Beds in front of windows

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
My dear friend went thru and critiqued my room layouts yesterday by looking at the pix online. (She's coming over sometime to help me 'stage' the rooms and then take more (better) pix.)
Anyhoo...she suggested I move the king bed so it is in front of the 2 big windows at the front of the house. I'm pondering this.
Here are my concerns...
  1. From the street, what you'll see looking at the house is that bed blocking the window (should I get inside shutters if I move the bed?),
  2. Can't open the windows if the bed is in front of them (there is another big window in the room),
  3. I'm not sure I like the look of a bed in front of the window.
What do you think? Do you need to see pix of the room to decide? If you look at the floor plan it's the Fogg room I'm talking about. Where the bed is now it is up against the bathroom wall of another room and I have had complaints about the noise.

Don't do it. Many people will feel uncomfortable sleeping that way.

I took a look. Hard to tell based on the photo without seeing the windows. I'd have to physically move the bed there to try it out. For me a lot of it depends where the lines of the headborad and bed fall on the shape and size of the window. I'd try that first before investing in shutters. ;)

For what it's worth, I don't like beds in front of windows either, and I don't have any positioned like that here. Also, in feng shui, it is considered bad luck to position a bed facing a door (it's called the 'corpse' position). Actually, I have two rooms where that is the case - that the bed faces the door.
Can you place the bed under the other single window leaving the two bigger ones free? I have seen that work, and you could use a curtain rod with drapes behind the entire bed to disguise the imbalance.
Jeanne

For what it's worth, I don't like beds in front of windows either, and I don't have any positioned like that here. Also, in feng shui, it is considered bad luck to position a bed facing a door (it's called the 'corpse' position). Actually, I have two rooms where that is the case - that the bed faces the door.
Can you place the bed under the other single window leaving the two bigger ones free? I have seen that work, and you could use a curtain rod with drapes behind the entire bed to disguise the imbalance.
Jeanne.
I know the Feng Shui corpse thing, I hate having to put beds that way and in some rooms it's unavoidable! Putting this bed under the other window puts the bed right next to the bathroom door, another layout I don't like. Plus it would then be under the A/C unit in what is really a dark corner. Like Swirt, I have to drag the furniture around to see whether it works or not. This being a king bed it would almost completely cover the big windows, but it would center nicely. It's a scrollwork metal bed, not solid wood, but still, I think it would make the room really dark.
I don't really want to put the bed in front of the window. My friend is an interior designer but she was only looking at the pix online, not at the room itself. ANd what she REALLY wanted me to do was get rid of all the wallpaper. Most of my rooms are some shade of blue and she wanted different colors. Yeah, right, on the list with everything else I have to do...
regular_smile.gif

I also agree that beds facing doors is kinda icky, but most of the time there is no other way to do it. I also don't lke to walk into the guest room and run into the bed. But room size and layout depicts where the bed(s) end up going. Most of the time you have no choice.
Example: Our room that had two twin beds, they were on each side of a window and faced a blank wall. BORING. Now it is a king bed and looks out the windows, much much nicer. BUT the bed sits between a closet door and the bathroom door. So there is not an inch to put a beside table there.
What I did was put a tall lamp with long cord so it could go over bedside the bed if a guest wanted to use it there, but meanwhile it is beside a wingback chair.
It stinks, but there is nothing else I can do. And having the bed facing out instead of a wall, a bathroom door and a closet door is MUCH NICER.
PS I have a delay every time I type something here and I screw it up and make all sorts of typos. What I type is in a small font, not the same as what is posted. Sorry for the errors

I also agree that beds facing doors is kinda icky, but most of the time there is no other way to do it. I also don't lke to walk into the guest room and run into the bed. But room size and layout depicts where the bed(s) end up going. Most of the time you have no choice.
Example: Our room that had two twin beds, they were on each side of a window and faced a blank wall. BORING. Now it is a king bed and looks out the windows, much much nicer. BUT the bed sits between a closet door and the bathroom door. So there is not an inch to put a beside table there.
What I did was put a tall lamp with long cord so it could go over bedside the bed if a guest wanted to use it there, but meanwhile it is beside a wingback chair.
It stinks, but there is nothing else I can do. And having the bed facing out instead of a wall, a bathroom door and a closet door is MUCH NICER.
PS I have a delay every time I type something here and I screw it up and make all sorts of typos. What I type is in a small font, not the same as what is posted. Sorry for the errors.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
PS I have a delay every time I type something here and I screw it up and make all sorts of typos.
I'm not sure I follow what you mean by a delay? Is this something I need to look into or are you just saying it takes a while for you to come back in and edit it?
Now that we are shifting toward smaller fonts I will make what gits displayed in the editor match more closely what gets displayes when you save the post.

