Beer cans in a trash in the closet

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
What would you do, empty the trash or close the door like you didn't see them and respect the fact that they did put them in the closet?
It is never a good sign when guests arrive toting a cooler/igloo at check in. But having shook their hands, held the door open for them to haul it in and up the stairs, we felt that it would be okay. They did show for breakfast and were cordial enough to the other guests.

Our only cooler-totin' guests left the cooler (still quite full) for us when they left. Works for me!
=)
Kk.

Hey, around here beer cans are worth 5 cents each, I'd empty the trash! They may have stuck the trash in the closet because they didn't want to smell it all night.
Edited to add that if you're asking because the closet door was shut and you're wondering if they're going to be thinking 'hey they snooped in our stuff!' then unless it reeked, I guess I'd leave it. But I wouldn't leave it if I could smell it when entering the room or if it was drawing bugs.

Yeah, we had 3 young ladies haul up a large cooler one night. Hubby and I work for a cop shop, and didn't want any trouble. We went onto the patio and politely confronted them about it, not wanting a "party hardy" atmosphere. They were very nice and assured us they were of legal age and invited us to look in the cooler.
In the end, they were good guests and yes, empties are worth 5 cents around here, too!
A more recent guest devoured 2-12 packs in 2 nights (him alone) but he was polite and never seemed intoxicated. Me, I'd be under the table!
C

As long as they don't trash the room or cause a disturbance, what the guests do in their room is their business. "Don't ask, don't tell"
However, I'll draw the line if there is any indication of illegal substance use. I'll call the sheriff's office then.

as long as no beer is leaking out of the bag onto the floor, i'd leave them and assume they plan to take them when they go. if that's a concern, i'd maybe put the bag into a wastebasket in the closet if you have one big enough. maybe they just don't want to leave a mess in the room.
we have the deposit fee, too, like bree.

I'm going to change my answer slightly...I don't throw anything out that's not in the trash can or leaning on the trash can if it didn't fit. Mostly because a lot of guests end up returning items they shopped for after everything is tried on. I don't want to get rid of a receipt or a box they might need. Also, lots of guest like to hang on to their local paper if there was something they didn't read, so no tossing of newspapers if they're not in the trash.
Now, back to the beer cans...if they were sloppy, smelly or drawing bugs I'd remove them. If they were fine, but in the closet, leave them. If they were in the trash can in the closet I'd throw them out. (Because they're in the trash regardless of where the trash can is. But the open/closed closet door scenario still holds, along with the smell factor.)

Maybe they are recyclers and are going to take the cans home with them:) As long as there is none leaking on the floor, I wouldn't bother them.

As an ecofriendly inn we have recycling bins in the guestrooms so they recycle beers cans, wine bottles, plastic water bottles etc. Most guests use the bin. Very few throw them in the trash can.

As an ecofriendly inn we have recycling bins in the guestrooms so they recycle beers cans, wine bottles, plastic water bottles etc. Most guests use the bin. Very few throw them in the trash can..
cedarhouse said:
As an ecofriendly inn we have recycling bins in the guestrooms so they recycle beers cans, wine bottles, plastic water bottles etc. Most guests use the bin. Very few throw them in the trash can.
We're a very ecofriendly inn and as of this week have now been included in two magazine articles about "green" lodging in our region.
That's us, not all of our guests though. Almost 40% of our total guests come from a state nearby where anything "green" is antithetical(sp?) to their perceived sense of "proud americanism" and so we can't bang folks over the head with our philosophy if we expect to stay in business for the long haul.
I can't count the number of folks who ignore the little green bedside "We recycle" signs and automatically throw any and everything in the trash and we pull on the rubber gloves to sift through it all.
Even some of the loudest "green" talkers we host don't walk the talk. Give me the folks who don't say a word about tree hugging but do all the right things as a daily habit not to impress others.
Espcecially on the water consumption end of things. They'll show up in a Prius to take advantage of our "drive green" discount, then throw everything in the trash, use 100 gallons of water each showering three times a day, leave every light on in the room then be gone all day or night, crank the A/C and leave for a few hours, walk around in shorts in December wanting the heat turned up more, etc..
What will drive me nuts the most is the on again off again guests. One day they will follow me around with empties, scraps of paper, plastic anything, etc. in hand to make sure I'm recycling. Then another day, I'll go to fluff their room and it all is in the trash.

As an ecofriendly inn we have recycling bins in the guestrooms so they recycle beers cans, wine bottles, plastic water bottles etc. Most guests use the bin. Very few throw them in the trash can..
cedarhouse said:
Hey Fred, welcome to the forum!!!
We recycle here... I could use some bins for our rooms. Where did you get yours?
=)
Kk.

On the subject at hand, I'd concur with most who felt it was important to respect the guest's privacy as long as no mess, bad smell or bad behavior was evident.
Some folks might be a little embarrassed about how much they drink and don't want their host thinking less of them.
We've certainly had our fair share of heavy drinkers, some of which become a problem for other guests and us, but we've also had some folks who once I've seen the number of empties they created, I've winced and grabbed my own fragile liver, but they never gave us an ounce of worry.
Happy, quiet drinkers I can relate to. The noisy, disruptive, obnoxious or angry and confrontational drunks get dealt with promptly and given only one chance and one option. Get with the program around here, or get going. We'll gladly eat the leftover revenue as long as they leave and no other guest is further disturbed.

The update is they took their trash with them. They were very nice folks, didn't skip breakfast, were great with the other guests. Not obnoxious or loud or anything, so it was A-Okay. Thanks for the feedback.

cedarhouse said:
Hey Fred, welcome to the forum!!!
We recycle here... I could use some bins for our rooms. Where did you get yours?
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
We have them in the guest rooms, too. They're the "under desk" size. I got them at Canadian Tire, but Staples also carries them.

Back