Beds and footboards

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have both here, the 2 antique beds with footboards are hard to make but two others have low footboards (a little higher than the one pictured) and are easy to make.
The plus to having some sort of footboard is the fact of having a place for comforter. It is common thing here to have the quilt or comforter on the floor of the room without a foot board. EVEN though we do have blanket racks in each room..
To clarify a footboard ENCLOSED like sleigh bed is what Arkie is talking about right? Other footboards are not an issue, 4 poster beds, etc, I think the sleigh bed high and enclosed footboard look is what we are all on about!
Joey Bloggs said:
To clarify a footboard ENCLOSED like sleigh bed is what Arkie is talking about right?
Yes, enclosed like in the first photo above. But I wish I had mentioned in the question that it would be on a king sized bed (nearly 7 feet long). Also, the bed would be changed by a housekeeper, so difficulty in working with it isn't such a concern for me.
embaressed_smile.gif
I like the look of the high footboard, and adding to the guest's postive experience at my place is more important than convenience to me and the staff (within reason, at least). But the point that it's nice to be able to sit at the foot of the bed is well taken.
I might get one high one and do the other rooms with the lower one. Still thinking it over. Still have a few months before time to buy. Today we picked out floor, wall and countertop materials and colors, kitchen cabinetry and lighting. The project is finally to the fun stages!
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
To clarify a footboard ENCLOSED like sleigh bed is what Arkie is talking about right?
Yes, enclosed like in the first photo above. But I wish I had mentioned in the question that it would be on a king sized bed (nearly 7 feet long). Also, the bed would be changed by a housekeeper, so difficulty in working with it isn't such a concern for me.
embaressed_smile.gif
I like the look of the high footboard, and adding to the guest's postive experience at my place is more important than convenience to me and the staff (within reason, at least). But the point that it's nice to be able to sit at the foot of the bed is well taken.
I might get one high one and do the other rooms with the lower one. Still thinking it over. Still have a few months before time to buy. Today we picked out floor, wall and countertop materials and colors, kitchen cabinetry and lighting. The project is finally to the fun stages!
Arkie, my baby brother is 6'5", my little/big brother (younger than me but taller) is 7'1", my sister is almost 6'. I am the runt of the family at 5'7". I have had guests who were 6'8". I stand by my statement dump the high footboard. The footboard that does not come higher than the mattress is fine, over the mattress height - no.

We have both here, the 2 antique beds with footboards are hard to make but two others have low footboards (a little higher than the one pictured) and are easy to make.
The plus to having some sort of footboard is the fact of having a place for comforter. It is common thing here to have the quilt or comforter on the floor of the room without a foot board. EVEN though we do have blanket racks in each room..
To clarify a footboard ENCLOSED like sleigh bed is what Arkie is talking about right? Other footboards are not an issue, 4 poster beds, etc, I think the sleigh bed high and enclosed footboard look is what we are all on about!
Joey Bloggs said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Arkie, my baby brother is 6'5", my little/big brother (younger than me but taller) is 7'1", my sister is almost 6'. I am the runt of the family at 5'7". I have had guests who were 6'8". I stand by my statement dump the high footboard. The footboard that does not come higher than the mattress is fine, over the mattress height - no.
gillumhouse said:
I stand by my statement dump the high footboard. The footboard that does not come higher than the mattress is fine, over the mattress height - no.
OK. That's the overwhelming consensus...like 100%. High footboard is dumped. Tall people win again!
Now, what about "eastern" king vs. California king. Eastern is 4" wider. California is 4" longer. My own thinking is that wider wins here. Looking at my fellow Americans, they're getting wider a lot faster than they're getting taller, and need all the bed width they can get!

Joey Bloggs said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
embaressed_smile.gif
I like the look of the high footboard, and adding to the guest's postive experience at my place is more important than convenience to me and the staff (within reason, at least).
Let me be the first to say- bad attitude! Your staff's ability to get the job done definitely impacts your guests' experience with you. If your staff all end up with back pain, barked shins and the like, they are much less likely than you would be to quit and go work some place where it's easier to get the job done!
You'll be paying the person so the faster they can get the job done, the less you have to pay, unless you're hiring for a set number of hours.
It's also a reason to avoid furnishings that need a lot of looking after. Dust catchers as my mother would call them. Knick knacks and the like. Heavy draperies. Ornate mirrors and chandeliers. So much furniture that it is hard to run the vacuum. Remember, all that furniture has to be moved to get around the sides. So, make sure it either is enclosed on the bottom or it is high enough that the vacuum can go under and around it. (One place we stayed obviously had never moved any furniture to vacuum and the space between the dresser and the wall was not quite wide enough for the vacuum- the forest green carpet was gray with dust.)

Joey Bloggs said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
embaressed_smile.gif
gillumhouse said:
I stand by my statement dump the high footboard. The footboard that does not come higher than the mattress is fine, over the mattress height - no.
OK. That's the overwhelming consensus...like 100%. High footboard is dumped. Tall people win again!
Now, what about "eastern" king vs. California king. Eastern is 4" wider. California is 4" longer. My own thinking is that wider wins here. Looking at my fellow Americans, they're getting wider a lot faster than they're getting taller, and need all the bed width they can get!
Arkansawyer said:
In this case I would go with what you can more easily find bedding for.