PS I have a delay every time I type something here and I screw it up and make all sorts of typos. What I type is in a small font, not the same as what is posted. Sorry for the errors.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
PS I have a delay every time I type something here and I screw it up and make all sorts of typos.
I'm not sure I follow what you mean by a delay? Is this something I need to look into or are you just saying it takes a while for you to come back in and edit it?
Now that we are shifting toward smaller fonts I will make what gits displayed in the editor match more closely what gets displayes when you save the post.
It is slow for me, not sure how it is for everyone else. Ex: When I click on 1 NEW to bring up the 1 new, it delays and I try to scroll immediately and cannot do this, which is why the scrolling was getting wearisome to some of us.
The same with the REPLY button. I click REPLY then start to type and the box has not even appeared, then I end up hitting some of the formatting toolbar stuff.
Could just be my machine here. (?) See I had this box open to reply and then had to scroll down to click SAVE.
I'm sorry all this is driving you crazy. I am just reporting in so you know what I see on my end. I really am a patient person (NOT!!!)

Jeanne.
I know the Feng Shui corpse thing, I hate having to put beds that way and in some rooms it's unavoidable! Putting this bed under the other window puts the bed right next to the bathroom door, another layout I don't like. Plus it would then be under the A/C unit in what is really a dark corner. Like Swirt, I have to drag the furniture around to see whether it works or not. This being a king bed it would almost completely cover the big windows, but it would center nicely. It's a scrollwork metal bed, not solid wood, but still, I think it would make the room really dark.
I don't really want to put the bed in front of the window. My friend is an interior designer but she was only looking at the pix online, not at the room itself. ANd what she REALLY wanted me to do was get rid of all the wallpaper. Most of my rooms are some shade of blue and she wanted different colors. Yeah, right, on the list with everything else I have to do...
regular_smile.gif

I don't like a bed in front of a window.
I also don't like it facing the door if it can be avoided at all, especially as a traveler. It's somehow less private. Like, if hubby gets up early and goes downstairs for coffee and I'm still in bed, there's that chance someone could be walking by and have a clear view in. Just not as nice a feeling. Is that weirdly paranoid?

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
It is slow for me, not sure how it is for everyone else. Ex: When I click on 1 NEW to bring up the 1 new, it delays and I try to scroll immediately and cannot do this, which is why the scrolling was getting wearisome to some of us.
The same with the REPLY button. I click REPLY then start to type and the box has not even appeared, then I end up hitting some of the formatting toolbar stuff.
Could just be my machine here. (?) See I had this box open to reply and then had to scroll down to click SAVE.
I'm sorry all this is driving you crazy. I am just reporting in so you know what I see on my end. I really am a patient person (NOT!!!)
Hmmm I haven't run into that, so it is good to know. When I get some of the formatting stuff better nailed down I can compress the css and scripts so that they load more rapidly as one file instead of a bunch of separate files, but then I can't alter things as easilly. Let me go turn a few dials and see if this improves for you.

Jeanne.
regular_smile.gif

I don't like a bed in front of a window.
I also don't like it facing the door if it can be avoided at all, especially as a traveler. It's somehow less private. Like, if hubby gets up early and goes downstairs for coffee and I'm still in bed, there's that chance someone could be walking by and have a clear view in. Just not as nice a feeling. Is that weirdly paranoid?
Not at all 'weirdly paranoid'. Especially as my hubs doesn't generally lock the door behind him when he gets up early.

I have no problem with a bed facing the door, but I don't usually like them in front of windows. Looking at the floor plan, though, it seems to make a lot of sense. Would you have to move the lamps, though?
As far as wallpaper... I just did my first wallpapering job. Not hard, but it sure was tedious and not something I have time to do often. I'd be working with what I had...
I'm finally through with LONG days (even longer nights) of getting ready for our grand opening Open House and now that I'm catching up on posts I have to get used to all new screen names. When I first saw yours I wondered who you were. But it's probably good that you have changed, as you weren't really incognito with your last one. All I needed to do was a Google search with your screen name, town and state to find out who you were.
=) Kk.

