say it is GREAT that b&b is doing so well and expanding BUT I think they are doing us, the small mom&pop b&b's a disservice (as well as their customers) by having these listings appear on a website where people are looking for a bed and breakfast. Since this directory is so very popular I see why they want to expand using it, but I feel they should make a link to this new 'collection' as well as seperate the other boutique hotels and larger inns from the current listings. I can see it now - Bullet with link - "Diamond Collection" - with description of types of establishments are listed Bullet with link "Boutique Hotels and large Inns" - with description and Bullet with link "Quaint B&B's" - with description....
Well this is my 2 cents...and as we know that doesn't get much these days..
Copperhead, I could not agree more!

Well this is my 2 cents...and as we know that doesn't get much these days..
do however have a issue with the preception that these are B&B's. As discussed by others, those that have THIS kind of advertising budget (surely they are not dumping all in one basket) they must be more like a boutique hotel, a country inn or a small resort type of facility...one that has staff etc.
This was the crux of my argument when the rates hit the stratosphere. I was going to pay the same amount for my listing as a 30 room inn and would be vying for placement with something that is a hotel - not a B & B. IMNVHO if it is large enough to have 24/7 desk clerks and a housekeeping staff, it is NOT a B & B, it is a hotel. Hotels do NOT belong on a bed & breakfast Directory. Start another Directory.

Back