Joey Bloggs said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
embaressed_smile.gif
I like the look of the high footboard, and adding to the guest's postive experience at my place is more important than convenience to me and the staff (within reason, at least).
Let me be the first to say- bad attitude! Your staff's ability to get the job done definitely impacts your guests' experience with you. If your staff all end up with back pain, barked shins and the like, they are much less likely than you would be to quit and go work some place where it's easier to get the job done!
You'll be paying the person so the faster they can get the job done, the less you have to pay, unless you're hiring for a set number of hours.
It's also a reason to avoid furnishings that need a lot of looking after. Dust catchers as my mother would call them. Knick knacks and the like. Heavy draperies. Ornate mirrors and chandeliers. So much furniture that it is hard to run the vacuum. Remember, all that furniture has to be moved to get around the sides. So, make sure it either is enclosed on the bottom or it is high enough that the vacuum can go under and around it. (One place we stayed obviously had never moved any furniture to vacuum and the space between the dresser and the wall was not quite wide enough for the vacuum- the forest green carpet was gray with dust.)
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Also, the bed would be changed by a housekeeper, so difficulty in working with it isn't such a concern for me.
embaressed_smile.gif
Let me be the first to say- bad attitude!
Oh yes, I know. That's why I used the embarassed emoticon after I said it! Horrible thing to say. That's why I give them money for doing the work. I really don't see many people quitting because my footboards are higher than they like.
But not an issue now. There will be no high footboards. Happy tall people, happy staff, happy pocketbook!

"I really don't see many people quitting because my footboards are higher than they like."
Good luck with that Arkie. People are lazy and don't want to work, even tho the news says so many people DO want to work. The best part about it is IF you are not hands on, who is checking on their work? I hired someone - twice and both total failures in the cleaning department, I had to do more than they did to start out with! It was way way more work than just doing it myself. I only wish someone would come along and say "I will do this and do it right!" but it is rarely the case.
Everyone appears eager to work and do the job, and they were paid well...
PS I didn't start the sidetrack on this thread...haha
wink_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Also, the bed would be changed by a housekeeper, so difficulty in working with it isn't such a concern for me.
embaressed_smile.gif
Oh yes, I know. That's why I used the embarassed emoticon after I said it! Horrible thing to say. That's why I give them money for doing the work. I really don't see many people quitting because my footboards are higher than they like.
But not an issue now. There will be no high footboards. Happy tall people, happy staff, happy pocketbook!
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
embaressed_smile.gif
I don't think you have any idea how difficult it is to find good employees. You may be singing a different tune once opened. We find it immensly difficult to find a great employee and make every effort to keep them happy so they stay. It takes a lot more than just money to get and retain not only good working help but also those who feel proud of the B&B and loyal.
And take if from someone who is making her own beds. It is not a matter of "like" with the high footboards. It's also health. I find it hard enough as it is wthout a footboard to lift the mattresses to tuck the sheets and blanket under. It's hard on the hands and wrists.
As far as I can see here it is not the young who are willing to work at a B&B, it's the older generation. And I want to keep them healthy and happy as they are the BEST and most LOYAL people ever. I have the most wonderful innsitters who don't balk at anything I throw them and I would be lost without them.
Riki

"I really don't see many people quitting because my footboards are higher than they like."
Good luck with that Arkie. People are lazy and don't want to work, even tho the news says so many people DO want to work. The best part about it is IF you are not hands on, who is checking on their work? I hired someone - twice and both total failures in the cleaning department, I had to do more than they did to start out with! It was way way more work than just doing it myself. I only wish someone would come along and say "I will do this and do it right!" but it is rarely the case.
Everyone appears eager to work and do the job, and they were paid well...
PS I didn't start the sidetrack on this thread...haha
wink_smile.gif
Some of my grumpiest days are the ones when we have new hires. I hate the training, hate having to follow them around and correct them. However, a few weeks into it, not so bad. I like the time it frees up for me. Still, even after years, I do have to go and do spot checks and I am surprised by what is missed.
You're right about finding people. We advertise exactly what the job entails and the hours and we get calls for 'front desk staff'. Then the people who will actually do the work can't work weekends and want to come in at 3 PM. I am sorely tempted to ask them when they think they guests arrive?
One summer we did have a college girl who loved to clean. The house never looked better!

Joey Bloggs said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
embaressed_smile.gif
I have a high school kid cutting & edging the grass, pulling out poison ivy and other vines, and trimming my hedges. I pay him $10 an hour. He is rarely here more than 1 1/2 hours, at most 3 1/2 and I always round up. BUT the last time it was cut I did it because he did not come over. I will probably keep him until he graduates but then we will go with a lawn service. $10 per hour is a decent wage here for adults.

Joey Bloggs said:
embaressed_smile.gif
also you have to think about the view of the television from the bed we had a problem with our 4 poster room and the view of the Tv was lined up wrong with the post so you could n't see it properly. So as a tip and this is on the hotel inspectior mark out in the room where everything will go so you can line up all the plugs, light switches and so on makes life a lot less difficult later on. Also put in double the amount of sockets you think you need.

Joey Bloggs said:
embaressed_smile.gif
also you have to think about the view of the television from the bed we had a problem with our 4 poster room and the view of the Tv was lined up wrong with the post so you could n't see it properly. So as a tip and this is on the hotel inspectior mark out in the room where everything will go so you can line up all the plugs, light switches and so on makes life a lot less difficult later on. Also put in double the amount of sockets you think you need.
For us it was the post that guests (men) had leaned on while getting the spiel - so it was loose and DH pixed it with a dowel rod. A grade school classmate visited and HE is the one who finally told me it interferred with the TV and how to fix it - pick it up and move it to the corner. It is not a canopy bed thank goodness.

Back