I have no problem with a bed facing the door, but I don't usually like them in front of windows. Looking at the floor plan, though, it seems to make a lot of sense. Would you have to move the lamps, though?
As far as wallpaper... I just did my first wallpapering job. Not hard, but it sure was tedious and not something I have time to do often. I'd be working with what I had...
I'm finally through with LONG days (even longer nights) of getting ready for our grand opening Open House and now that I'm catching up on posts I have to get used to all new screen names. When I first saw yours I wondered who you were. But it's probably good that you have changed, as you weren't really incognito with your last one. All I needed to do was a Google search with your screen name, town and state to find out who you were.
=) Kk..
We have moved the lamps in other rooms. Actually, when we put in the king bed we moved that one so it was centered on the bed. It's not a really big deal. Obviously in front of the window it wouldn't work with those lamps! What we do is just put a long picture over the bracket in case we ever want to rearrange the room again. (See the Lillian for an example. The queen bed used to be on the wall where the ballerina picture is.)
I'm certainly not incognito here having posted a couple of links already. I would have to sign up with a whole new account to really be incognito!

=) Kk..
Do you have a pet? It seems a lot of pets are showing up here as innkeepers.
teeth_smile.gif

From a Feng Shui prospective, the bed facing the door is best. I don't know what they would say about a bed under the window.
My only guest room has the bed in front of the window, but it is a big window that looks out onto the 1st floor porch and would have to have drapes covered anyway for privacy. I haven't had any comments about it in front of the window. I have a pretty drape over the window behind the headboard.
I ran into the same problem you have with your room. If I moved the bed it would have to be on the inside wall and you have to walk around the bed to get to the closet or to anything else. It will be interesting to see what your friend comes up with.

From a Feng Shui prospective, the bed facing the door is best. I don't know what they would say about a bed under the window.
My only guest room has the bed in front of the window, but it is a big window that looks out onto the 1st floor porch and would have to have drapes covered anyway for privacy. I haven't had any comments about it in front of the window. I have a pretty drape over the window behind the headboard.
I ran into the same problem you have with your room. If I moved the bed it would have to be on the inside wall and you have to walk around the bed to get to the closet or to anything else. It will be interesting to see what your friend comes up with..
It always amazes me how many designers put the bed in front of a window in many of the HGTV "makeover" shows. I don't like it at all. To me it says, "this room is so small, this is the only place the bed will fit."
Of course with many B & B bedrooms, that may be the only place it will fit
embaressed_smile.gif

=) Kk..
We have moved the lamps in other rooms. Actually, when we put in the king bed we moved that one so it was centered on the bed. It's not a really big deal. Obviously in front of the window it wouldn't work with those lamps! What we do is just put a long picture over the bracket in case we ever want to rearrange the room again. (See the Lillian for an example. The queen bed used to be on the wall where the ballerina picture is.)
I'm certainly not incognito here having posted a couple of links already. I would have to sign up with a whole new account to really be incognito!
OK...I agree with the others about beds in front of windows & also beds facing doors to a point, but I think I see where your friend is headed with this. From what I can tell from the floor plan and looking at your room photo online, the guest will really be looking at the wall of the bathroom of that room when they open the door, which gets rid of the looking at the bed objection for me. Seems like she's trying to get you the appearance of more room as you enter the room, which is a great idea & maybe more room on both sides of the bed? It looks tight there with the door opening to a dresser & the wall & the little nightstand. I think this is the goal. If you had a bed with a huge Eastlake headboard or something, that would definitely be a no-go for me, but the iron headboard makes a difference. Depending on how much light is coming in through those windows, it could be nice for reading in the morning. I wouldn't put the bed there if your window A/C unit was in one of those windows, but I think you said it was in the other one. I would try it & see if it opens the room up for you.
eta: Also, if it does open the room up, you could actually do some kind of neutral fabric treatment above the bed which would enlarge the appearance of that area of the room as well and would tone down the wallpaper if that's another goal.

I ran into the same problem you have with your room. If I moved the bed it would have to be on the inside wall and you have to walk around the bed to get to the closet or to anything else. It will be interesting to see what your friend comes up with..
hawley said:
I tried to change this and it didn't work. Bed should not face the door if possible.

I tried to make changes but it didn't work.
I am just trying to figure out how things work and failing lots of things.

Back