Bedding advice For ME not the B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Tipsy Butler

Reaction score
OK - I'm looking for a summer weight "down blanket". I hate sleeping in an a/c room but still sleep best when covered with something (plus even in the hottest months a Maine dawn can be delightfully chilly). A lightweight down blanket sounds like the perfect compromise and so I have spent too much time looking on line and pontificating.
Then I remembered I had the perfect focus group at my fingertips, so I am asking you, my gurus of bedding, if you have any recommendations. I don't want a top sheet and in theory I'd rather not have my usual duvet covers so I'm also looking for something that is machine washable (even if the label says dry clean only).
Thanks everyone.

I have never heard of a down blanket before, only down duvet, comforter etc. I would like to see what comes up here.
Of course I could say "GET A SNUGGIE!' ha ha
wink_smile.gif

I have never heard of a down blanket before, only down duvet, comforter etc. I would like to see what comes up here.
wink_smile.gif
P921657dd.jpg

This is the kind of idea. This is from Overstock and only has a twin size and is not machine washable (although I think you probably could).

wink_smile.gif
P921657dd.jpg

This is the kind of idea. This is from Overstock and only has a twin size and is not machine washable (although I think you probably could).
Something like that is what I use for our cooler months here in the South - down alternative. I bought some at Target and others at Tuesday Morning. No more than $39 for King size. They held up very well and were washine washable.

Day trip to Cuddledown? Lunch with a friend?.
hmmm - now doesn't that sound like The Perfect Plan. Shame on me for even needing an excuse to come visit. Sometimes I think we worry too much about Other Peoples down time. We would love to have lunch (and maybe even a tour?)

Are you not wanting a simple quilt or comforter? This can be a disease you know, wanting to buy more and more linens...I know of a room that should be updated again...oh no... :)

That looks like what I have on my bed and I love it. I even wash it, but line dry (loves line dry). Good luck

Are you not wanting a simple quilt or comforter? This can be a disease you know, wanting to buy more and more linens...I know of a room that should be updated again...oh no... :).
Nooooooo ....... you have no idea the guilt trips I put on myself before buying anything for us.
Seriously - You may well be right. We have a superb (B&B hand-me-down) duvet. But it's perfect for a Maine winter. Not for summer.
Here's my very dubious and almost certainly inaccurate thought process:
A quilt needs a sheet and I REALLY don't like sleeping with a regular top sheeted bed - although it does feel wonderful once in a while (ie in someone elses B&B).
A duvet is my #1 sleeping preference.
In theory we get a second, light-weight duvet, but I have it my tiny mind that a simple "down blanket" that I can throw in the wash and use with nothing else is the uncomplicated way to go. I think I may have found "The Ideal" but it's NOT cheap (and I like cheap for us)
ResizeImage.aspx

All-natural comfort and no wrinkles! The 412 thread count, 100% Egyptian cotton cover is luxurious, down-proof and wrinkle-free for a neat appearance. Box stitched in 6” squares to keep the down fill from shifting, the 550 fill power blanket provides lightweight warmth. Well-finished with coordinating 2” satin binding all around. Machine washable.

Are you not wanting a simple quilt or comforter? This can be a disease you know, wanting to buy more and more linens...I know of a room that should be updated again...oh no... :).
Nooooooo ....... you have no idea the guilt trips I put on myself before buying anything for us.
Seriously - You may well be right. We have a superb (B&B hand-me-down) duvet. But it's perfect for a Maine winter. Not for summer.
A quilt needs a sheet and I REALLY don't like sleeping with a regular top sheeted bed - although it does feel wonderful once in a while (ie in someone elses B&B).
In theory we get a second, light-weight duvet, but I have it my tiny mind that a simple "down blanket" that I can throw in the wash and use with nothing else is the uncomplicated way to go. I think I may have found "The Ideal" but it's NOT cheap (and I like cheap for us)
ResizeImage.aspx

All-natural comfort and no wrinkles! The 412 thread count, 100% Egyptian cotton cover is luxurious, down-proof and wrinkle-free for a neat appearance. Box stitched in 6” squares to keep the down fill from shifting, the 550 fill power blanket provides lightweight warmth. Well-finished with coordinating 2” satin binding all around. Machine washable.
Ohhh, I like!!!! Care to share where you found this?

