Before the stay contact

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I spoke to an innkeeper this week who said these words at the end of the phone call "We are really looking forward to meeting you" which I thought was just fantastic. It "seemed" very sincere. A new inn, new innkeepers, don't know me at all, but just a nice way to end the call.
I know at times I end it with "Drive safely and we will see you next week!" or something, but his tone was so pleasant it made a statement.
Do you just rent rooms or do you have all prior-to-the-stay contacts in a pleasant and welcoming way? I have stayed at inns where you don't even get a confirmation, others where you do get a confirmation and it is just the facts m'am, and nothing personal, nothing inviting. How about on the confirmation: Check our blog for upcoming events, or here is a list of restaurants I know you will really enjoy, or something just a bit more than the dates and prices and directions.
Have you ever looked at your correspondence and phone conversations to evaluate it's friendliness level? We are in the hospitality business, are we being hospitable?

Oddly enough just saw this on twitter..
Not sure this is a good thing, but we practice new recipes on repeat guests. We tell them we do this because we know they'll give us an honest opinion on what should stay and what should go. And, I find it easier to take criticism from people who I know already like the place!
It's part of us trying to treat people well. By giving them the opportunity to 'participate'.

Joey Bloggs said:
I know at times I end it with "Drive safely and we will see you next week!" or something, but his tone was so pleasant it made a statement.
Two things I leaned in business classes, regarding phone contact with customers, are:
  1. Have scripts so, once you work out the right thing to say, you say it the right way. Of course, this relies on you being a good enough actor to make it sound like you are not reading from a script!
  2. Smile as you speak on the phone. Even though the customer can't see you, if you smile as you say it, it will come across as more sincere.

Joey Bloggs said:
I spoke to an innkeeper this week who said these words at the end of the phone call "We are really looking forward to meeting you" which I thought was just fantastic. It "seemed" very sincere. A new inn, new innkeepers, don't know me at all, but just a nice way to end the call.
If I talk to them on the phone I always end with, "We look forward to seeing you next week/month/soon." I send a confirmation and it starts with: Hello from College House Bed and Breakfast! Thank you for making a reservation to stay here! We look forward to having you with us. If you would like to review our policies or find directions please visit our website at..."
It ends with: "Again, thank you very much for your reservation. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us. Sincerely..."
Yes... we need to be enthusiastic. People want to stay at the place that wants them.
=)
Kk.

Joey Bloggs said:
Two things I leaned in business classes, regarding phone contact with customers, are:
  1. Have scripts so, once you work out the right thing to say, you say it the right way. Of course, this relies on you being a good enough actor to make it sound like you are not reading from a script!
  2. Smile as you speak on the phone. Even though the customer can't see you, if you smile as you say it, it will come across as more sincere.
Arkansawyer said:
Smile as you speak on the phone. Even though the customer can't see you, if you smile as you say it, it will come across as more sincere.
You bet ya that helps you to 'sound' friendly. I do this as well, well 99% of the time. Sometimes those grumpy people get the best of me.
cry_smile.gif

My confirmation email ends with 'looking foward to your visit'. If it is a new guest and I am on the phone, I do end with 'I look forward to meeting you'. Some times I get the same back. People like to hear that.

Back