ResizeImage.aspx

Ohhh, I like!!!! Care to share where you found this?
Linen source - it's their Private Essential Down Blanket. I have to admit, it's really floating my boat right now, but JB hit a super sensitive nerve. I must have something that I can make do with.

Day trip to Cuddledown? Lunch with a friend?.
hmmm - now doesn't that sound like The Perfect Plan. Shame on me for even needing an excuse to come visit. Sometimes I think we worry too much about Other Peoples down time. We would love to have lunch (and maybe even a tour?)
The Tipsy Butler said:
Anytime sweetie!

ResizeImage.aspx

Let me jump in here on the satin binding...I have that on all of my new blankets and it is horrible. I know this is just for you, but if you even THINK about touching that satin binding with any kind of lotion on your hands or face- INSTANT stain.
I'm going to try removing the satin binding and replacing it with an easily-washable, coordinating cotton print fabric.

ResizeImage.aspx

Let me jump in here on the satin binding...I have that on all of my new blankets and it is horrible. I know this is just for you, but if you even THINK about touching that satin binding with any kind of lotion on your hands or face- INSTANT stain.
I'm going to try removing the satin binding and replacing it with an easily-washable, coordinating cotton print fabric.
Ahh Crap. I think I over think when it comes to spending money on us cos it happens so rarely. Do I care about the staining ..... maybe not if it feels good and I can sling it in the wash.

ResizeImage.aspx

Ahh Crap. I think I over think when it comes to spending money on us cos it happens so rarely. Do I care about the staining ..... maybe not if it feels good and I can sling it in the wash.
More 'oh crap'- I had to soak it in peroxide for a half hour before it would come clean. Not something I can do everyday for the guests.

I just bought a year-round goose down comforter from Bed Bath and Beyond for $79.20 (with a 20% off coupon). It was in the "discontinued" pile right next to the exact same "new" one that was priced at $199.00. Same exact comforter, different color packaging for $100.00 less! Crazy! But I am happy!!
regular_smile.gif

Has anyone tried Comphy products? I saw this quilted blanket of theirs at a B&B conference and was impressed. I am thinking of getting a set of this microfiber stuff to try myself and see how it goes.
Quilted_Blankets_4acf21a7b65b6.jpg

I just bought a year-round goose down comforter from Bed Bath and Beyond for $79.20 (with a 20% off coupon). It was in the "discontinued" pile right next to the exact same "new" one that was priced at $199.00. Same exact comforter, different color packaging for $100.00 less! Crazy! But I am happy!!
regular_smile.gif
Country Girl said:
year-round goose down comforter
Y'all are giving away your co-ordinates.
confused_smile.gif
Nothing southuhn about year-round goose down, unless your a goose.

Has anyone tried Comphy products? I saw this quilted blanket of theirs at a B&B conference and was impressed. I am thinking of getting a set of this microfiber stuff to try myself and see how it goes.
I use the sample they sent on my own bed (which is what they want you to do) but honestly I prefer the 100% cotton percale that can get crisp when ironed. The sheets are pretty, and practically wrinkle-free but I have never been crazy about that microfiber feel and still don't care for it. But that's just me, lots of innkeepers love it and the Inn at R iverbed has sold several sets to guests.

I use the sample they sent on my own bed (which is what they want you to do) but honestly I prefer the 100% cotton percale that can get crisp when ironed. The sheets are pretty, and practically wrinkle-free but I have never been crazy about that microfiber feel and still don't care for it. But that's just me, lots of innkeepers love it and the Inn at R iverbed has sold several sets to guests.
Thanks for that, Jeanne. I also can't get past that 100% cotton feel, but I'll probably just give the sheets a try anyway. Was it a free sample? I seem to remember an email about samples, but I can't find it on either computer.

Back